PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite HQ choice?

foostoofoo
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Now this one I'm looking forward to. What's your favourite HQ choice? The hellish Daemon Prince? The frieghtful Chapter Master? The Ressurecting Necron Lord?

Like I said I'm really looking forward to this one (named characters please go to my favourite named character thread), so lets hear it then!

VinceBlack
08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't play chaos (yet) but I love the winged demon prince with the mark of tzeench and warptime. That is one tough nut to crack and just an intimidating HQ imo.

Dosadi
08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
One Name: Eldrad

Dosadi

Aldramelech
08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Chaplin in Terminator Armour. Got to be the best SM model ever.

Herald of Nurgle
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
My 'Dreadprince'. He's a Daemon Prince of Nurgle, embodied in a large machine with Doombolt.

He debutted in a tourney of Planetstrike. 3 games. Only small battles to get people introduced:
1) Attacking, vs Tyranids. Let's put it simply - Drop Zone right next to objective, and then tears apart the Synapse in one turn. The Gaunts are torn apart by Possessed and Raptors, returning (Without Number) to the other side of the board. The Bastion ends up in the hands of the Prince for the rest of our game.
2) Attacking, vs Imperial Guard. Deep Strikes on target, and begins ripping the foe apart. His reign of destruction ends when a Company Command Squad gets out of a Bastion Crater (destroyed by the Prince) to take his last wound - Company Commander later dies to counter attacking Raptors
3) Defending, vs Space Marines. Pathetic opponent that I play each week, lol. I take apart some (As in 3/4) of his Tactical Squads with Minefield/Dangerous Terrain tests. Then the rest are torn by firepower and assaulting

Xas
08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
hive tyrant with wings, two scytes and everything you can get.
he rips apart every single modell that exists in 40k that is not a titan or stargod :D

Schnitzel
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Abadon. Easy. Ton of S8 hits with his base stat initiative. Lovely.

VinceBlack
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Abadon. Easy. Ton of S8 hits with his base stat initiative. Lovely.

Abbadon is a bad mofo... a bit pricey but the look on the opposing players face when he pops out of that LR is priceless.

Bluephoenix
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Flying hive tyrant for me as well :D

FirstLegion
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
No named characters people! :)

I'd have to say a Lord of Change. I'll just turn Abaddon into a Spawn!

grimm
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
As of right now, I'm in love with the primaris psyker attached to a vet squad, since I can't say Commissar Yarrick.

Dosadi
08-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Sorry about the named Character.

In that case;

Sorcerer of Chaos on a Disc of Tzeentch.
He's Jump Infantry so he can be hidden in a unit if needed.
He gets 6 S4 Force Weapon Attacks on the Charge.
He can have 3 psychic powers and can use 2 of them a turn. He’s fast enough to get close to use them and can hold his own in combat with a 3+ and 4++ save.

He’s just fun and people underestimate him because he’s not a Daemon Prince.

Dosadi

Glocknal
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Lord castellan Creed.

The scout ablity and his Furious Charge order suprise my opponents when my 30 man, 4 PW toting firebase charges them at I4 and Str4

Schnitzel
08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
No named characters people! :)

I'd have to say a Lord of Change. I'll just turn Abaddon into a Spawn!

And the dice gods will ensure this happens! He's failed one too many times, its a surprise the ruinous powers haven't made him one yet!

Alright, non-named character.... Chaos Lord with Combi Melta, MoK and daemon weapon (Bloodfeeder).
And question about chaos lords... they come with a 5+ invulnerable save so why doesn't upgrading to terminator armor improve on this!? Lame!

Mike Dunford
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
The answer depends on what kind of favorite we're talking about.

I love playing the cyborked big mek with burna, kustom field generator, and attack squig. (And I'm working on one on a bike). I usually tuck him in with a bunch of burnas in a vehicle. Reasonably survivable, for an ork, and lots-o-power weapon attacks. I'm thinking that on a bike and in with nob bikers he'll be able to deliver power weapon attacks early, with some klaw attacks in the unit for backup. And it's proving to be a very fun conversion to attempt so far.

