A Note on Dark Angels:
I felt this wasnt worthy of an article, so here it is...
The Dark Angels are not as non-competitve as everyone seems to think!
I repeat, THE DARK ANGELS ARE NOT AS NON-COMPETITVE AS EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK!
While many people harp on the points cost and wargear deficiencies, I remark on the things that while old, are superior to their more "modern" brother marines.
1. Old Smoke: Now while there are times I would rather have that 4+ save, the fact that Pen goes down to glancing is amazing, drive right up to those melta vets and laugh in their faces when they roll 8 + 2d6 and realize it means NOTHING (unless they roll double 1s, then REALLY laugh at them/their dice) while you can still be destroyed, the chances are reduced so that your vehicles can survive to fight another day.
2. Old Power of the Machine Spirit: Sure, BS 2 is no great shakes, but having this POTMS makes extra armor somewhat obsolete on your Land Raiders as they can always move 6" straight forward, saving one from the likes of MCs, possible melta, and any other nasties that might be headed your way.
In addition, the DA have some nifty tricks up their sleeves that Codex Marines cannot have/do!
1. AV 14/14/10 Landspeeder: Sure, he costs 205 points, but you get a Twinlinked BS 5 Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter, thats alot of Dakka on what is essentially a fast Land Raider Chassis! Plus, he grants Rites of Battle to the entire army for as long as he lives! (Ld 10) I cannot comment on the Jetbike as I have never personally used it however.
2. Rites of Battle: This is awesome, any character who has it, gives the entire army their leadership value for Morale, Pinning and Leadership tests. This makes it less important that every unit has its own sgt, or character to lead it.
3. Chaplains: DA get 2 different kinds of Chaplains, an Int-Chaplain with 3 WD LD 10 and a regular with 2 WD LD 9, This allows more customization within a list as well as points savings if one is to just use the chaplain as a reroll creator.
4. Deathwing: The Dark Angel First company, Deathwing... What is to be said... I love the ability to take 2x TH/SS 2x TWLC and an assault cannon + Chainfist or some other nasty variant. Throw in Fearless out of the box, and the fact that they are scoring, is a NASTY combination! Plus 1/2 of the squads in reserve can come out of reserve turn one and bring the justice of the Lion down upon those heathens who dare disparage the good name of the Lion!
5. Scoring Landspeeders! (Pg 27 of the DA Codex) You can have your speeder park on an objective and blast away...excellent!
These are just a couple of reasons why I think the DA are not as forlorn as most people would want you to believe, and that with competent generalship, they are just as deadly or even deadlier than their codex following (or ignoring) counterparts!