PDA

View Full Version : Another Island Of Blood review

Emperorsmercy
09-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Hello, and welcome to one of many Island of Blood Reviews you have probably seen already. Well, as you know, too many cooks spoil the broth and as I don't eat Broth I thought I'd add something.

Firstly, don't be put off by the weight. The box is VERY light, and makes you wonder whether it is worth the £60. It is and it isn't, as I'll explain.

As you open the box, you become incredibly excited. the sheer level of detail on the models is amazing, and my favourite one in there has to be the High Elf mage, just for it's sheer wonder. But all of the models, especially the Elves, are full of detail, and I spent a good few minutes just turning over the sprues to check them out.

The Templates are nothing to write home about, they'll do the job ok but not much else. Same with the little starter guide, while nice, is still just ok. But the rulebook is amazing, better than the normal rulebook just for it's portability (Although it's still not that small.). And being in colour, you don't even feel like it's second best.

The snap fit models are ok, but are quite tight and in some cases I just cut off the snap and glued the arm on, which was a bit annoying. You also have to look around a bit for some of the components, the rat Ogres in particular, but that's not much of a problem.

Having only seen the models in pictures, when you see them all in the flesh (Well, Plastic.) they all seem so... big. The griffon is particular is HUGE. The wing alone is the width of 3 rat Ogres (A useful new form of measurement, I know. 10 Rat Ogres make 1 Hell pit Abomination.) As I said before, the mage is easily my favourite model, followed by the griffon and Reavers. The Skaven models are good but aren't as good as the elven sculpts, in my opinion.

Now, the clinching question: Is it worth the price tag of £60 (Or $99 for you Americans (I think (I like brackets)). My answer would be... no. It just doesn't feel like it's worth it. Maybe £50, but for a starter box it's just too expensive. Maybe the sheer amount of models in Skull Pass spoiled me. :rolleyes:

BUT!

I'm not saying it's not worth buying them. I think, just this once, forget that sensible voice saying "Well, it's quite expensive....". Give it a go. The models are beautiful, they are indisposable parts of an army and it would entrance even the most sceptic of hobbyists. I would really reccomend this to the less sensible portion of the community (Which is probably most of you. I know I'm part of it. :D).

4/5

Mike X
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Now, the clinching question: Is it worth the price tag of £60 (Or $99 for you Americans (I think (I like brackets)). My answer would be... no. It just doesn't feel like it's worth it. Maybe £50, but for a starter box it's just too expensive. Maybe the sheer amount of models in Skull Pass spoiled me. :rolleyes:

$99 is correct for Americans. I haven't seen the box in person, but judging from the pictures online, I definitely agree it's way overpriced.

lobster-overlord
09-05-2010, 02:49 PM
$99 is correct for Americans. I haven't seen the box in person, but judging from the pictures online, I definitely agree it's way overpriced.

For what you get compared to other companies, yes, but compared to other comparable GW product, I think that the pricing is solid, although a tad high for my pocketbook.

John M.

Mike X
09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
For what you get compared to other companies, yes, but compared to other comparable GW product, I think that the pricing is solid, although a tad high for my pocketbook.

The 40K starter set is still $90, which is more appropriate.

eldargal
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I just don't see it, 40 clan rat and ten Swordmasters alone at current prices are seventy-plus pounds. 86 pence per miniature or so (sixty pounds divided by 70). What non-GW products are people comparing it to, out of interest?

TheBitzBarn
09-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I do not think that you are considering the cost of the mini's at all

The rulebook alone will cost you 20-25 dollars on the secondary market. If you play Skaevn, the clanrats are PERFECT slaves. There is Very little difference in the Clan rats in IOB versus the one in the Clanrat Box. So you figure 40 clanrats would run you 66.00 but they are not as good so say .75 cents a model versus the 1.65 that is still only 30 bucks for 40 models bet that anywhere that look as good.

The Warlock is a great model and far superior to the metal at 15.00 each The Engineer is Well worth the money and the Rat ogres are Ok not Great but at 15.00 per Rat Ogre int he Rat Ogre box this is a great deal.