My absolute favorite based on the look of the mini is the FW Ork Warboss on Warbike. It's a seriously cool figure.

My favorite kits have to be the Burger King (Have it your way) ones they've come out with for IG command squads, SM commanders, and CSM Term lords. Many options allow many different unique-looking centerpiece figures. I'd love to see the trend toward that type of kit continue.

person person
08-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Terminator Chaplain and Daemon Prince are awesome models. Same with the Emp.Champ.

As in rules EMPEROR'S CHAMPION!!!

Fluff, Daemon Prince

warpcrafter
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Abbadon is a bad mofo... a bit pricey but the look on the opposing players face when he pops out of that LR is priceless.

Unless you roll a 1 for his Daemon weapon's number of attacks, which I did 3 turns in a row last time I used him. My fav is the lowly Big Mek with Kustom Force Field. He preserved two units of Ork Boys through 5 turns of double whirlwind bombardment, thus keeping them on my Capture and Control objective for the tie. Second favorite is Mad Dok Grotsnik, because then you can give any unit a 5+ invul save.:p

PedroKantor
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pedro attached to a squad of 7 assault termines in a landraider these days. That extra attack every turn really makes a big difference when you get stuck in against tougher opponents.

BuFFo
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Dark Eldar Archite.

Point for point, the deadliest single model in the entire game.

Can kill anything except a C'tan with ease.

Culven
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
My favorite HQ right now is my Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Warptime and Wind of Chaos.

Pariah Stevo
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Kustom Force Field Big Mek. "Two penetrating?.....!Jelly Field!.....ingored them both" Muuhahhahahah

darth_papi76
08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
A Dark Eldar Archon with shadowfield and agonizer. It has a good chance of killing just about everything it fights (As long as the Shadow Field stays up...but alas, they never do)

N-Bomb
08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I wanna say skulltaker just for that fun, bye bye wraithlord-ness he has, but he's named.

One of my favorites is the primaris psyker, put him with a squad you actually plan on moving, and then when you know a unit is going to try to shoot you a lot next turn shroud and then weaken resolve from your chimera'd sanctioned psykers...nearly no chance of shooting you.

Aegis
08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I like me my bad choices... I am fond of the Inquisitor Lord. I know he is not that great, especially in comparison to either a Grey Knight HQ, or a Canoness, but the fluff and versatility of him means I enjoy him in every game.

Lord Inquisitor
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I like the Dark Eldar Archon with the shadow field, punisher, tormentor helm, animus vitae, and combat drugs. Expensive I know. But man oh man, Once he kills one model he becomes strength 5 and weapon skill 7. Then use the drugs to boost him to strength 6 and re-roll misses or extra attack and he is a total beast.

Savark
08-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Does Angron count? ANGRON ANGRON ANGRON!
No?
Yarrick, one of the only models in the game that is almost impossible to kill. Iron will FTW

Funkenschlag
08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
One of my personal favourites over the years has been the various incarnations of the Chaos Space Marine Lord in Terminator armour. A good model and, usually, great background and rules to go with 'em. Also Ork Warbosses have always been amusing and smitey.

Shas'O D'Narb
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Does a dead Ethereal count? ;)

Thirteen
08-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Does a dead Ethereal count? ;)

Lol, if so then that's my favorite as well.

But seriously my favorite HQ choice is the Malanthrope, my personal favorite model and just plain fun when played with.

Skragger
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree with all the Big Mek and Jelly Field fun-ness.. great for keeping those Troop Choice Deff Dreads alive to get into objectives.

But for sheer comedy value I love taking the Shokk Attakk Gun, it always leads to hilarity, nothing like rolling 12 ontop of that unit of Grey Knight Terminators.. oops!

In another note, annoying as the ability is, its hard to take anything called Warptime seriously.. I sounds like a bad dance from the 60s!;)

oni
08-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm partial to my SM chaplain. For 100 pts I think he's the best HQ there is.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
As an SM player, I actually hate them all.

