PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk!

ChaosLord127
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Alright it's out! Just wanted to open a thread to talk about all things Space Hulk!

I unfortunately wasn't into GW when SH was out, so I guess I missed out on the older version, but this new one looks fantastic! $100 seems a little steep to me though... oh well, I'm hoping maybe I can grab one before they run out.

As for gameplay... what's it like? lol

BuFFo
08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
When I played the game 16ish years ago it was pretty fun. :rolleyes:

Aldramelech
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
£58!!!!! I don't bloody think so!

There is no way in hell I'm parting with that kind of money for what looks to me like a re-hash of the the basic game.

I remember about 5/6 years ago a discount chain of bookstores were selling the old one off for £10 each and they couldn't give em away.

Is this what all that fuss was about? Is this the best they can do?

Very, very disappointed.

Gotthammer
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Huge Space Hulk fan. I've got two original boxes, Deathwing and Genestealer (which sucks rules wise IMO).

It plays nothing like 40k in the slightest, and is very easy to learn, but hard to master. It's also good for introducing others to the game, my girlfriend and I took a set when we went on holidays - her idea too - and she had a great time playing (won half the time and I wasn't going easy either).

Really looking forward to this new version. It looks like it should play a mix of Deathwing, 2nd Ed and some of the WD and Journal expansions.

Gotthammer
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
£24 for 5 terminators, £14 for 8 genestealers. Just buying the models alone would cost around £80, and not including the metal librarian and broodlord. Most boardgames sell for about £15-30, and are produced in massive quantities compared to this set (which drives prices up). Very few of them include 30 odd large, highly detailed plastic playing pieces either. Seems quite reasonable to me.

And try getting a copy of the game now, you'd be looking at at least 50-60 USD, up to high three figures for a complete set. And if those discount stores had the 2nd ed ones (as would be more likely) I'm not suprised they couldn't give them away. The terminators in the pics had grass on their bases for crying out loud!

energongoodie
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I loved original Space Hulk and the expansions. I still have them all in good order but I couldn't resist buying 2 sets of the new one.
As with any game with a board, it is very tactical. In order to win you have to think. You can't just throw some models down run forward, roll some dice and hope, which is how 40k games at my local store seem to go. If some of the new guys pick it up and get good then I'm looking forward to better games not only of Space Hulk but across the range.
I really can't wait. Roll on September.

Beamo
08-17-2009, 09:35 AM
It seems like an absolute bargain to me. even if the rules are a rehash, so much of what you pay for is the minis and other game pieces. my mouth waters just looking at the terminators; they really pulled out the stops to make each one look like he was a true hero of the Imperium.

I for one am so glad they did this, as I haven't had a good game of Space Hulk in over a decade.

person person
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I couldn't have played Space Hulk if i wasn't for some guy that brang the original to my gaming store, its nothing like 40k, but even those terminators were like the AoBR ones 'cept they had rotating waists, AWESOME!!!

But these terminators look amazing and has anyone looked at the plastic Librabian pic?

Cherub
08-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Lets be honest there is nothing wrong with the old rules for Space hulk, and by the number of flame counters that come with the game there has been some small changes. And by just going off what it would cost me for termies never mind the librarian and the nids I am still ahead. Question is are they the same scale as regular termies? And if they are why are the 1 piece termies that come with a board game look better than the multi piece termies that I have to buy in the store? And if they can make 1 piece models that look like these ones why are they bothering with the multi piece models? Id rather just have them from space hulk.

Beamo
08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Because it's for a limited release. They needed everything to be unique to the game to help secure interest.

It's 40k scale, fyi. :)

Drunkencorgimaster
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

There is no way in hell I'm parting with that kind of money for what looks to me like a re-hash of the the basic game.

Aldramelech, Aldramelech, Aldramelech...tisk, tisk. When are you and I going to stop expecting GW to behave like a company with an ounce of shame.

recceboy
08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Still bought 2 of them regardless, like the look of the tremies and plan to swap with another guy tremies for Nids.

vman
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I think for the price its excellent

It gives you an all in one system that you can just go out and start playing asap... no need to buy more

Plus the amount of minis easily overcomes the price. Even if you didnt give two hoots about space hulk someone out their wants those minis and is willing to pay half the price of a game to get them

Aldramelech
08-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Aldramelech, Aldramelech, Aldramelech...tisk, tisk. When are you and I going to stop expecting GW to behave like a company with an ounce of shame.

