PDA

View Full Version : Half-assed painting: Why? WHY?!

Mike X
08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x141/nyp4ever/wtfwhy.jpg

This isn't the first time I've seen this. I've come across many "dipped" models, and it always seems to be in the same shade of red.

Why even bother if this is all they're going to do? Seriously. Makes me want to slap these people.

Trougedoor122
08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Because there lazy idiots who want to have "painted" models.

Mike X
08-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Because there lazy idiots who want to have "painted" models.

Yeah, I understand that, but... ugh, there's just no effort at all, you know?

It's a canker in the hobby that needs to be quelled.

DuskRaider
08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
You sure that's not just primed with the old Blood Red primer? I have a can myself.

Mike X
08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
You sure that's not just primed with the old Blood Red primer? I have a can myself.

To be honest, I have no idea. I can only hope it's primer. I've seen wayyy too many of these.

DuskRaider
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, could be they primed it but haven't painted it yet. I seems to be primer, since you can see it chipped in a few places.

crazyredpraetorian
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Heck, check out some of the "propainted" models on ebay sometime. Some are far from "pro" level. I know some people that really put alot of time and effort into their models and come out with pretty bad results. But, you know what? They are having fun.....and isn't that what the hobby is all about?

I used to have a customer that hated to paint but, he loved to play.He bought an Catachan army and base coated the whole army Catachan Green. He then applied a Dark Green Ink and dry brushed a little and he was done. His army looked like green army men.:D

I had another customer that did a kind of "marble" paint scheme to every one of his armies. He too, liked to play and looked at painting as a chore. The painting end of the hobby is not for everyone.

Rafen
08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
that definitely looks like the old blood red prime, although that almost makes it worst cause its primed the blood angels color and used to help get blood angels done quicker.

DuskRaider
08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
That "pro level" crap on eBay is ridiculous.

Schnitzel
08-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Painting does come off as a bit of a chore when its required to play. I'm not a particularly good painter, but I've grown to enjoy it as I've started learning techniques that both speed up my work and raise the quality of it.
Dipping is a total shame though. They could at least make the effort....

entendre_entendre
08-18-2009, 12:51 AM
i sincerely hope that's a WIP, b/c if not, that's sad :( if you want to play with unfinished models at least make sure they have 3 colours and are relatively neat (that's what I do sometimes, but then again, it's usually only 1 unit).

Vepr
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
While it is nice to see well painted armies some people do not have the time or inclination to paint like others. The most important thing to me is the other player being a decent player and person more than how their army looks. I commend those players that really put a lot of time into their armies but not everyone can or wants to do the same and I don't think we should look down our noses at other gamers for not having beautiful armies.

Aldramelech
08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I guess it takes all sorts..........

Everybody has to start somewhere and some people have no talent for it at all, they never get better. What counts is effort, Ok they might not be a future Golden Demon winner, but did they make an effort?

I hear about and see alot of people playing with armies where no effort has been made what so ever, and I think "Are you in the right hobby?"

If you dont enjoy painting, dont want to paint or cant be bothered theres plenty of other things to do out there.

Snyderson
08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
To be honest, I have no idea. I can only hope it's primer. I've seen wayyy too many of these.

This is the old "Blood Angels Red" primer that is nowaday OOP.

Duke
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree that it is a bit irritating for people to paint like that, however, I like taking my time painting and converting so that my army has a cool appearance. Personally I paint for me, not for my opponent. I think that these guys paint like that to appease their opponent, not for themselves. It is simply so they can say 'it is painted.' I would rather have just grey minis.

Duke

Rangerrob
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
There are many ways to look at this.

1) The painter doesn't have enough time to paint cause he had a family, full time job, college classes, all of the above...

2) It is Memphiston or whatever his name is, might rank 3rd or 4th in priority for this painters HQ selection. Why paint the 3rd HQ when you can only take 2.

3) Painter has an Xbox/PS3/ PC with an MMO...and would rather spend time in front of a tube than improving their army.

4) The player doesn't have much experience painting and is afraid how bad it will look. There is a lot more goin on with that mini than the normal GW mini.

Mananarepublic
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
When it comes to painting your miniatures - anything goes. Dipping, 100 hours of blending or a quick Drybrush. And to be honest I prefer playing against a cool person with a bare metal/plastic army any day to playing a douche with all display pieces. To me the two hobbies are almost separated and just because I can paint - I can't force somebody else to paint as well.

