PDA

View Full Version : retreating and shooting.

Dakilla
08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
At 40kdaemonreview.blogspot.com I found something that made me question a rule.

When retreating out of CC, when exactly can you fire? During the first retreat and than during the next shooting fase or just in your next shooting fase?

SeattleDV8
08-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Units falling back shoot as normal, in their own shooting phase.
BRB pg 46 explains this.

Dakilla
08-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Yeah that was what I allways assumed, but that blog confused me. Thanks for your answer.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Just to clarify, this means you can also run, but have to run the same direction you are falling back. Correct?

SeattleDV8
08-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Correct

Dan-e
08-21-2009, 04:48 AM
Just to clarify, this means you can also run, but have to run the same direction you are falling back. Correct?

Yes

And i have even done this before : ] some guy was chasing after a group of my Immortals, wanting to make sure they gtfo the table, and so i ran, pulling his unit with them... right into range of my monoliths partial whip. I was kind of shocked he let it happen, i guess the guy thought it was funny.

This is the only case i would see running as an option is if your being run off the board (that nasty, can't regroup if an enemy is with in 6 inches), but i would suggest always have them run only if there is more troops to back them up otherwise more of the time the chasers can just follow with out fear, make them want to run after then, into your fire lines or assault units.

tuffdart
08-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Do units make a fall back move at the beginning of each player turn or on their own, only.
I've heard this argued both ways.
We tend toward only on the players turn, since it says instead on a normal move.

Ambient Wrath
08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I would have to say that the fall back moves are only made on the Player Turn, of the Player who controls the unit falling back.
In the rulebook, it does say that the unit must make a Fall Back move on "each subsequent Movement phase," but on the next page or so, it declares how to actually make a Fall Back Move, under the Regrouping section.
Here it says that...
"A unit falling back can attempt to regroup by taking a Regroup test in the Movement phase just before they move."
I would Assume that the unit may only regroup on its own turn, otherwise, if you had a significant fall back move from an assault, you could then regroup on your Opponents turn, and have no negative modifiers for the regroup, (movement and shooting restrictions) placed on you during your turn.

Let me know if this makes sense, my wording may be poor... I am sleep deprived...

-Ambient Wrath