I know, what was I thinking! lol

Snarf
08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
H*ll the price is even good for us SA folk. Remember we pay 13/14 Rand to the Pound.:eek:..

But done a few sums and just to buy the models it would cost me about 114.70 pounds.

So 58.00 Pounds for Models and a game is alright in my book.:rolleyes:

Ps i also collect both troops choices. So SCORE for me.:D

Lord Anubis
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I find myself wondering how "limited" this run really is. Knowing what it costs to set up a set of plastic molds (especially the stainless steel ones you'd need for this level of detail), it just doesn't make any financial sense to only use them a few times and never again. I mean, even past GW's lapses of logic-- why would you stop using a set of molds you paid a fortune for when you've got people willing to pay for that product? Why let them sit and gather dust?

This is part of the reason it took years to see new Genestealers or Space Marine bikes-- they had working molds that were paid off and still working fine, which means pure profit. So they kept using them until the molds finally broke and then it was time for new 'stealers...

I wonder if this is a limited run. And then there'll be a limited run with Ultramines-blue terminators and Leviathan-white genestealers. And then a limited run of Ravenwing-white terminators and Kraken-red 'stealers. And then a limted run of Salamander-green termies...

All for over $100 a pop, naturally. They're limited, after all...

Valdore
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
They have been careful, and as has been mentioned by others, it is a one-print run. Whether this means till the moulds break as I don't know of any other board game with models that has had a one print run . . .

However, it could be that they use the moulds for future termies and genestealers if they're at the right scale, or as Anubis says, different themed runs. I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Pietia
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
It would be rather difficult to use the termies to do a different themed run - they have the Blood Angels iconography on them (take a look at the photos). Using the moulds for future termies also does not look like a likely option to me - the moulds are for plastic minis, GW already has moulds for plastic terminators, which are more flexible.
My bet is on this: the current Space Hulk run is "limited", but there will be another one. Maybe it will be more expensive, maybe it will have slightly different contents (floors printed on thinner cardboard, no timer...). Maybe it will be exactly the same and will be "brought back due to repeated requests from fans". Everybody will be happy (with the possible exception of people, who paid a lot for the "limited" Space Hulk on e-bay).

Maine
08-18-2009, 05:00 PM

The quality of parts appears to be a notch above that of a Fantasy Flight Games big-box game, and the quantity of parts seems to be on-par with them. Those games tend to go for about the same price.

foostoofoo
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Lord Anubis;8849]I find myself wondering how "limited" this run really is. Knowing what it costs to set up a set of plastic molds (especially the stainless steel ones you'd need for this level of detail), it just doesn't make any financial sense to only use them a few times and never again. I mean, even past GW's lapses of logic-- why would you stop using a set of molds you paid a fortune for when you've got people willing to pay for that product? Why let them sit and gather dust?

Unfortunatley my friend this is limited edition, 75000 copies are available world wide and 2000 of them sold by 2PM on the day after the release in the UK alone (figures come from a GW manager I spoke to) so I wouldn't hope that another will be released and then be dissapointed, if you want it I suggest getting it now!

I bought 4 of them 2000 :)

gwensdad
08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Bad me at gaming store today: "Space Hulk-a-Mania is running Wild! Oh YAH Brother!" All in that "Hulk Hogan" voice. Kinda glad I wasn't shot at. :D

Lord Anubis
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Unfortunatley my friend this is limited edition, 75000 copies are available world wide and 2000 of them sold by 2PM on the day after the release in the UK alone (figures come from a GW manager I spoke to) so I wouldn't hope that another will be released and then be dissapointed, if you want it I suggest getting it now!

Ummmmm... yeah. We all know they keep saying it's a limited run. Many thanks for clarifying... ;)

Let's just run the numbers, though. Which was the point I was making.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the molds for the Land Raider sprues cost just over one million dollars to manufacture. It's been about ten years, and this looks like more spures, but let's say that price holds.

About 8,500 units sold will just cover the cost of the molds. Nothing else. Let's double that amount to cover sculptors, printing, and the general work in revisiting the rules one way or another.

Which means, out of that limited run, more than 20% of it is GW just breaking even. Assuming prices are the same as they were ten years ago. If we wanted to be pessimistic, I could probably knock it up to 25% and no one could really say I'm being outrageous. Not bad, but also not the greatest profit margin on earth.