If a tournament requires painted armies - well that is another thing and no: primed miniatures doesn't qualify (but I think dipped does, as long as there are different "appropriate" colors on the models).

/M

Valdore
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm in the process of repainting 100+ men (The joys of Guard) so I know how tedious it is, even though I enjoy the painting . . . most of the time. Mainly I look forward to the end results, which is why I tend to paint on a model basis rather than squad. That is how I'm getting through the army, one model at a time. Until then, half my army is rubbishly painted from when I couldn't paint to save my life, a quarter are a friends army that I picked up pretty cheap when he gave up and are painted in a different scheme, the rest are undercoated and nothing more.

The reason for that paragraph being that as others have mentioned, he may be in the process of painting his army, he may not be a great painter and not want to ruin the model by trying to paint it, he might just be plain old lazy, but in a friendly game none of these matter to me. If I have a nicely painted army then sure, I would rather take on another fully painted army to have an awesome looking battle, but if he doesn't, then my army will look all the better in comparison ;) I would suggest he get some painting lessons though, it's a nice quick way of someone showing them how to paint decently and hopefully will help them appreciate the fun side of it. So rather than complain about it, try and help everyone and suggest they get someone to show them how to paint (try and be diplomatic though ;))

Mananarepublic
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
@ Valdore - agree totally! I think you make a great point as well: I someone does not know how to paint you should help them discover that part of the hobby.

/M

Digitarii
08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Personally, I love painting, but once the summer hits around here (June through September, basically), my desire to paint drags to zero because my paint shop is in the garage and there is no AC out there. When it's 110 degrees outside, you can guarantee 120 to 130 inside with no AC.

I can do my assembly work inside, but painting? Forget it.

inkzoo
08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
That pic is no doubt blood angels red primer. And honestly, dipping only really looks well on organic looking models. If you paint a mini with 3 colors and dip it the right way, they will be good table top quality. And you can FINISH 10 in a couple hours! I'll post some pics of some demons that I dipped later.

Rangerrob
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
slightly off topic: I've had good luck dipping space marines and even tanks.

Valdore nailed it. Get them to put down the game controller and pick up a paint brush.

vman
08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
i think with some people the painting aspect takes time

Alot of people get into the gaming aspect first and enjoy playing games... give them enough time in the hobby (provided they last) and they will start to respect painting alot more

I know this is how i feel at the moment. when i first started playing at the age of 12, playng the game was all that mattered

Now to me its more about the model side of things

KnightShift
08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I've got two playable armies so far (Ultramarines and Orks, both started from the Black Reach set although lately I'm bulking up Orks like crazy :) ) and every piece of them is fully painted.

It's become a rule for me: Never bring a model to the table unless it's first something to be proud of. If my soldiers are going to fight and die at my command, they deserve enough respect to at least look good doing it! :D

mchawkeye
08-19-2009, 12:41 AM
i think with some people the painting aspect takes time

Alot of people get into the gaming aspect first and enjoy playing games... give them enough time in the hobby (provided they last) and they will start to respect painting alot more

I know this is how i feel at the moment. when i first started playing at the age of 12, playng the game was all that mattered

Now to me its more about the model side of things

I agree, Although with me it was (and in fact, remains) the other way around.

I got into it for the modelling and painting. I like playing the game, sure...but when I started painting miniatures twenty years ago (yipes! Why aren't I better at it then? Hmmm) I hadn't even bought a copy of the game...

I do understand (on some level) people who don't want to spend their time painting. When your faced with 15 identical troopers it can be a little depressing and overwhelming. In fact, I'm still painting bloody Space Marines. thats why perhaps, GW should focus more on the converting side of the hobby. WD gives us alot of information about how we should all paint the same way, but comparatively little on individualising miniatures; painting individuals keeps me interested. That's one of the reasons why i like Necromunda...

