PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point IG army

Grotzooka
08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
So, I thought I'd post an idea for a 1500 point IG army for you all to kick around. Have at me.

IG
1500 points

HQ
Company Command Squad- Company Commander w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword.
Medipack, Standard, Vox, Melta, Krak Grenades
127 points
In Chimera w/ Heavy Stubber and Dozer Blade
75 points

Lord Commissar w/ Power Sword and Carapace Armor
90 points

Elites
5 Ratlings
50 points

Troops
Infantry Platoon A
Platoon Command Squad- Vox, 3 Grenade Launchers
Squad Aa- Vox, Grenade Launcher
Squad Ab- Vox, Grenade Launcher
Squad F- Heavy Weapons Squad w/Autocannons
245 points

Infantry Platoon B
Platoon Command Squad- Vox, Standard, 2 Flamers
Squad Ba- Vox, Flamer
Squad Bb- Vox, Flamer
180 points

Veteran Squad- Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol
Vox, 3 Meltas, Demolitions
145 points
In Chimera w/ Dozer blade
75 points

Fast Attack
Armored Sentinel Squadron- 2 Multi-lasers and Plasma Cannon
185 points
Hellhound OR Banewolf w/ Dozer Blade
140 points

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Lascannon, HB sponsons, and Heavy Stubber 195 points

1497 points

Chumbalaya
08-18-2009, 09:05 PM
HQ
127 points
In Chimera w/ Heavy Stubber and Dozer Blade
75 points

Power weapon, medic, kraks, dozers, and stubber are all pointless. Needs moar melta.

Lord Commissar w/ Power Sword and Carapace Armor
90 points

T3 IC? Bad idea.

Elites
5 Ratlings
50 points

Good points filler, don't expect much.

Troops
Infantry Platoon A
Squad Aa- Vox, Grenade Launcher
Squad Ab- Vox, Grenade Launcher
245 points

Bad call. Basic infantry aren't doing anything, massed popguns is not a viable strategy. If you're running HWS, you need to take at least 3 as they are so very fragile. Give those infantry squads autocannons too and blob up with a Commissar. Solid firebase.

Infantry Platoon B
Squad Ba- Vox, Flamer
Squad Bb- Vox, Flamer
180 points

Crap. More autocannons.

145 points
In Chimera w/ Dozer blade
75 points

Demolitions is overpriced, dozers suck. Get more of these, you need the meltas badly.

Fast Attack
Armored Sentinel Squadron- 2 Multi-lasers and Plasma Cannon
185 points

Crap, those weapons don't even complement each other. Keep them cheap, Scout variants preferably, and stick with multi-lasers or autocannons.

Hellhound OR Banewolf w/ Dozer Blade
140 points

I'd just get 2 Hellhounds.

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Lascannon, HB sponsons, and Heavy Stubber 195 points

Hull lascannon is crap, doesn't help against armor (just like a Battle Cannon) and is expensive for a 1 shot BS3 weapon. Sponsons are unnecessary too, 6 HB shots isn't exactly terrifying and you'd rather be moving. The LRBT itself is meh, anything it can do, other variants do better. Grab a Demolisher or 2, you need to bust heavy armor and 2+ saves.

You don't have enough armor to present a strong mechanized threat, you don't have enough guns to bring down light AV, you have only 1 unit capable of destroying AV14, and you have a lot of points sunk into junk upgrades.

A mixed infantry/mech list can work, just not this way ;)

1 Platoon, blobbed up to cap objectives with HWS for more dakka, multiple Chimeras full of meltas, Demolishers or Medusas hiding behind Chimeras with camo cloaks, Flame Tanks and/or Vendettas.

VekortheBlack
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
i would take Creed as commander he is worth every point! 4 possibly 5 orders per turn LD 10!

DoctorEvil
08-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm of the belief that when you put together an army list, you need to have a purpose or goal in mind for each unit before you kit it out. Whether it's objective holding, anti-tank, anti-infantry, etc....(or even a dual role), you need to have an expectation on what you want the unit to accomplish.

Take your company command squad, what do you expect out of it? Obviously, leadership and orders and the Vox and Standard add to that as does the Chimera for protection. Now it could have a secondary purpose, counter-assault, anti-tank , etc.....if it was configured for that purpose, I'm not sure what that is in the current configuration.

