PDA

View Full Version : What makes a List a Hobby List?

Vince
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
So normally when I play 40k I do it in the spirit of "powergaming" in the sense that I take a optimal list. I was thinking of branching out my minis a little and making a more hobby list as I noticed places like Dragons Lair say in their tourney we encourage a hobby list.

What constitutes a hobby list? Is it staying with the fluff? Is it not spamming 3 copies of elites/fast/heavy/HQ choices? Is it a mix of both of these or perhaps something else?

BuFFo
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
What constitutes a hobby list?

Any list made up of models from an army range.

Is it staying with the fluff

That is entirely up to you.

Is it not spamming 3 copies of elites/fast/heavy/HQ choices?

If this is what you consider a fluff list for your army, then it is a fluff list.

Is it a mix of both of these or perhaps something else?

Listen. You sound new, or at the very least, a person who came into the game post 1998.

Power / hobby / fluff / cheese / bland / etc lists are all a state of mind, ESPECIALLY with the 'internet' generation of 40k. There is no definition for any of these 'lists' besides the one you impose on yourself. Get me?

You buy an army book, and as long as you follow the FOC chart rules, a list is a list is a list is a list.

Happy gaming!

Nabterayl
08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
You know, I was going to post a response about picking a theme that you enjoy and making that work, but I think BuFFo has the right of it. Well said, sir.

crazyredpraetorian
08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I disagree, there is definitely a line between Hobby and Heavy. If you bring a Hobby list to a Heavy tournament you just might not have much fun facing Dual Lash, 4x Land Raider, or Nob Bikers. Although, the line exists it is a very subjective line. I almost prefer Heavy Tournaments because I know what to expect.

Kahoolin
08-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree with crazyredpraetorian, just because something is subjective doesn't mean it isn't real. If people REALLY thought there was no difference between "hobby" and "heavy" then how could we have "heavy" tournaments? People know what you mean when you use the terms so they are real terms.

To answer the original question, if I was branching out from heavy to hobby I would simply make a list while completely ignoring this question: "How do I maximize my chances of victory?"

Forget about winning and go crazy with modeling whatever you think looks cool, or pick a theme from fluff like trying to represent a force from a particular historical campaign. Just forget that simple concept of aiming at victory that you used to base your list around, pretend the game is not about winning, and you'll have a hobby list.

And be prepared to lose :D

The Green Git
08-18-2009, 06:39 AM
What constitutes a hobby list? Is it staying with the fluff? Is it not spamming 3 copies of elites/fast/heavy/HQ choices? Is it a mix of both of these or perhaps something else?

I think spamming of the same unit in the list is a good indicator. Maximum Landraiders/Medusas/Lash Princes are a good sign it's a power list.

For me it's trying to come up with a list that characterizes the army in some stereotypical way. For example, I play Orks and like Deff Skulls.

A hobby or fluff list might consist of me taking an army with a Warboss on foot, a Big Mek with a Shock Attack Gun, a squad of Lootas, a squad of Tankbustas, a squad of Grots, multiple squads of Boyz on foot, a couple Deff Koptas, a Looted Wagon, Zzap Gun squad, and a Battlewagon. I'm diverse, not spamming the same unit, and going for stuff a Big Mek would like. I'll convert and make everything look like an Ork ripped it off from someone else. Units are chosen for their looks, wonky rules and how fun they are to play with.

The Heavy list looks much different. I take a Warboss on a Bike w/Powerklaw, Big Mek with KFF, Nob squad w/Painboy as Troops, all kitted unique to maximize wound allocation rules. I also take an elite squad of Mega Armored Nobz. Both have Battlewagons for transports. Two squads of Shoota Boyz and a squad of Grots at minimum size. Looted Wagon with Boomgun. A squad of Buggies for objective grabbing and a squad of Deffkoptas with unique gear, again to spam wounds. Units are chosen for combat effectiveness and survivability or the ability to move great distances and cover ground as quick as possible, either to get into assault fast or hide until the endgame and make last minute objective grabs.

For the first list, choices are all aesthetic. For the second list, choices are purely efficiency and combat effectiveness.

ZenPaladin
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
As some have pointed out these are all subjective things.

For me any list is played to maximize the fun of both myself and my oponent. As a for example I was playing an ork player who took a Pullsa Rokkit in a normal 40K game. The sucker landed dead bang in the center of my force and pined 90% of it for over 4 rounds.

Fluffy? Hobby? Un-fun defenatly.

In your case if you know about the fluf you might try to come up with a list that has a story behind it. You might try to play a list that has no elite choices or no heavy choices.

Now that doesnt mean you play to lose! If you don't have a single las cannon try to make a few krak grenade squads.

If you go all bikers make sure one or two have a few melta's.

A good idea of if its Hard or Hobby is.. if youve seen it a tournament and its done well? Its Hard. If youve never seen it in a tourny before? Its probibly hobby.

Herald of Nurgle
08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
And the Dice Gods left, upon their absence from the world, a tablet. Upon this holy stone it was inscribed the 10 commandments of the Hobby List.
1) GW is the Lord your God. You will pay no companies but me
2) You shall make your list no idol - the goal shall remain one untainted by that of powergaming
3) You shall not take the Dice Gods in wrongfulness - the ways of the Dice are not to me abused for the sakes of heaviness
4) Remember the Hobby and keep it funny
5) Honor your fluff and opponents
6) You shall not flaunt
7) You shall not commit the sin of pride
8) You shall not steal victory from rule interpretation
9) You shall not covet the internet's lists
10) You shall not covet anything that was shown on the internet

Love thy opponent
Hate thy rule lawyers

Vince
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
The criteria in my mind that I have been using when I put together some lists has been no direct contradictions with the fluff. Not using the exact same HQ choices. Not using 3 of the same for any elite/fast/heavy and when I do chaos not using multiple marks in my army. Would you guys think a list like this would fall under hobby? I really like playing in tourneys and my goal is to make a good tourney hobby list you can take to a hobby tourney and have a good chance with.