PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Fast Attack choice?

foostoofoo
08-17-2009, 04:45 AM
So what's it guna be guys, the unkillable Nurgle bikers? The devastating Tyranid Raveners? The crushing Space Marine Assault Squads?

So I want to know your favourite fast attack choices and why?

Legionary
08-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Chaos Spawn. :D

What? Ok... I really like Space Marine Attack Bikes. For their cost, you get a hugely mobile and relatively safe platform for a Multimelta that, to protect their armour, your opponent will often prioritise fire against over your more lethal armoured elements.

Schnitzel
08-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Hmmm.... Melta toting Nurgle Bikers? A bit expensive... any good?

My personal favorite, Khornate Raptors with Flamers. :D

Dan-e
08-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Necron Destroyers

vman
08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
IG - Hellhounds
Eldar - Swooping Hawks for their haywire grenades (for taking out that pesky tank/Titan) and grenade packs capable of removing a large pie plate worth of GEQ

Dosadi
08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I’m going to have to go with the new IG Valkryie. It’s been a long time coming for Guard to be able to do a proper Air Cav army.
“I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.”

Dosadi

person person
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Valk alll the way, I was able to make a Whirlwind with the spare rocket pods. It looks awesome, and able to destroy any vehicle with a lucky Hellstrike missile, then a lascannon.

boo_barr
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
I know nob bikers get a lot of love, but I like their cousins, the Deffkoptas, even better. Scout Move on a jetbike, plus they can all have power-claws and twin-link str8 ap3 weapons. So if you get turn 1, that means you're deffkoptas moved 24" over all terrain, and can now move another 12" before shooting or assaulting. Delicious.

Ulag Grimskar
08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
As for Orks, I just love Stormboyz, fast and killy like they should be, but recently also Killakoptaz, outflanking doom for any rear armour under 14 :p

Playing my Sisters I enjoy a 4 Flamer or 4 Melta Squad of Dominators in a Rhino, or the same loadout with a Flamer or Melta less in an Immolator. These gals set guys hearts on fire....

One of my regular opponents is using Marines a lot, and I´ve gotten a healthy respect for Land Speeders. Fast, cheap and very deadly, they rarely survive showing their faces, but before they go, they usually take something vital with them. They are somewhat less dangerous in 5th Edition, but they still are a pain to deal with. Also, Assault Squad with Chaplain, hate those guys!

keithsilva
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Space marines- Landspeeders, marine bikes, and assault squad
Eldar, Vypers and warp spiders
Necrons- Destroyers

Thiselton
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Chaos Spawn... What other fast attack have the Slow and Purposeful rule? I mean really!

Valdore
08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
After todays battle, Banewolf. 2 squads of Vanguard dead (bar one guy) in one turn from a single weapon? And the other guy dead by heavy bolter afterwards, 600+ points taken out by a 130 point tank :D

Ironically, that was two fast attack units dead by one fast attack unit ;)

Dingus
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
IG Banewolf's with hull mounted Multi Meltas.

Faultie
08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
From the 4th ed Kroot Mercs list: Kroot Hound Pack - 20 Kroot Hounds, 19 Kroot, 1 Shaper, all fleeting, deploying 18-d6" away from enemies.
That's 117 S4 attacks and 4 S8 Eviscerator attacks on a charge (assuming everyone can get into melee).

Vulture Kindreds are pretty nifty too (12pt jump-troops!)

person person
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
After todays battle, Banewolf. 2 squads of Vanguard dead (bar one guy) in one turn from a single weapon? And the other guy dead by heavy bolter afterwards, 600+ points taken out by a 130 point tank :D

Ironically, that was two fast attack units dead by one fast attack unit ;)

:D WOW, The new reason I don't use vanguard.

Bulwark
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
It's got to be the stormboys. 18" move + charge? yes, thank you very much.

clkeagle
08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Space Marines - bikes. They may be costly, but they have style and are still effective.
Orks - Deffcoptas, for the same reasons. But one unit of Stormboys usually finds its way into my larger lists.
IG - Valkyrie so far, but I really want to try the new Hellhound variants.
Arbites - Pursuit squads are a blast. Haven't had much luck with Storm Teams yet.

AsgeirArnald
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Chaos Spawn. :D

HA!!!