Infantry Platoon A is another example. Is it a static gun line or will it be moving? If it's static add more HWS and HW to the platoons, to make it excel at it's task.

Armored sentinel squadron? A 2nd Veteran Melta squad in a chimera will probably outperform this for abotu the same points.

Grotzooka
08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Chumbalaya, why do dozers suck?

zed
08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
its a good looking army to play against people that will play you again. You can bend it like beckham but ...

Grotzooka
08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm of the belief that when you put together an army list, you need to have a purpose or goal in mind for each unit before you kit it out. Whether it's objective holding, anti-tank, anti-infantry, etc....(or even a dual role), you need to have an expectation on what you want the unit to accomplish.

Take your company command squad, what do you expect out of it? Obviously, leadership and orders and the Vox and Standard add to that as does the Chimera for protection. Now it could have a secondary purpose, counter-assault, anti-tank , etc.....if it was configured for that purpose, I'm not sure what that is in the current configuration.

Infantry Platoon A is another example. Is it a static gun line or will it be moving? If it's static add more HWS and HW to the platoons, to make it excel at it's task.

Armored sentinel squadron? A 2nd Veteran Melta squad in a chimera will probably outperform this for abotu the same points.

The command squad's secondary purpose is counter-attack.
I will put more heavy stuff in Platoon A.

Chumbalaya
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Dozers are overpriced for very little benefit, it's just easier to go around terrain or risk the 1/6 chance of getting bogged down. If they were free I'd use them more.

Eyespy
08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
The command squad's secondary purpose is counter-attack.
I will put more heavy stuff in Platoon A.

Counter attack with five I3/T3/5+ models and only one S3 powerweapon? Just no. Let the assulted unit die and shoot the enemy. Alternativley, take Straken.

Also, lose the bolt pistol, its of almost no benifit and you effectivley lose 5 pts from your list.

i would take Creed as commander he is worth every point! 4 possibly 5 orders per turn LD 10!

For the sake of my mental health I assume this is sarcasm.

DoctorEvil
08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
The thing is, when ever you upgrade something you need to question its overall usefulness and effectiveness for point cost (in my opinion).

Something like Dozer Blade is only useful in certain situations (such as the need to make a difficult terrain test) and is of limited effectiveness (as Chumbalaya said, you only fail 1 in 6 times). With the points you're spending on Dozer Blades you could add two bodyguards to the Company Command Squad, thus increasing it's effectiveness as a counter-assault unit.

Another example is the Medipak. It's an expense upgrade for a Co. Command Squad. Given that the unit is protected by a Chimera, how often will the Medic come into play? Don't get me wrong, Feel No Pain is a good USR, but is it worth the cost? Maybe, maybe not, but there are some nice options that can be gain from dropping it. Regimental Advisors are a direct swap for point cost. If you drop it and the Ratlings, you can afford some of the special characters (if you like them), add infantry platoons, add HWS, etc....

I do suspect this list will struggle against vehicles. More melta is a good thing.

For me, 1500 point IG lists are difficult to build. It's the point cut-off point where you need to make some very difficult decision on what to keep in it and what to dump.

grimm
08-20-2009, 02:05 PM
From experience, you need to run ratlings in numbers of 7 - 30 to get anything out of them. Ditch the fifty point drop, or spend the extra 20 - 50 points.

Grotzooka
08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Round Two

More Autocannons, Commissar in Platoon A, More Vets/Melta, no more stubbers or dozers.

IG
1500 points

HQ
127 points
In Chimera
55 points
Lord Commissar w/ Power Sword
80 points

Elites
5 Ratlings
50 points

Troops
Infantry Platoon A
Squad Aa- Vox, Grenade Launcher, Autocannon, Commissar
Squad Ab- Vox, Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
300 points

Infantry Platoon B
Squad Ba- Vox, Flamer
Squad Bb- Vox, Flamer
180 points

145 points
In Chimera
55 points
Veteran Squad- Vox, 3 Meltas, Demolitions
135 points
In Chimera
55 points

Fast Attack
Hellhound OR Banewolf
130 points

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Lascannon and HB sponsons.
185 points

1497 points