TSINI
08-19-2009, 03:22 AM
i personally think its depressing facing off against an opponent who couldn't even be bothered to paint in the faces.

even when i started the hobby (and playing the game was more important than the hobby side), i bought 10 valhallans and a leman russ. i painted them up to use in a GW store game. not great painting knowledge, and they looked terrible, but at least i took the time to paint them, silver molten T1000 lookalike guardsmen would just look terrible next to a concrete statue of a leman russ.

now i have to admit that i'm more into the painting side, kit bashing, converting, modifying and taking great care in painting is now my main concern. the fluff and look of the army is much more interesting to me than who wins the games, as long as the game was fun.

but my painting skills still arent great, i simply "paint by numbers" block colours, skin colour faces and hands, codex grey clothes, boltgun metal parts, brown belts, black boots, and shadow grey armour. chuck on a wash, and ta da, a decent looking army without any great knowledge of drybrushing, highlighting or anything.

i admit that i have a lot of time on my hands, but i still don't dedicate much time to painting, no more than i would if i had a full time job, but at least i'm making the effort, thats all i'd ask for.

my aim for the hobby at the mo is to have a really nice army, 3 nice oponent armies, head over to warhammer world and spend a long weekend playing narrative campaigns on nice scenery with nicely painted armies, wouldnt that be cool?

BuFFo
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Not everyone is in this hobby to paint. Some collect, some convert, and others just want to play.

Also, some are a mix of the four.

I have been playing since 1988, and I don't own one painted army. Some times I come across egotistical punks who won't play my armies due to their gray exterior. I couldn't care less about such children. I am in this hobby to play the game, and nothing more.

L192837465
08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Not everyone is in this hobby to paint. Some collect, some convert, and others just want to play.

Also, some are a mix of the four.

I have been playing since 1988, and I don't own one painted army. Some times I come across egotistical punks who won't play my armies due to their gray exterior. I couldn't care less about such children. I am in this hobby to play the game, and nothing more.

I've been playing Fantasy Warriors of Chaos for 5 years now, and am only just now painting up to have a fully painted army.

I just have better things to do. my painting takes a lot of time (2 hours per model, -10 minutes per model in a batch to a minimum of 30 minutes per model) and my characters are super painted (minimum of 10 hours paint time). I'd rather make sure my girlfriend is happy, go to band practice, play guitar, clean my apartment, work, or go to school than paint 90% of the time. I'm trying to get into the habit of painting 4 hours a week though.

People that refuse to play someone without their army completely 3 color minimum while their army looks like balls is one of the most infuriating things ever.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I disagree about the dipping to a degree. Nids and daemons can look great with "proper" dipping (i.e. washes, floor polish, flesh colored primer, etc).

I have to say, though...holy crap, is the game better when your army is fully painted...

Skragger
08-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Aye, much like Valdor I have upwards of 120 orky models either in gray or still in sprue. I paint my models on a 1 to 1 basis. Finishing each model before I move onto the next. Hells, I dont even glue my models together until all the individual bitz are painted (takes me a LONG time to build kits like trukks, but I ensure every bit is painted, no unsightly impossible to reach spots).

It just takes me longer, but I paint for myself, I like looking at my army and saying "I did all this!" its a good feeling, and so what if it takes me a bit longer?

Other people.. not so much, just a quick dirty job, it takes all kinds.

Just remember: always keep your first painted mini, its a reminder of where you came. Mine is a Space Marine with so much (black) paint on it most of the detail is missing. Gold 'lines' on the shoulder-pads (which are glued on wrong), and weird red splotches for eyes.

Mananarepublic
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Just remember: always keep your first painted mini, its a reminder of where you came. Mine is a Space Marine with so much (black) paint on it most of the detail is missing. Gold 'lines' on the shoulder-pads (which are glued on wrong), and weird red splotches for eyes.

Mine is A Mordor orc I cast myself and painted using oil based hobby paints (YIKES!!) some 20+ years ago :-)
My first GW miniature was probably some sort of metal fantasy, but one of the early boxes I got was the bugman box (the blue) and I still hve them all :-)

/M

Chive
08-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I just talked about this in my laitest blog, and explained to people who do, or don't play why it bugs me.
http://40kersblog.blogspot.com/
check it out and tell me what you think

darth_papi76
08-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't think I would refuse to play someone because their models are not painted, but it does make for a more enjoyable gaming experience when both players have fully painted armies. Personally, I like to take a lot of pictures when I play and that's not the same if my opponents army is all plastic and metal looking.

RocketRollRebel
08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah that just looks like an abysmal primer job. I play blood angels and I dont think I would ever prime them red! haha

Weather your army is painted or not doesnt really matter to me. Yeah its nice to see a nicely painted army but I also understand that people dont always have the time to devote to spend alot of time painting. Its not my favorite part of the hobby and I mostly do it because I like the end result of how it looks. I play mostly because I love the fluff and competitive aspects of the hobby.

