PDA

View Full Version : My starting out non-SoB Witch Hunters

gwensdad
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
(copy paste from spreadsheet, some character drift may occur)

HQ
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord
+Force Weapon
+bolt pistol
+psycannon bolts
+frak Grenades
+Melta Bombs

Retinue
The Warrior
+upgrade to crusader
The Familiar
The Sage
The Chirurgeon

Priest

ELITES (3)
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
+Plasma Pistol
+Book of St Lucius
+Power Weapon
+Bionics
+Word of the Emperor

Retinue
The Acolyte
+Bolter
+Bionics
+Auspex
The Sage

Officio Assassinorum Operative (vindicare)

TROOPS
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
+Veteran
+Plasma Pistol (Vet)
+Power Weapon (vet)
+Flamer
+Shotguns

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
+Veteran
+Bolt pistol (veT)
+CC Weapon (vet)
+flamer
+chimera w/ml w/HB

Now for the questions
-I know I need to get a transport of some sort for my "adeptus" stormtroopers, but I'm not sure which would be best.
-Would Land Raiders for the Inquisitors be overkill or just what the force needs for anti-armor.
-I do have Marines and plenty of Guard that can join this force as well, but which is better?
-Debating on the next purchase for this force: Arch-flagellants or Penitent Engine (or another inquisitor)
-Anything else? (power could go out here from t-storm)

mkerr
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi gwensdad! Thanks for posting the list and I'm always glad to see another WH player -- especially a non-SoB army!

A lot of my comments are geared toward making a more competetive army (every point counts in a WH army -- especially one not utilizing the very sweet inducted guard and allied space marine rules).

Here are some commentsL

1. The most effective role for an Inquisitor and retinue is as long-range support. They are just too weak and fragile to be outside of 4+ cover. I recommend the following build: Inquisitor Lord (Psychic Hood), 1 Acolyte, 1-2 Chirurgeons, 3 Heavy Bolter Gun Servitors.

2. Your current Lord is just expensive and fragile (a S3 Force Weapon on a T3 model, just doesn't cut it). If you decide to keep him like this, then cut the Force Weapoin, Psycannon Bolts and go with a simple Power Weapon (or Boltgun).

3. Priests are overpriced unless you include Zealots in your army (Zealots were added to the WH army list in White Dwarf US292).

4. You can't have a Book of St Lucius on an Inquisitor, they are a Sisters of Battle only piece of wargear (sadly).

5. I'd go with an allied DH Ordo Malleus Inquisitor for your elite choice. It should look something like this OM Inquisitor (Psycannon -- this can be modelled on one of your henchmen, which is what I do, so I can use my Inquisitor for WH and DH armies) with a Retinue of 1 Sage, 2 Mystics and 3 Heavy Bolter Servitors.

6. But in general, you want NO wargear on your Inquisitors. Psychic Hoods are great on a LD10 Inquisitor, Psycannons are good on BS5 OM Inquisitors. Nothing else is really useful.

7. I like Vindicares. I really do. But he needs some support to be effective.

8. I don't like Plasma Pistols. They don't get much use and have a tendency to hurt the shooter (which is terrible for a W1 model). If you take ISTs, I recommend just 5-8 in a unit with either 2 Meltaguns or 2 Plasma Guns. Nothing else is needed.

9. To be effective, non-Sisters WH armies really need allies. I think the most effective allies are Inducted Imperial Guard (that still allows you to have a unit or two of Sisters, if you want - those Books of St Lucius are fantastic for IG).

10. If you take Inducted Guard, then buy your Chimeras from that army (just about everything can take them). They are cheaper and allow you to shoot more models from the hatch.

11. The best anti-armor units for WH are found in the Imperial Guard codex. Unless you are playing 2000+ pts, I wouldn't bother with a Landraider (unless you just want to paint one).

12. Penitent Engines are a lot of fun to paint, but they are terrible on the table. Arcos are a bit better, but they just aren't as cost effective as they should be.

There are two builds for non-SoB WH armies. The most effective is Gunline WHs (lots of Inquisitors with Heavy Bolters) and lots of Imperial Guard with heavy weapons. The next most effective is Mechanized WHs (lots of Plasma Guns and Meltaguns in IG Chimeras).

Good luck and keep us updated as your army grows!

-- MKerr

bartschy
08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi,

I played witchunters with and without sisters for a long time.

i agree with what was said above.

the best advice for the non sisters WH would be don't do it.

If you don't want to listen to that (like me), go guard heavy and even
consider adding a bunch of witchunter units to a guard army, that will yield better results.

Also opens some snice combos like the psyker squad and the callidus assasin.

If you use the ardboyz FAQ for your build you might also be able to do something competitive using the WGH codex.

I tried the close combat inqusitor , it doesn't work even tho the crusaders are beautiful models, i painted a bunch that now serve as objective markers ....

Pentinent engines are only good in apocalypse, maybe it works if you take 9 of them but still theer are better options.

Thanks

Marko

gwensdad
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'll address a few of them individually below:

1. The most effective role for an Inquisitor and retinue is as long-range support. They are just too weak and fragile to be outside of 4+ cover. I recommend the following build: Inquisitor Lord (Psychic Hood), 1 Acolyte, 1-2 Chirurgeons, 3 Heavy Bolter Gun Servitors.

