PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite two unit combo?

foostoofoo
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
So like it says what's your favourite combination of 2 squads? Lash of submission to group a squad up then a vindicator to blow them to bits? An example of what I'm hoping to hear from you guys, let me know who and why!

Mike Dunford
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Boyz behind grots. Simple, cheap, effective.

VinceBlack
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Lictor and genestealers.

VekortheBlack
08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Culexus assassin near a 10 man psker battle squad:D
12"ran str5,AP1 assult 12!!!!!
with a BS 5!
put him between 2 squads and its 22 shots!
cheesy yes
good sportsman no;)

The Green Git
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Kustom Force Field Big Mek in a Battlewagon.

Astrothumps
08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Callidus Assassin and Exorcist

Move their best unit into the open with "word in the ear" then nuke them with Exorcist missles

vman
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Seer Council (1HQ Slot, Farseer + Warlock Body Guards)
along side Wraithguard 5-10 man squad.

Farseer can doom enemy squads (Reroll to wound), as well as Fortune and Guide nearby friendly squads (Reroll failed misses, saves)
Whilst at least one warlock has conceal (5+ cover save for squad) and the others can take Destructor (its a heavy flamer)

So take for example the Following.

Seer Council = 1HQ slot (Farseer + 4 Warlocks)
Wraithguard = 1 Troops slot (10 man squad)

Wraithguard are T6 and so cannot be insta killed. A farseer will allow them to reroll missed saves, and also reroll failed to hit rolls. Wraithcannons wound on a 2+ and instant kill on a 6.

Seer council gets 4+ invul save and 5+ cover save from Conceal. They also carry 3 heavy flamer equivalents which work as an assualt weapon.

Deadly. Yes

Vince
08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
You dont get a cover save + a Invulnerable save.

Bung
08-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I think he means, the seer council has both buth can only use one of the saves.

Cause there are some weapons out there ignoring inv saves, like some Grey Knights weapons.

vman
08-19-2009, 02:53 AM
ok i obviously have the rules wrong, so how do cover saves work then?

jimbobjeff
08-19-2009, 03:36 AM
You can use one save or the other, not both, the only reason to have a 5+ cover as well as the invulnerable would be, as bung says, against grey knights and their invulnerable save ignoring weapons.

Diagnosis Ninja
08-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Pathfinders and Stealth Suits. Boost the Stealth to BS5 and giving -2 to cover saves, and watch the ork player cry. Sure, it's expensive, but it's funny :P

Cryl
08-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Terminators in a Land Raider Crusader. Basically you've got a really effective unit made even better by putting it in a shooty AV14 delivery system.

drummerholt1234
08-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Feeder Tendrils + any other Tyranid unit... It basically makes them hit 75+% all the time!

Dosadi
08-19-2009, 07:14 AM
The Avatar and Eldrad. High fiving each other as they walk across the table.

Dosadi

Herald of Nurgle
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Honestly I don't rely upon 2 part tactics - like a Hammer and Anvil. But if I did, then i'd say:
- Take a single Hammer which is a really hard assault unit. Break the opponent into the Anvil
- Take a large Anvil unit which is just a giant unit/wall etc. Opponent flees and gets destroyed by the Anvil

Duke
08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I may be a little biased, but... Dante and Corbulo bomb for the win.

Duke

blueshift
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I may be a little biased, but... Dante and Corbulo bomb for the win.

Duke

how does that work?

I dont have the blood angels pdf at work

BuFFo
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
As I have already said in the other threads about this same subject here on the forums, Callidus and Psyker Battle Squads. Its wonderful to auto kill Biker nobs and Carnifexes....

Valdore
08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Vets and Stormtroopers, with some form of transport. Stormtroopers get out and maul their armoured squads whilst the vets get in the way to keep them alive. Works well if you bunnyhop them, drop the stormies out in front of the vets, they shoot freely, no cover for the enemy, vets charge a unit through the stormies, after shooting them to make sure they win the assault, then they consolidate into line of fire so that the stormies get a cover save.

Chive
08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Its 2 units but i put them together to one. But any way Terminator Chap. and Term Assault Squad

darth_papi76
08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
The Avatar and 40 Storm Guardians (2 squads of 20). I'm not sure how effective it really is, but I play Ulthwe and its what I like to do.:D

Sir Biscuit
08-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Lascannon razorback + Vindicator

Put the razorback just behind the vindi, it can shoot over but not be shot at in return without killing the vindi first. Then, pop transports with the razorback and kill the squads inside with the vindi.

Katie Drake
08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
how does that work?

I dont have the blood angels pdf at work

Corbs gives Furious Charge to all Blood Angels within 12", and Dante gives Preferred Enemy to all Blood Angels within 12". You get two of them in a place where they can influence multiple units at once and you would not believe the amount of damage that you can put out.

My personal favorite combo is a Bloodthirster and a unit of Bloodcrushers. The 'Crushers turn everything into paste, and if one of those targets that they struggle with like a Dreadnought comes along, the 'Thirster can quickly smash it into scrap so the Crushers can back to what they were doing.

Shas'O D'Narb
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Full-on Farsight Bomb + 1 markerlight hit (4 hits if covered)

16x 6/2 + 8x 8/1 shots, hitting on 2+, wounding on 2+, ignoring armour.

Absolutely evil... just like the Greater Good. :p

Farsight
08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Don't forget the pathfinders' devilfish to make sure he lands where you want him. :D

MOZZ
08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Mentioned this in an earlier post but the one I am having the most success with is Ursarkar Creed allowing a unit of Seraphim to outflank. It's... beautiful.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been on the other end of that combo (Mozz's, in fact) and I assure you it is quite unpleasant...

My favorite combination of two units out of the SM codex is simply the Land Speeder Storm and 5 CC scouts with a Power Fist. They have performed equally well to my assault terminators on a pure unit-to-unit killing basis, and it's a great way to harass the enemy and force him to divert from his plans in the backfield. Using combat tactics, if any of them survives a rough combat I can fall back and often, on the following turn, reach my speeder (which no one shoots because of fear of the scouts themselves), and jet off to claim an objective/avoid becoming a free kill point.

The list of their victims is long and incredulous, heh.