To me its a live and let live thing. If someone wants to play with a sea of grey plastic black reach orks then find. Thats their choice. If someone wants to painstakingly paint their minis to golden demon standards then awesome and more power to them!

People shouldnt make a huge deal out of it.

Mananarepublic
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I just talked about this in my laitest blog, and explained to people who do, or don't play why it bugs me.
http://40kersblog.blogspot.com/
check it out and tell me what you think

Welcome to 40k sir! To really appreciate the hobby I think you have to look at the hobby as two separate things: The painting//modeling and the gaming. This will make you a lot happier and will make the hobby more enjoyable.

Good luck with those Terminators!

/M

Aldramelech
08-22-2009, 12:11 AM
People who play with unpainted figures play with themselves!

Snarf
08-22-2009, 02:16 AM
And then they go blind so they cannot see there unpainted models....

Chive
08-22-2009, 03:32 PM
People who play with unpainted figures play with themselves!

lol I paint my models and still play with my self lolz!!!!

volrath8754
09-02-2009, 01:43 AM
I guess I would be the type of player that is just that, a player first and a painter second... or third...

To be fair my first army was Deamonhunters and I had no painting talent at all. It really put me off for painting. Now however my imperial fists are coming along well. Hopefully they will be finished by the end of the year.

splnes
09-02-2009, 02:14 AM
i did not read any other the post but i did see the title. i'm not sure if this is exactly what this topic is about but i feel i must say it...

i hate when i see someones army rush painted just so they can put it on the table. this is our hobby, the escape of our lives. i think we should enjoy it as much as possible. some of us paint better than others but thats not the point. what i'm trying to get at is that i think every one of us can have a bad *** army painted our the best of our individual ability. dont rush it take your time take a breathe and enjoy the hobby and field gray and black figures until you paint paint them all. at the end of the day you will love your army more, hell you'll love each model because you spent a bit of your live finely detailing them and giving them life. until my orks come along and toss them bit to bit!! WAAAAAGH!!

lomaxxdurang
09-02-2009, 02:30 AM
You know I have to say my armies both of them the IG and my marines are always in a constant state of flux. What with new pieces, and me constantly looking at pieces i did and seeing issues with them and touching them up or using a new technique I learned to improve them I can never say that I have completely painted models.

I know that my space marines are some of the best painted models at my store, but you know what I would never refuse to play someone who hasn't painted his, but I might offer to paint his models too (for a nominal fee of course)

LMD

splnes
09-02-2009, 02:35 AM
i was just getting at that i think you should enjoy every aspect of the hobby, from posing your soldiers to painting to hitting the table whipping arse. its not all about buying a wining army and wining!

Whitehorn
09-02-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm confused. It's just undercoated, suggesting it isn't intended to be complete. How is this half-arsed?

By posting undercoated models, am I also a half-arsed painter?

Evil & Chaos
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Looks undercoated to me, not dipped.

Mananarepublic
09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
i was just getting at that i think you should enjoy every aspect of the hobby, from posing your soldiers to painting to hitting the table whipping arse. its not all about buying a wining army and wining!

I am confused by your post since you write "whipping arse" and "not all about a winning army"...seems like someone does enjoy winning even though it is not the point of the game, right? :-)

I don't think you have to enjoy every aspect of the hobby - if you just want to play/paint/melt the miniatures you should go ahead and do so! I don't care! Just like I won't force someone to use a knife and fork to enjoy a slice of pizza, I won't force someone to enjoy the painting part of this hobby!

/M

AdorianBlade
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
i only buy new or primed models from e-bay never painted to much time to strip them all in the end

tylermenz
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
i just want to say one thing that i didnt really see anyone touch on,

the game had more or less three aspects, modelling, painting, and playing. What then happens when you dont do one of them?

Not Playing: You are a modeller and painter, you still can have fun, and no one really can make rag on you for not playing too much(mainly because you are not there to make fun of).

not Painting: You take the time to put together you miniatures, but not paint them, you are going to get made fun of the most, because your lack of time and effort. You are still playing games and are therefore showing other players how much you havent painted.