I wrote a long dissertation on the choices in the Space Marine codex and the sad truth is either they aren't up to snuff for what they should be in the current game climate ("I'm a Librarian, I'm a master psyker who has trained sometimes for hundreds of years, I have a base of 2 attacks and 2 wounds and the main thing that is a threat to me is my own powers but fortunately I have no invulnerable save to deal with perils or anything with a power weapon"), either that or they have bizarre counter-intuitive rules ("I am a chapter master! I cost 200 points! I am an assault-oriented model, but I have a move that I can only use once per game if I stand still! The Imperial Guard have a 30 point guy who does this way better than me too!")

Lysander makes guys with bolters better but he is a CC model.

Sicarius does...almost nothing...and costs 200 points.

Pedro is not nearly on the level of popularity or celebrity as say Calgar or Sicarius or Lysander, yet HE inspires armies to fight like hell while people don't seem at all inspired by the presence of Calgar.

Shrilke grants a great benefit to the army but it doesn't make sense with his fluff (shouldn't they all get infiltrate?!)

Calgar gives you the power to do the most annoying thing a space marine player can do to himself -- pass morale checks. Using combat tactics to fall back is much more useful than anything Calgar does, and even though he is a beast on his own, odds are he will be dead pretty quick because he isn't as tough as Lysander (WTF!?!)

Lysander is really good but as I mentioned, his bolter rule is really stupid. And the bolster defences rule? What, did they think you were going to attack him to a squad of sternguard in a ruin!?

Tigurius? While being able to use 3 psychic powers a turn is awesome, 230 points for a 2-wound model with no invul is just madness. 2 attacks (well 3, he has a pistol), and a 3+ save, for that cost, is just inexcusably overcosted. This guy, AT BEST, should've been 170 points.

Khan is great and may even be a little undercosted without his bike. Having the bike however grants him the stupidly worthless ability to fleet, which works with no one else. No offense but does Matt Ward (author of the codex) have any idea that sending your HQ into a fight alone is just stupid!? Very few models can reliably withstand the return damage this causes in 5th edition; on top of that most of the SM HQs aren't going to put out more than 4 attacks on the charge, even a guard squad can luckily avoid getting swept by that.

Chaplain Cassius is a bargain but again has counter-intuitive setups. He has hellfire bolter rounds but can't charge if he ever uses them. His combi flamer, Infernus, is master-crafted and will re-roll one to-hit roll if you fire the bolter and one to-wound roll if you fire the flamer. Why wouldn't you just make the flamer better -- obviously no one is ever going to shoot his bolter, ESPECIALLY if they are within assault range!! On top of this stupidity, he also has T6 -- at first, it's like, "Whoa that's awesome!" Then you remember the rules for attacking units with their unit-wide common toughness. That means that this guy having toughness 6 is WORTHLESS if he is attached to a squad when being shot at -- which, if he's a chaplain, he probably will be attached to a squad! Again there is this awkward suggestion, like with Lysander, to put him with Sternguard to make them better instead of using him like an actual HQ. Madness!!

And Vulkan. What a crock. He is by far the best choice, tougher than almost all of the other choices and less points then a few of them as well. On top of that his benefits are insane and unlike most of the other HQ choices he really has no downside other than losing combat tactics. Add to this that melta and flamer weaponry in the codex is largely cheap or free and you have the ultimate no brainer.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Vulkan, Pedro, and Shrike.

The codex makes me wish I didn't have to take an HQ choice at all, but for the sake of filling the slot on the cheap I grab a Master of the Forge with a conversion beamer. He doesn't do much, but every once in a while he pulls out something big. He gives the bolster defences rule to a ruin where I usually have Telion and some snipers lying in wait with camo cloaks for a standing 2+ cover save. He dies pathetically easily (although, amazingly, less easily than Tigurius!).

