PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Fluff?

Jearden
08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
So in the video for Space Hulk at about :23 there is some writting.

++The Blood Angels have returned++
++We come to avenge nine hundred and fity dead++
++Time does not heall all wounds++

This sounds like some vague fluff I heard rumor of. That the Blood Angel Chapter was mauled by nids and now Daunte wants revenge against them all.

Can anyone back this up? Or debunk it? Maybe all of this is just set up for the new BA and Nid codex's comeing in early 2010?

Opinions?

gwensdad
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I can think of a few possibilities:

-the Blood Angels are being "written out" and destroyed. 950 dead in a chapter? That's no more chapter, even if it was "overstrength" the Imperium would write them off as gone.

-the 950 refers to another chapter, maybe of BA descent, that was destroyed and the Blood Angels are avenging them.

-the Blood Angels keep encountering this same Hulk over the ages and assaulting it. They've lost 950 marines over the centuries to multiple assaults against it.

Bigred
08-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Nope, that is the original fluff from Space Hulk they have kept. In their entire history since the Great Crusade the Blood Angels had only really been mauled once, by that particular space hulk.

They boarded it not expecting anything big, and awoke countless genestealers which swarmed the boarding parties, and then boarded several docked vessels. The chapter barely fought their way clear and was almost destroyed.

The setting of the game is hundreds of years later, after the chapter has recovered, the hulk reappears in space. The Blood Angels move in for vengeance, and to reclaim their honor.

Without seeing the rules, I dont know the specific details of what they have changed, but we will find out soon enough.

BlueRonin
08-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Interesting toi note that this fluff points to a chapter recovering from approximately 95% casualties in 100 years...

Emperorsmercy
08-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Are Blood Angels expected? I thought they'd been done recently...

Steakhouse
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Interesting toi note that this fluff points to a chapter recovering from approximately 95% casualties in 100 years...

Hundreds, BigRed said hundreds.

Rafe_131
08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I get that the BA's want retribution....And to regain their honor and all that jazz....But wouldn't it be more cost effective to just nuke the hulk? I get that space hulks can carry untold riches in the form of lost tech and the like....But if they took 95% casualties the first go around......

Either way it's a really cool concept and storyline. I'd like to read some of the novels about it.

robertsjf
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM

600 years. One of the most disasterous incidents in BA history. #2 next to Papa Sanguini getting done in by Uncle Horus....

I get that the BA's want retribution....And to regain their honor and all that jazz....But wouldn't it be more cost effective to just nuke the hulk? I get that space hulks can carry untold riches in the form of lost tech and the like....But if they took 95% casualties the first go around......

You said it: regain honor, get abunch of dark tech loot. Well worth and entire chapter, but this time, they're ready for it....

Karrik
08-20-2009, 09:41 AM
The Lamenters (Lambs) got eaten by the 'nids.

In Ian Watson's Space Marine a boarding action by the fresh into Carapace Scouts includes a dialog with a Zoat emissary.

Later Lex runs into a Blood Angel after a little spat with some little bearded miners.

It is all in there.

Gotthammer
08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
They meet a Blood Drinker, but that's when they're scouts - he tells them about the Titans.

They are full marines of several campaigns when they board the tyranid ship and talk to the Zoat (who implies the Lamenters gave themselves to the nids willingly as they saw the folly of resisting/the awesomeness of the hivemind lifestyle). There's nothing about the Blood Angels boarding hulks in Watson's book - as otheres have said it's all in the 1st and 2nd ed rulebooks.

Karrik
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
They meet a Blood Drinker, but that's when they're scouts - he tells them about the Titans.

They are full marines of several campaigns when they board the tyranid ship and talk to the Zoat (who implies the Lamenters gave themselves to the nids willingly as they saw the folly of resisting/the awesomeness of the hivemind lifestyle). There's nothing about the Blood Angels boarding hulks in Watson's book - as otheres have said it's all in the 1st and 2nd ed rulebooks.

You are entirely correct. My apologies for the horrid inaccuracies.

I wasn't trying to refute BigRed's post but did want to draw attention to the Space Crusade style boarding action (that was why I had it in my head that they were still in scout armour) and the near annihilation of the Lamenters as further motivation for Blood Angel unhappiness.
Losing an alleged successor chapter who had apparently tamed the Red Thirst must be a little annoying. Although probably not as irritating as getting an unexpected mauling on a routine tech grab.

Drew da Destroya
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I hate being mauled unexpectedly! I prefer to see it coming. Although it seems like the Marines would agree... they'd rather be wiped out in a glorious battle, instead of being wiped out during a routine Hulk investigation.

What I find interesting about this is that this Space Hulk has appeared in the same system twice now. Normally, these things drift aimlessly and randomly throughout the galaxy/warp (Barring the occassional Big Mek who straps some rokkits onto the hulk), so for it to show up in the same system makes me think that something is behind it. I don't think there's any record of the Tyranid actually guiding Hulks, so perhaps Chaos is sending it back to finish of the BA? Or perhaps the Emperor guided it there to test the BA and let them get their vengeance?

robertsjf
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
What I find interesting about this is that this Space Hulk has appeared in the same system twice now. Normally, these things drift aimlessly and randomly throughout the galaxy/warp (Barring the occassional Big Mek who straps some rokkits onto the hulk), so for it to show up in the same system makes me think that something is behind it. I don't think there's any record of the Tyranid actually guiding Hulks, so perhaps Chaos is sending it back to finish of the BA? Or perhaps the Emperor guided it there to test the BA and let them get their vengeance?

Actually, it's a different hulk, or was in the old fluff. It's just that there hasn't been another hulk encountered since the BA were slaughtered.

Schnitzel
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I hate being mauled unexpectedly! I prefer to see it coming. Although it seems like the Marines would agree... they'd rather be wiped out in a glorious battle, instead of being wiped out during a routine Hulk investigation.

In the short story collection 'Heroes of the Space Marines', there is a peice about the Sons of Malace chapter that features a Space Hulk that reapears every thousand years in the same place. But that was Chaos influenced though... so hmm...
Interesting bit.

eldargal
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
The blurb to the new Space Hulk novel says that these housands of foes they face are the same creatures that six centuries ago nearly decimated the Chapter', it doesn't mention it being the same hulk. Need it even be the same system, given that SM chapters can move around a lot.
WD113 from 1989 has some nifty little bits of SH fluff, though its probably the same as what is in the rulebooks (which I do not have access to atm).

Edit: Actually looking at some of the SH art in WD113, you can see SMs in regular power armour as well as terminator armour, which was never supported in the rules I'm sure.

Impact + 02.50.50
+ + Operation proceeding as planned
+ + The Blood Angels are back. For six centuries we have carried the burden of defeat, the stigma of failure. Now we redeem ourselves.

gwensdad
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Edit: Actually looking at some of the SH art in WD113, you can see SMs in regular power armour as well as terminator armour, which was never supported in the rules I'm sure.

There's an old White Dwarf (that I have somewhere around here) that had rules for using marines in regular power armor. They were in squads of 10, only used 1 die shooting, and died horribly in hand-to-hand.

robertsjf
08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
But they all had grenades!

Drew da Destroya
09-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey, did anyone else notice the Librarian's name? Calistarius? Also known as Chief Librarian Mephiston before he goes all Black Rage on Armageddon part 2?

Brother Hastatus
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey, did anyone else notice the Librarian's name? Calistarius? Also known as Chief Librarian Mephiston before he goes all Black Rage on Armageddon part 2?

Yeah, I noticed that, and I think it's a very nice little touch, and one of the best things about the whole game...

And yeah, it is a different Space Hulk, unless I misread it too.