Not Modelling???: How can you play the game without putting your models together? You could buy an army (but then it will probably be painted as well) or you could use plain bases or glue a boltgun to a base and call it a marine (yes...i have seen it done). No one is going to play against a bunch of bases, no one. Your not going to be let into tournaments or anything.

Heres my pitch for painting(which I do not particularly like doing): It takes time to put together models, some more than others, but EVERYONE does it. Everyone has the 1-2 hrs(without conversions) that it takes to put together an army, AND everyone generally does it in a night-a week within getting the models in my experiance. So once you have the models still have that 1-2 hours a week left over. You used it for the hobby already, and no one just continually buys huge amounts of models(yes im sure there are some) so why not sit for 30 minutes and paint.

in my opinion progress is all that matters, i dont care if i play against sprue grey army. i care when i play against sprue grey 2 weeks in a row, and then 3 weeks in a row. But if someone is showing at least signs of progress, i dont how fast the progress is, but just that they are trying. not everyone has the time to paint 10+ hours a week, but everyone should have a little.

sukigod
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm confused. It's just undercoated, suggesting it isn't intended to be complete. How is this half-arsed?

By posting undercoated models, am I also a half-arsed painter?

I'm with Whitehorn here. There's no context for this pic. Is it his own? Did the OP "have" to play against this? Is it from someone elses gallery? Ebay? Flckr?

Dipped? (ya might wanna google that term...)

Sounds like a fight starter to me. not a very good one at that.

the_great_gonzo
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Painted armies are always a personal choice. From my experiance I have played a few times against unpainted armies in stores, I'll never knock back a game beacuse of the painting standard (or lack of).

At home I'm different as I spend time and effort to paint my mini's as best I can (ie not too well!) Plus I've built a table and terrain so I expect people who are invited to play to bring fully painted armies with them. By fully painted its usually 3-4 colours minimum (my orks are only 6 colours then washed with BADAB Black, but on a table they are cohesive and look good, from a distance anyway!).

In a tournament environment I'd expect to see fully painted armies, particularly GW Grand Tournaments. They are supposed to showcase the best generals and best armies in the hobby. I suppose that is why you get points for painting towards your final placing!

Rant over gents.

solecize
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
If you play without painting it's just a game, not a hobby...

but it is however your choice. There is always a guy that can't or won't paint, and that's ok, but I would not call someone that takes pride in their army a douche.

The douche players are the ones that drag a game on with rules arguments.

The douche painters are the ones that tell you that you should have used more gobbo green, even if you didn't ask their opinion.

Powerslave
09-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Personally I am in this hobby mainly for painting and modelling. I love the books and the fluff, and the story is of great importance to me - so when I collect an army, I want it to be "good looking" and painted to high standards - so I end up spending at least a couple of hours on one miniature, or 8 - 20 hours on a display / hero / HQ piece (so it's very, very difficult for me to finish off a whole army, as it takes a lot of time; my Chaos and SM armies are still under construction after 2 years).

When I play a friendly game - I always try out new units and new stuff - so often I am using pieces that are just basecoated.

But when I am playing a serious game - I only bring fully painted miniatures because I want to show my opponent that I have put in the time to prepare a good looking army for battles that matter.

I think that it's a sign of good will and respect when your opponent's army is at least painted with 3 different colors and shaded with a wash.

I have seen a lot of primed armies that look horrendous - and I am not a fan of them - because I think painting and modelling are integral parts of this hobby. Yet, to each his own, and I am not going to go around forcing or policing people - because in the end we are all here to have fun. Two of my good friends, and my regular opponents (I play in a gaming group, not in stores or hobby centers) hate painting and just want to play and each time I have to look at their "naked" ugly miniatures - but what can I do.

If you enjoy building an army, if you love the 40K universe, then there should be no reason for anyone to not attempt painting an army.

timbo101
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I guess it takes all sorts..........

Everybody has to start somewhere and some people have no talent for it at all, they never get better. What counts is effort, Ok they might not be a future Golden Demon winner, but did they make an effort?

I hear about and see alot of people playing with armies where no effort has been made what so ever, and I think "Are you in the right hobby?"

If you dont enjoy painting, dont want to paint or cant be bothered theres plenty of other things to do out there.

Yes like play the game instead!

Aldramelech
09-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes like play the game instead!

Then we agree to disagree my friend.