The only other HQ I use is a terminator Librarian with a storm shield. He is disappointing all the time (Base 2 attacks, 2 wounds, powers that can kill him = not very useful). Sadly, the only reason I take the guy is for wound allocation trickery in my assault terminator squad.

blueshift
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
sm = librarian + storm shield ... avenger + nullzone

orks = quantity: 2 pk warbosses

chaos = prince + greater demon

blueshift
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
As an SM player, I actually hate them all.

I wrote a long dissertation on the choices in the Space Marine codex ....

a dissertation, indeed. beyond the realms of rant.

i would have to agree with you 100% on your post, good sir.

vulkan rules. but i've been having thoughts about pedro. sternguard are very capable of dishing out the pain, and with +1 A, they can actually hold their own in CC. throw in some units of vanguard, and you have one very solid core.

i think lysander is supposed to be the ultimate versatile independant character, with several squads that can benefit from his rules floating about.

DuskRaider
08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Chaos Terminator Lord in two flavors:

-Mark of Nurgle, Plaguebringer, and Combi-Melta

or

-Mark of Khorne, Bloodfeeder, and Combi-Melta

The Chaos characters suck.

Commissar Lewis
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, I am partial to my Canoness, as I initially started Witch Hunters but then soon switched to Guard. She can be downright mean when tooled up right.

That said, I love the new IG command squads. If you add all the possible advisors and such, you can have a squad that can soak up fire, especially if you add carapace and camo.

Also you can add Feel No Pain and up to 4 special weapons. I dunno, I just like my command squad.

Legionary
08-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Certainly in terms of the most effective and efficient HQs, the Chaos codex takes first place (as usual) with Daemon Princes. Even without marks they're good, and just about all of the marks other than Slaanesh's make the DP even better. T6 makes it almost immune to small arms fire, whilst it can become a combat monster with Khorne's mark or deploy some nasty abilities with a survivability boost if it's Tzeentch.

As for Chaos character sucking... they're all slightly too cheap for their potential on the field. Abaddon can carve through Space Marine squads with ease, as can Kharn if you're at a lower points limit. They may not have abilities that raise the power of the other units in the army, or give new tactical options, but they're some of the most deadly special characters in the game.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-27-2009, 08:06 PM
i think lysander is supposed to be the ultimate versatile independant character, with several squads that can benefit from his rules floating about. I dislike versatility in HQs only because if you are utilizing one role of an HQ, all the other aspects aren't being used. I pay for that thunder hammer and storm shield, that eternal warrior, that extra wound...why should I have to pay for those upgrades when they are rendered irrelevant by other upgrades being used?

For years I've wanted to have JUST a command squad. Especially since the HQ always dies every second game or so and I have no fluff explanation why my chapter master dies constantly...

To that end I have to say, the Imperial Guard Command Squads are excellent in filling the role an overcosted and not-that-useful character would be.

person person
08-27-2009, 11:32 PM
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Vulkan, Pedro, and Shrike.

Agreed.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
if no Named characters??? (well, there went my DW/RW/DBLW);

Fluff/Neat factor: Necron Destoyer Lords Just look good well painted.

Nastiness: SM Bike captains(for what they bring to the table otherwise) and Dakka Tyrants with T-Guard

Named;

FLuff:Nathaniel Garro(with BoLS rules OR as a chapter master)

Nastiness:too much context to whittle it down. Vulkan is one of the best, but personal favorite...I don't use alot of named characters for nasty-factor to be honest.

imperialsavant
08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
:) As a Black Templar player a Chaplain with Jump Pack, Orb & hooked up with a 10 strong squad of Assault Crusaders with Power Weapon, Flamer & Meltabombs.

For my Sisters of Battle: Cannoness with Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Book & Mantle accompanied by a Celestian Retinue with Storm Bolters, Vss with Eviscerator etc. :D

winknugget
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
a CC Flyrant is pretty tasty or walking tyrant w/ tyrant guard for shooty fun

Forrestfire
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd have to say Zogwort, if only for the look on my opponent's face as I squigify his UberkillyultimatedeadlyawesomeTM HQ choice.

terricon4
09-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I play orks and think the best boss is old Zogwart. Turning a 300pt army leader into a squig is always funny.
To add insult to injury is to kill his super powered boss with a grot squad!