First item on order list: get gun Servitors. And Guard medics to be Chirugreons

2. Your current Lord is just expensive and fragile (a S3 Force Weapon on a T3 model, just doesn't cut it). If you decide to keep him like this, then cut the Force Weapoin, Psycannon Bolts and go with a simple Power Weapon (or Boltgun).

The force weapon problem is one I noticed in my Guard army when an Ork Warboss close assaulted my Primaris-I couldn't wound him. Why can't the Inquisition have a "Force Fist"-a power fist except it's force? :(

3. Priests are overpriced unless you include Zealots in your army (Zealots were added to the WH army list in
White Dwarf US292).

May need to find that White Dwarf. The Priest was there for the Pen. Engines or Flagellents.

5. I'd go with an allied DH Ordo Malleus Inquisitor for your elite choice.

The guy running our league here has something against "allies". My IG in his league can't take any Inquisition regardless of what the WH and DH books say.

7. I like Vindicares. I really do. But he needs some support to be effective.

I've just got an old generic assassin mini that I'm thinking of using as a Vindicare. Any idea what assassin might be best?

9. To be effective, non-Sisters WH armies really need allies. I think the most effective allies are Inducted Imperial Guard (that still allows you to have a unit or two of Sisters, if you want - those Books of St Lucius are fantastic for IG).

My current guard is just perfect for this job-except my veterans can't be used for now :(
But I did consider having a couple of scout squads from the Red Hunters just for painting fun

11. The best anti-armor units for WH are found in the Imperial Guard codex. Unless you are playing 2000+ pts, I wouldn't bother with a Landraider (unless you just want to paint one).

I just want Land Raiders :)
Plus, there's a limit of 1 Leman Russ in a WH Army-and there is/was/has been debate over what that means.

Good luck and keep us updated as your army grows!

-- MKerr

Once again, Thank you!

Aegis
08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Swap the Vindicare for a Callidus. 10 more points, but worth every bit of it. The ability to show up anywhere on the board is wonderful, and can deal with pesky heavy weapon teams.

For the Inquisitor, I personally run a CC Inq. Lord, but I also play more casually, and spend the resources to get him into assault range (either through a a chimera or Inquisitorial Valkyrie, using Imperial Armour 2). For competitive leagues, though, sadly I agree with the gun line Inquisitor build. They simply hold up better on the field.

Also, look into Death Cult Assassins. You can take three in one slot, and they are each an independent character, which means one unit cannot kill them off in one turn of shooting. Means the opponent needs to either dedicate through units of fire in one turn, or, more often than not, take the DCA charge.

The trickiest part will be your long range and tank busting game. Meltaguns are your bread and butter, but you will definitely need to toss your IST's into chimeras or rhinos (with extra armour. always extra armour). I would almost recommend playing a game of avoidance if you can, and focus on scoring units as opposed to busting tanks (of course, unless the tanks are dominating, but then, there are larger issues at hand).

Lastly, good luck.

gwensdad
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Quick note on transport: I'll probably just buy all transport from IA2 (rules updated), just for the better options (like the Autocannon or twin-linked heavy bolters on the Chimera turret.)

Aegis
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Quick note on transport: I'll probably just buy all transport from IA2 (rules updated), just for the better options (like the Autocannon or twin-linked heavy bolters on the Chimera turret.)

Just keep in mind they may not be tournament legal, depending on the set up.

bartschy
08-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'll address a few of them individually below:

My current guard is just perfect for this job-except my veterans can't be used for now :(
But I did consider having a couple of scout squads from the Red Hunters just for painting fun

Plus, there's a limit of 1 Leman Russ in a WH Army-and there is/was/has been debate over what that means.

Get a hold of the ard boyz rules/FAQ, it tells you how the army interact with the new guard dex.

You can take both infantry platoons and veterans for troops, and sentinel squadrons for fast and 1 leman Ruiss squadron for your heavies.

Thanks

Marko

gwensdad
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Get a hold of the ard boyz rules/FAQ, it tells you how the army interact with the new guard dex.

You can take both infantry platoons and veterans for troops, and sentinel squadrons for fast and 1 leman Ruiss squadron for your heavies.

Thanks

Marko

Thanks! Printing it out now.

imperialsavant
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
G'day gwensdad!
Is there any particular reason you dont want Sisters of Battle?
e.g. you already have lots of IG. :)
you dont like Girls in Armour? :p
you dont want a lot of metal models? :rolleyes:

Just asking cause I find the Sisters are far better than Guard due to their 3+ save & Acts of Faith etc.

Anyway always interested to see what inspires other WH players.

gwensdad
08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
G'day gwensdad!
Is there any particular reason you dont want Sisters of Battle?
e.g. you already have lots of IG. :)
you dont like Girls in Armour? :p
you dont want a lot of metal models? :rolleyes:

Just asking cause I find the Sisters are far better than Guard due to their 3+ save & Acts of Faith etc.

Anyway always interested to see what inspires other WH players.

Pretty much #1. And it seems like a challenge. And getting lots of Sisters seems really expensive and someone else in our group is planning on forming a SoB army (we both think that some plastic SoB would also really help)

I already have Marines and Guard - time to start work on the Inquisition so I can have all the regular Imperial armies (until the Mechanicus comes out)