So,with that in mind, why would they stop making them? It's like saying Warner Brothers is going to release 75,000 DVDs of The Dark Knight and then never again!! ;)

We'll see all this stuff again.

ChaosLord127
08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Regardless of the price and whatnot, I am definately going to grab one of these purely for the game itself... the models are just an added bonus.

I might finally be able to see what this game is all about, it looks friggin fun though!

oni
08-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Perhaps GW isn't overly concerned with maximizing profits with this release. :P

voodoodood
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Just been in my local Store and seen the open sample box set, the Terminators are on a par with Marneus and his honour guard in regards to detail and poses. The sheer crispness of detail is seriosly astounding. £60 for £70 worth of awesome marine models plus the genes plus a kick *** game system you can play on a tiny table. GW spends aprox 5-6 MILLION pounds ( yes MILLION )a year on its plastic production and uses technology only available to doctors and dentists, and beleive me it shows. Well done guys.

L192837465
08-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Ummmmm... yeah. We all know they keep saying it's a limited run. Many thanks for clarifying... ;)

Let's just run the numbers, though. Which was the point I was making.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the molds for the Land Raider sprues cost just over one million dollars to manufacture. It's been about ten years, and this looks like more spures, but let's say that price holds.

About 8,500 units sold will just cover the cost of the molds. Nothing else. Let's double that amount to cover sculptors, printing, and the general work in revisiting the rules one way or another.

Which means, out of that limited run, more than 20% of it is GW just breaking even. Assuming prices are the same as they were ten years ago. If we wanted to be pessimistic, I could probably knock it up to 25% and no one could really say I'm being outrageous. Not bad, but also not the greatest profit margin on earth.

So,with that in mind, why would they stop making them? It's like saying Warner Brothers is going to release 75,000 DVDs of The Dark Knight and then never again!! ;)

We'll see all this stuff again.

You also need to remember that 1) that million dollar price tag was including all other costs of sculpters etc, and 2) this is using a far more inferior plastic designed for 1 piece cast molds. Thats it. I'd say total production cost of this game was $750k, in which case they'll break even at 15ish%. fairly reasonable i'd say.

Snarf
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if there are rules to use other armies instead of SM? I'm pretty sure the Chaos would like a go? Not to mention the green Oks.

eldargal
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
The SH models are not single piece.

You also need to remember that 1) that million dollar price tag was including all other costs of sculpters etc, and 2) this is using a far more inferior plastic designed for 1 piece cast molds. Thats it. I'd say total production cost of this game was $750k, in which case they'll break even at 15ish%. fairly reasonable i'd say.

Herald of Nurgle
08-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Hmm... Who here isn't going to be using these as an ish-Honour Guard retinue then?

closetgamer
08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Played Space Hulk at my local GW this afternoon and it only took about 10 minutes to understand the rules - it is awesome - as good as the 1st edition.

Link to what I can remember about the rules here:

http://closet1gamer.blogspot.com/

The terminators alone are worth the price of the box and it's an awesome system to play. And so, so tough to win.

Dragonslayer261
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
SH was the reason I started 40k. The metal Terminators were the coolest minitures out at the time. I hope this one lives up to it's predecessor. The new Termies look great. I hope it leads to more poses and different chapters.

Liquidice
08-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Just FYI since alot of people are commenting on prices of termies and the space hulk box. I have no idea if this is a known fact or not, so don't flame me, but a games-workshop employee commented on the models and stated that they were made of lower-quality plastic. I think he might have mentioned it was about the same quality as second edition plastic or lower. He also went on to state that the details were still amazing....Just my 2 cents..

Slaanesh
08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Just FYI since alot of people are commenting on prices of termies and the space hulk box. I have no idea if this is a known fact or not, so don't flame me, but a games-workshop employee commented on the models and stated that they were made of lower-quality plastic. I think he might have mentioned it was about the same quality as second edition plastic or lower. He also went on to state that the details were still amazing....Just my 2 cents..

They are made out of colored plastic, they are on display at my local gw as well and the Detail on the terminators and the Brood lord are great!

icecube
08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Our store is going to get 90 copies of space hulk, and as i pre-ordered it yesterday at the store an employee told me taht they has allready sold like 30% of the boxes. The release is after all 2 weeks away.:)