Abuzorg
09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Chaos Sorcerer :D

Don't get me started on Demon Princes ...

Limunpai
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I like a simple 1 power farseer that I don't feel bad throwing into a dreadnought for a little russian roulette.

Aceblitzkrieg
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Easy... The Imperial Guard Company Command Squad... So many options so in one little squad :)

Ace

gserhar
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Chaplin in Terminator Armour. Got to be the best SM model ever.
I'm with you. That Terminator Chaplain just SO looks the part of a complete Bad Oscar.

Even without that great miniature, though, there's just something I really dig about the Chaplains... the whole Pseudo-Man of the Cloth who's ready to bust heads with a vicious zeal... just too cool.

Boys in Blue
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Easy... The Imperial Guard Company Command Squad... So many options so in one little squad :)

Ace

Just starting an IG army but.... the cost seems to be very low.

Vuron
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Eldrad

Sasquatch1916
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
wolf lord with lots of termies in my wolf guard

Xas
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Primaris Psyker.

70points of sheer awesomeness.

turns 1-2 you light up some rhinos.
turn 3 you light up the disembarked marines, closing in on your.
turn 4+ you slice their heads with 5 forceweapon attacks which reroll to wound (thanks to the friendly priest standing next to you and swinging that massive chainsword so the 1-2 marines that survive rather kill him than you).

on the note of lysander and mixed abilities: I wouldnt say you waste poitns if you use him in a combat role because a captain with the same wargear would only cost 30points less. so you pay 30 points for eternal warrior, +2S, +1damage chart, bolterdrill, stubborn and bolsten defense. in my eyes eternal warrior alone is worth the 30points on a 4wound modell!

Prometheus
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
For his points and fighting potential I gotta go with the one and only...

WINGED HIVE TYRANT!

Throw some scything talons and either another set of talons or a bonesword lash whip on him and your good to go. Hes cheaper and better then most other HQs in the game.

Scoota
09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Like most people, I agree a winged hive tyrant is the bomb. The Forgeworld model is awesome and big and makes you need to change your underpants when it lands.
Also 5 Tyranid warriors with +1 strength, +1 Ballistic skill and death spitters aren't too shabby.

Dark Eldar Archons bring the pain when they're tooled up.

I hate (because they're good) Wolf Lords with Frost Blades and a unit of 4 Wolf Guard bodyguard. It's expensive, but dear lord do they bring the pain.

krispy
09-04-2009, 12:16 AM
i gotta say from my PoV as a space marine player

i <3 my chaplain with jump packs when he is leading 10 assault marines, or even vanguard veterans with jump packs - rerolls ftw!

/k

Servant
09-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Chapter Master with Relic Blade, Combi-melta and Hellfire Rounds

I dunno, he just feels quintessentially "Space Marine" to me.

myhobbyroom
09-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Just a question, I am new to 40k. I built a Leviathan for apocalypse. Who would be the best HQ character for this vehicle?

doskar
09-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Like Blueshift, I like the terminator librarian w/storm shield and avenger/nullzone. He is a great force multiplier with my TH/SS Terminators. For my Chaos boys I like a Tzeentch sorceror with Wind of Chaos and Warptime.

therealjohnny5
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Well it's not one, but big fan of a Librarian SS\TH with mixed TH\SS\LC Assault Termies in a LRC along with Termie Chaplain. Re rolls on it, wound (LC), instant death (TH&FW)...bad day for those Tau.

I play RG and in small point games i also do the Jump Pack Chaplain with Assault Marines, If i go mechanized vanilla then i take a Master of the Forge. 5 pwr wpn attacks on charge and bumps up my Telion Sniper Squad cover to 2+ all for $1.25...not too shabby...

BUt for mere cheap and solid HQ, Tau and IG take it.