PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite army build, horde, elite, mixed?

foostoofoo
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
So as the title says what type of army build do you like? Waves of gaunts swamping the enemy? A Deathwing Terminator force crushing the enemy? Or that army designed to have a nice ol' mix of everything?

So I want to hear which build you mostly favour, why and examples of armies you own using these builds(please just a rough idea, if you want to post a whole army llst please vist the 40k army list section!)

Herald of Nurgle
08-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Nurgle Marching Legion list
Large squads of Nurgle Marked troops, with sacred numbers all around. Everything is fairly hard for the common trooper to take down.
I do it cuz I loooove ma Nurgle!

BuFFo
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Strong Heavy Support builds.

twomas_rox
08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I enjoy a mixed group. I run a Guard army with Daemonhunter allies. So basically i have all my guardsmen run forward with my Grey Knights following close behind... Then i drop my GK Termies out of the sky to help the lil guys in combat. Works well for me. Especially with my Tanks bringing up the rear...

blueshift
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
i must say with the newest marine codex its possible to be outnumbered 3 to 1 and still have enough damage output to table the opposing army.

gief flamarz plox

clkeagle
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Favorite to play: Hordes. I like being able to take numerous casualties and yet not lose any effectiveness in my army.

Favorite to paint: Elite. I'd rather spend time lavishly painting fifteen models than basecoating and washing a hundred.

Rangerrob
08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Elite, High toughness / high save eldar Eldar with anything that takes the dice out of my opponents hands. (no saving throws)

Wraithlords, Wraithguard, Pathfinders, Mech Banshees, Mech Dragons...

ZenPaladin
08-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I prefer mixed forces that allow me to react dynamicly to the board and my oponent. Forces that can hang in any of the rolled games and give my foe choices about what to attack and me choices about which units to use and where to place/move them.

Consequently I almost never get more than one squad of any type excepting troops and even then I like to have little variation between them.

npullan
08-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Hordes. All kinds of hordes. Nothing is more fun than when your opponent goes all out to kill the 128 Gaunts running at him. Only to lose the game because they're worthless. SO satisfying.

Dosadi
08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I play different styles so I don’t get bored or complacent playing the same army.
My Ork army is a footslogging force with multiple mobs of 30 boys and tons of grots out front for cover.

My Eldar army is super elite with less than 40 models in a 1500pt list. I use Eldrad with warlocks & the Avatar backed up by aspect warriors. It’s built for synergy as the entire army supports itself. I love playing this style as I’m always outnumbered and have to rely on the superior skill of the Eldar to see me through.

My Red Corsair army is typical of CSM (or marines in general). Right now this is my favorite army as it’s the newest (one year old) and I really enjoy playing with the army. It’s probably the most balanced army I’ve ever fielded.

Dosadi

DuskRaider
08-20-2009, 11:01 AM
It depends, really. With my Death Guard I actually go 50 / 50 Elite (Terminators) and Troops (Plague Marines), with World Eaters it's very Troop heavy. Daemons is very MC heavy, Renegade Militia are 50 / 50 Elites (Berserker Ogryn and Khorne Berserkers) and Troops (Platoons and Bloodgor) too.

ChrisW
08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
i've always played troop heavy lists, CSMs troops never got better for choices. bolter & bolt pistol with ccw squads of ten with 2 special weapons stuffed into a rhino.

i my last just for fun 3600pt game i had 7 troop choices, sure 3 were daemons but they were 2200 pts of my force.

BlacknightIII
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
High mobility is what i usually go for, since i usually have a small balanced force i like to be able to quickly adapt and react to what the opponent throws at me. Lots of hit and run tactics, bait and switch, and random things like that to get that wtf?! look on my opponents face.

oldone
08-21-2009, 08:36 AM
it depends on if i know what my oppents play like marines or such. or if i wan to have fun or just win but normally i would go for mixed.

Cryl
08-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I like to play marines like I imagine they're meant to be, elite fast attack special forces troops. I tend to use a combination of drop pods and rhinos with a TH/SS squad in a landraider but it's certainly not a horde by anyones standards!

Shas'O D'Narb
08-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Definitely a mixed list... with typical Tau blend of mobile firepower but absolutely a list with a couple of different options. The ability to bring in a single unit only on 2+ in a round is nice, particularly combined with FireKnife teams and Kroot squads, allowing mass simultaneous reserves mid-late game whilst starting with reasonable vehicular (and Broadside) firepower on the board from turn 1-2.

Katie Drake
08-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Elite armies. I've personally never played a swarmy horde army for any length of time, as I get sick of buying, assembling and painting tons of models only to pack a score of them away per turn once I'm gaming. Plus my play style has always been very aggressive, so I do best with armies made up of small elite units that are deadly in close combat. Blood Angels, Daemons, 13th Company Space Wolves, World Eaters, these are some of my favorite things...

EmperorEternalXIX
08-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I would be remiss to act as if horde wasn't the clear victor in today's 40k.

Elite armies seem to be at a constant handicap since the new SM book. Not that the book is bad, but on a pure model to model basis, the "toning down" that gets done to elite low model count armies in order to make them more fair is absurd sometimes, especially when considered in the context of their own army lists.

At the risk of getting too off topic, I don't understand why small well-armored units seem to be the only thing in the game they are interested in putting negatives on, lately. I just don't understand why some stuff gets treated as "fair" when there is no negative. Seems in my SM codex almost everything has not only a negative, but often multiple negatives, or at the very least, odd limitations -- things we have to consider. What do you have to care about your men when you play a horde army? Nothing, especially when in the grim darkness of the far future there is only cover saves.

That being said I prefer elite armies, just wish they were better represented at times. If you are asking which is definitely better, horde wins hands down.