PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ships, Scenarios, Rules,campaigns rules, etc.

ThePov
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
In my experience, one of the best things about Battlefleet Gothic is the immense creativity it allows the players. New campaigns, scenarios, rules and even new ship designs are easy to create and often encouraged within the player base, allowing each and every player to have a unique experience within the game. I thought I would start a thread for us to share our little creative outbursts, to see what you guys have come up with. To get the ball rolling, here's a design for a new pattern of Strike Cruiser I've cooked up for my Badab War BFG supplement quest (Shameless plug, I know.) Anyway, here it is, fluff included.

Lamentors “Despair” Pattern Strike Cruiser

160 points by Smotherman

After the bloody action during the Tournament of Flesh, the Lamentors’ fleet was left in tatters. Seeing how ineffective their standard pattern Strike Cruisers had been against Runchard the Unsated’s main-line cruisers, and worried they would not be able to adequately fulfill their duty of protecting the shipping lanes near the Maelstrom should such an incident occur again, the Masters of the Lamentors Chapter decided to submit a request to build a more powerful, fleet-oriented pattern of Strike Cruisers to the Battlefleet Maelstrom High Command. The request was granted with deep misgivings, but the design the Lamentors wished to build, which incorporated a battery of lances and an advanced targeting matrix, was flatly rejected. The High Command deemed it went too far in the pursuit of fleet combat, and did not fit in at all to the role of planetary assault for which Marine navies are supposed to be geared. Stymied, the Lamentors went back to the drawing board and produced a second design, the “Despair” pattern, which was less of a radical departure from the standard Strike Cruiser, and did not wholly fill the Lamentors need for a fleet vessel. Never-the-less, it was the most Battlefleet Maelstrom would sign off on, and the Lamentors had to be happy with what they had. A very limited number of these new Strike Cruisers were made, and only to replace Strike Cruisers lost during the Tournament. This decision to allow a more fleet-oriented ship in a Space Marine fleet was one of the most controversial decisions in Imperial Navy history, and when the Lamentors turned renegade, it came back to haunt the the Imperial High Command.

The most striking difference between the “Despair” pattern and a normal strike cruiser is the lack of Thunderhawk bays. While this did reduce the ship’s efficiency and versatility when landing Marines onto a hostile planet, it did allow for a small set of torpedo tubes to be installed, which could also be used to fire more drop pods than a standard strike cruiser. The standard bombardment cannons were up-gunned as well, allowing the ship to have a slightly better short-ranged punch than a normal Strike Cruiser.

Type/Hits……Speed…Turns…..Shields…Armor….Turrets
Cruiser/6……..25cm….90……...1………..6+………2

Armament……Range/Speed…..Firepower………Fire Arc
Port WB………30cm…………..4………………..L
Starboard WB…30cm………….4………………..R
Prow Torps……30cm………….4………………..F
Prow BC……….30cm…………4………………..L/F/R

Special Rules:
Due to it's lack of Thunderhawk Bays, the "Despair" pattern must rely soley on drop pods to land its troops. It thus only earns 2 assualt points in a Planetary Asault mission on the first turn it lands troops, after which it scores only 1 point a turn for the rest of the game. Note that this is for the entire game, regardless of whether the ships stops landing troops at any point.

(BTW, the Smotherman Formula (http://yenlowang.free.fr/BFG/smotherman_formula_v205.pdf) is a system for creating and pricing custom ships based off of a careful deconstruction of existing, official designs and is an invaluable tool for the creative BFGer).

CrusherJoe
08-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Hmm, that's very interesting...from a game standpoint, I can totally see it.

...but from a fluff standpoint, I'm pretty sure there's no way in heck a SM chapter would be allowed by the Adeptus Terra to build such a ship. :)

But I like it regardles. I like it alot. :)

Faultie
08-19-2009, 05:14 AM
Actually, it's almost exactly an Arbites Punisher Strike Cruiser, but without fighters or special torpedoes.
Seems possible, I suppose, that the Lamentors could build/acquire a similar type of ship.

Kaar
08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Actually, it's almost exactly an Arbites Punisher Strike Cruiser, but without fighters or special torpedoes.
Seems possible, I suppose, that the Lamentors could build/acquire a similar type of ship.

I keep hearing about this Arbites crusier, but have yet to actually see the rules for it! Where abouts are they published?

Faultie
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
BFG Mag 10, I believe.
I have the pages ripped out of it.
They are posted here (http://blackstone.outpost10f.com/ships/punisher.html), along with a "How To Build" based on the one in the BFG Mag.