This hobby (as far as I'm concerned) is playing tabletop wargames with painted figures.

timbo101
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Then we agree to disagree my friend.

This hobby (as far as I'm concerned) is playing tabletop wargames with painted figures.

Well the rest of us have a life to balance as well!

Aldramelech
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Well the rest of us have a life to balance as well!

I have a Wife, a Ten year old daughter, a 50-60 hour a week job and other interests besides this thank you very much:rolleyes:

_Si_
09-03-2009, 03:21 PM
surely the charm of the hobby is it's something different to everyone?

None of my armies are balanced in anyway, and I doubt any are game legal, since I haven't played a proper game of 40k in the 18 years I've been in the hobby. Am I doing it wrong?

If people wish to dip their models in toffee so they can get straight to gaming then fair play to them

WolfAramis
09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree that it's great to see a decently painted army...I paint my stuff one at a time, or squad-at-a-time (started doing that for the sake of consistency...unless dey beez Orkz!!!).

Honestly, I'd rather have some kid who spray painted an entire army in one color just to get to the table just to play, instead of waiting x-months for a 'pretty' army. Why? I want them to learn how to play, be inspired to better their play, and be inspired by the guy with the HELLA DA BOMB army that makes 'm want to improve.

My .3

MajorSoB
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
My take on this is as follows:

If you want to be a painting elitist go to coolminiornot.com and rant with the rest of the elitists. I personally dont care why you play or what aspect of this hobby you embrace. Hobbies are meant to provide an escape and relaxation from the daily grind. If you enjoy playing this game with unpainted or poorly painted gluewads hey its your choice. If that is what floats your boat, good for you! If you play me expect me to give you crap about your army ( I will, promise!) but also expect a fun game. Yes I embrace all aspects of this hobby but I know that is me and not everyone. All I ever ask from an opponent is to play fairly and be a good sport. Have your models represent what they are supposed to have, meaning that if you take meltaguns in your list, dont use flamers then at that magic moment when you get 6" from my vehicles tell me " Oh BTW these flamers are meltas." I know not everyone has time and not everyone has talent. I will never break the balls of someone who has tried to paint and has done their best no matter what the result, however the lazy painter who plays me better have a thick skin. Priming models red does not qualify as effort.

Lord Inquisitor
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
To be tournament legal you have to have at least 3 diffrent colors on your models.

terricon4
09-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I agree that it's great to see a decently painted army...I paint my stuff one at a time, or squad-at-a-time (started doing that for the sake of consistency...unless dey beez Orkz!!!).

My .3

I play, or paint, orks. I rarely get a good chance to play though. Maybe once a year, but I have ork boyz and paint them in groups of four or so but put a lot of work into each one. I am not a great painter but I still get a pretty good result for orks, not studio but still good. My warbosses(doubled up on AOBR with orks) where both done slowly and in slightly different schemes that match my army but add some nice variance. Now I understand quick painting if you want to play but I don't get base coating. At least just paint some basic skin and armor, even just two or three colors will look alright and not take long. People who don't paint are a niche in the gaming community and not a bad one but they are a drab on the tabletop witch is after all what they are usually all about.

Mananarepublic
09-03-2009, 10:12 PM
To be tournament legal you have to have at least 3 diffrent colors on your models.

Yes - and those rules are there to be followed. If you arranging an event you can make whatever rules you want (everybody wear baby blue? :-)) But the key thing is this: Just because you can't/don't have time to/don't want to paint you should not be considered a less valuable part of the hobby. This can't be argued with unless you are very narrow minded and/or an elitist.

Let me use an example: Football (or soccer as they say in the United States) - everyone can enjoy and play it, but not everybody have the most perfect equipment and shoes (for various reasons). Is their enjoyment of the sport less valuable than a professional player (enjoyment not monthly paycheck)? Same thing goes here - if I just want to play a few games here and there and not think anymore about it: I am just as valuable as any hardcore hobbyist spending 120 hours on every model.

If we can't see beyond this - we will never have a hobby that is as large as it deserves to be because we are setting up way to high barriers for entry.

/M

Gibbtall
09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
I had a friend who ran out of primer half way through doing his army, so he had a nice big army of half black half grey tau.