The Swordmasters are Nice and very easily the equal of the metal and 10 of them in metal would rub you 45.00 easy. The Sea Guard are nicer than the Spearmen and if you price them at say 18 dollars then you still have over 60.00 dollars of value in High Elves.

If the box was not a Value why does the Warstore break it up and sell part at 225 dollars and clean out of it. Why do we at the www.bitzbarn.com sell out of it and we sell it for less but still it sells well.

If you want to or considering either of the armies than the box is a GREAT DEAL. If you want t play Orcs then No it is not a deal unless you want the rule book and want to sell off the rest of the box you will make your money back.

Aldramelech
09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I saw the models on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. The quality was very high and the proportions very good.
I do want the small rule book but nothing else and people are being a tad silly on Ebay at the moment (£15 your taking the piss!) I'll wait for people to calm down a bit.

On a side note I have noticed a lively trade in the big book latley, with some going for as little as £25.

The Madman
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
i got the starter set this evening for £48 from an independant stockist in my gaming club, i then sold the Skaven for £20 to a friend and the elves minus the griffon to another for£15. so all together i spent £13 on the rulebook, dice, templates, stick and the griffon (bits for my daemon prince).

TheBitzBarn
09-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I saw the models on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. The quality was very high and the proportions very good.
I do want the small rule book but nothing else and people are being a tad silly on Ebay at the moment (£15 your taking the piss!) I'll wait for people to calm down a bit.

15lbs for a small rulebooks is about the median range on the price I doubt you will ever see it lower than that proce as it is a steal of a deal at $23.00 seeing how it is 181 pages long

Aldramelech
09-07-2010, 12:35 AM
15lbs for a small rulebooks is about the median range on the price I doubt you will ever see it lower than that proce as it is a steal of a deal at $23.00 seeing how it is 181 pages long

I disagree. I think once the initial frenzy dies down you'll be able to pick them up for a lot less then that.

pokemont17
09-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Hello, and welcome to one of many Island of Blood Reviews you have probably seen already. Well, as you know, too many cooks spoil the broth and as I don't eat Broth I thought I'd add something.

Firstly, don't be put off by the weight. The box is VERY light, and makes you wonder whether it is worth the £60. It is and it isn't, as I'll explain.

As you open the box, you become incredibly excited. the sheer level of detail on the models is amazing, and my favourite one in there has to be the High Elf mage, just for it's sheer wonder. But all of the models, especially the Elves, are full of detail, and I spent a good few minutes just turning over the sprues to check them out.

The Templates are nothing to write home about, they'll do the job ok but not much else. Same with the little starter guide, while nice, is still just ok. But the rulebook is amazing, better than the normal rulebook just for it's portability (Although it's still not that small.). And being in colour, you don't even feel like it's second best.

The snap fit models are ok, but are quite tight and in some cases I just cut off the snap and glued the arm on, which was a bit annoying. You also have to look around a bit for some of the components, the rat Ogres in particular, but that's not much of a problem.

Having only seen the models in pictures, when you see them all in the flesh (Well, Plastic.) they all seem so... big. The griffon is particular is HUGE. The wing alone is the width of 3 rat Ogres (A useful new form of measurement, I know. 10 Rat Ogres make 1 Hell pit Abomination.) As I said before, the mage is easily my favourite model, followed by the griffon and Reavers. The Skaven models are good but aren't as good as the elven sculpts, in my opinion.

BUT!

I'm not saying it's not worth buying them. I think, just this once, forget that sensible voice saying "Well, it's quite expensive....". Give it a go. The models are beautiful, they are indisposable parts of an army and it would entrance even the most sceptic of hobbyists. I would really reccomend this to the less sensible portion of the community (Which is probably most of you. I know I'm part of it. :D).

4/5

Thanks you for the post.

DadExtraordinaire
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I disagree. I think once the initial frenzy dies down you'll be able to pick them up for a lot less then that.

I agree. Quite a few ******* on EBscam, once the rip off merchants have had their frenzy, prices will soon dip.

scadugenga
09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree. Quite a few ******* on EBscam, once the rip off merchants have had their frenzy, prices will soon dip.

Picked up mine for $22 off of ebay.

Not bad, all things considered. Since Warstore had it for $30.00