Lately I've been a big fan of Chaos Raptors with meltas. Seems to work pretty well. Plus they just look cool.

ZenPaladin
08-18-2009, 09:46 AM
With my Tau its the Pathfinders. Markerlights = choice. I often choose that you get no cover save. ;)

With the Cron's its the Destroyers but honorable mention to the Swarms. My scarab swarms moved into dificult terrain last planet strike game and over the course of several turns ate 7 out of 10 Thousand Son's.

the_killer23
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Vendettas/Valkyries.

Herald of Nurgle
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I will honestly say that Chaos Spawn are the Fast Attack unit that is my favorite. Note that is is FAVORITE and not MOST SUCCESSFUL.

Nuff Said. I have 25 of the buggers

Duke
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Im going with MM attack bikes, I dont know how many times people ignore my attack bikes to shoot at my Baal pred...Silly people.

blueshift
08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
i tried 8 vanguard veterans w/o jump packs wielding 3 thunder hammers with vulkan in a land raider last weekend and they ended up destoying 50 models in a single close combat (because they ran and got chewed up).

Alien
08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I know nob bikers get a lot of love, but I like their cousins, the Deffkoptas, even better. Scout Move on a jetbike, plus they can all have power-claws and twin-link str8 ap3 weapons. So if you get turn 1, that means you're deffkoptas moved 24" over all terrain, and can now move another 12" before shooting or assaulting. Delicious.

I would 100% agree with this statement, I also love the rules about Zagstruk and his vulchas, any unit that could end up pasting themselves all over the ground when the appear on the scene in their haste to kill is alright by me.
IMO favorite to me means fun and narrative not just plain killy.

BuFFo
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Banewolf....

Ask my marine opponents why.

PedroKantor
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
After last mondays game... im a big fan of the landspeeder storm w melta. also giving sergeant a powerfist. Move up as close as possible when deploying, make 24" scout move, first turn move another 12", hopefully to the rear of your opponents most scary vehicle. bamn... although it really only works once as people tend to catch on quick, also you can pretty much guarentee that its a throw away unit, as your opponent will be pretty mad and usually throw everything at em after that...
slightly cheezy though

Pariah Stevo
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Deffcoptas are amazing, but i absolutely love my rokkit buggies TL rokkit launches, fast, 35pts apiece. not to mention that the most effective way to use them is as mobile cover for da boyz. Cheapest headache in the game. Of Coarse the IG Devil Dogs make me wanna play IG.

Shas'O D'Narb
08-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Gun Drones... because the idea of having robots fail morale, regroup, and then - dice willing - never fail morale again amuses me. Besides that, I suppose that they protect my Broadsides from assaults and never get in the way of their shooting.

Thirteen
08-23-2009, 03:52 AM
My personal favorite unit in the entire game is Nurgle bikers, they are the main reason why I decided to play chaos in the first place.

PedroKantor
08-27-2009, 02:59 PM
My personal favorite unit in the entire game is Nurgle bikers, they are the main reason why I decided to play chaos in the first place.

Damn I am just starting a Death Guard Army and have never really been a fan of bikers.. but T6.. that is pretty brutal... gonna have to get me some too I think!

KINGS
08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
IG Scout Sentinels. I just love being able to outflank with lascannons and autocannons. They mince SM tanks and all the IG light chasses. They also work great against light infantry that stray too close to the board edge…

Exitus Acta Probat
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Vendettas (toting or not toting melta/flamey death)...
Awesome model,
Awesome cost/output ratio,
Awesome Army compliment,
Unmatched flexibility with Allies in the mix,
and did I mention
Awesome model... :)

Or SM Bikes (just give me a new da## model...something to mix it up!) :rolleyes:

EmperorEternalXIX
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
The best advice I ever got regarding my space marine codex was to rip out about 70% of the unit descriptions and pretend they were never there.

As such, there are really only a handful of fast attack choices in my version of the codex: Land Speeders, LS Storms, Assault Marines, and Attack Bikes. When you compare point costs of all those things in effective builds versus their utility and survivability, there is really only one choice left to make -- the Speeders, by far, are the best FA choice in the book.

person person
08-29-2009, 12:33 AM

That takes the winds of Nurgle to a whole new meaning.:D