Larkii
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
My take on this is that to each his own. I am a modeler/painter of average skill who rarely plays but love the fluff, converting, painting etc. I am sure the hard core gamers have a word for people like me and it's probably not kind. I got started because one of my kids started to play when he was about 10 or 11 and I got hooked on the modeling/painting aspect. I build/paint he plays. Maybe I'm stunting his modeling part of the hobby. He does come up with some great conversion ideas that I have to figure out how to excecute and he does paint with me some. Besides he has to figure out how to play with a really fluffy army! Lots of kids particularly want to play the game only and you have to start somewhere. Live and let live, but a well painted army is mor fun on the table.

GAR
09-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Hmmm.

I remember when I used to think this way. Every army had to be a masterpiece where all the blending and meticulous conversions would astound all my buddies at my FLGS.

Nowadays, personally I don't care if the army is even painted. Most of my own armies are half if at all painted.

I still paint and love painting. it is my first love next to my wife. But that being said, I don't have time to get all my armies painted. I do work on them from time to time as time allows. But most of my free time goes inot painting competition figures. If I have 2 or 3 hours, I am working on my next Golden Demon entry. If I have an hour or less, that time usually goes to my armies.

Needless to say, most of my armies are horrible examples of any kind of real quality in terms of what they could look like, but my goal is not to have the best looking army, at least not anymore. My goal is to have a bunch of guys with their heads and arms glued on that I can play a game with.

While it may be true some folks can not be bothered to paint anything, one should remember that there are a multitude of reasons why their armies may not be painted. Some could be flat out lazy or others cold have other priorites.

I think to blanket say "Paint your figures or go do something else" is a bit over the top. I know a lot of great wargamers who don't have painted armies who I enjoy playing against because I am going to have a good time.

I also know a few fellows with beautiful armies who are complete schmucks and I just assume go home and mow the grass rather than waste anytime playing against them.

But each to thier own....

Spectral Dragon
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I hate it when people just dip and play, at least put another coat on it or something. It's especially common with necrons. I paint all mine to look especially good, and a lot of people have told me that they thought necrons looked best when done with those quick painting guides you see all over the web until they saw my necrons. Sure, it takes a little bit of extra time, but everything that is worth it always does.

Aldramelech
09-04-2009, 01:28 PM
You will have realized by now that Warhammer 40,differs from normal games. There are unlimited possibilities and players must be prepared to expend time and effort collecting, assembling and painting their models and setting up their battlefields. If this sounds like hard work, your right, it is! Glory on the battlefields of the future is not won lightly.

Sound familiar?

Mananarepublic
09-05-2009, 01:20 AM
You will have realized by now that Warhammer 40,differs from normal games. There are unlimited possibilities and players must be prepared to expend time and effort collecting, assembling and painting their models and setting up their battlefields. If this sounds like hard work, your right, it is! Glory on the battlefields of the future is not won lightly.

Sound familiar?

Yepp - but I am sure even Mr Johnson and Mr Blanche would rather see many casual players than a few hard core...

/M

Huntzt
09-05-2009, 09:58 AM
some only enjoy the game part of the hobby

tylermenz
09-05-2009, 01:40 PM
some only enjoy the game part of the hobby

I have heard many others say the same thing that I am about to say, when you only are interested in playing the Game of 40k, then it no longer becomes a Hobby. The Hobby is a combination of painting, modelling, and playing. If you are really just interested in the game then you dont even need miniatures, paper tokens on stands would technically do.

On the Subject of dipping, My brother has a dipped army of deathgaurd, he based them green, painted the metal bits, and bone bits, and then dipped them. From start to finish painting, I think that it took him maybe 10 minutes a model, probably less. Do they look great, no. Are they fully painted, yes. Does the army look cohesive and painted from a distance, yes. Are they tabletop quality, yes.

Once again, I think that alot of people confuse painted, with well-painted. I have another friend who paints all his models to look good from an arms length away(since that is about how far you are away from them on a table), and they look good. Painted is not hard, and does not take any more time than putting the miniatures together. 3-4 colors with no highlights should take no more than a couple minutes a model.

Hairy Piggy
09-20-2009, 08:23 AM
I personally enjoy the painting and modelling dide of the hobby hugely and am constantly trying to improve on that score. On the other hand, I can respect that some people see 40K as a game rather than a hobby and would rather not spend hours painting there army.

When I play, I like watching the scene of two fully painted armies fighting across a tabletop with some decent terrain, but for those who don't want to, well, that is there choice.