Today I got a PM telling me I had broken Forum Rules, so wasn't allowed a signature. Sadly, no mention was made of whether or not this would be returned for good behaviour. After the threads I've read on other forums involving senior members of the lounge, I think this unlikely.
Discrimination is always a bad thing, I think we can agree.
So, in that spirit, I hope no-one else gets a chance to get sigs back for breaking rules, unless I do.
For those who aren't up-to-date, the rules are these:
[B][I]BoLS COMMENTING RULES
1) Do not share, trade, link to, or distribute in any manner here, any copyright material, without the express written consent of the owner (especially GW stuff).
2) Spam is not tolerated on BoLS. If you spam you will be reported as a spammer to DISQUS and other Spam monitoring agencies, which may result in auto-moderation or subsequent banning upon further infractions.
3) No unauthorized advertisement. You must email BoLS (email@example.com) for permission to advertise a website or product. It is prohibited to link to pornography or content that can damage computers or data such as viruses.
4) Each member may have a single DISQUS and a single forum account.
5) Do not use racist slurs, prejudiced comments, profanity, or derogatory statements. Evading the language filter by using punctuation marks or purposefully misspelling words is considered an offense.
6) Do not initiate arguments of a personal nature. Be courteous to other users, even if you disagree with someone or believe that they are ill-informed. Refrain from flaming posts or comments. You may argue and debate, but do not make any attacks of a personal nature. We strive to make BoLS a place for REASONED discussion amongs fans of the Games Workshop and tabletop wargaming universe.
7) Do not hijack threads or make off-topic replies. Please stay on-topic.
8) Do not serial post/double post. Please delete such DISQUS or forum posts if you accidentally create them. Remember that registered DISQUS posters can fully edit and delete past DISQUS comments.
Members that do not follow these rules will be issued a private warning and have the offending post removed. Continual infractions will result in that account being banned.
We'd like to stress: Our community consists of players of all ages and from all walks of life, including minors. Please try to moderate your language. BoLS understands that there are times when there is indeed something that causes so much excitement or grief in you that you just have to blurt out a swear word, but try to keep it to a minimum.
Thank you for reading and respecting our rules, now go have fun.
Now, I didn't get the warning before punishment was meted out...but, y'know, maybe that's just the way things work here. It's still quite new. Maybe a communication problem.
For those interested, the only rule I'm aware of breaking is 6. the profanity in question is the name of a website and internet personality most people love to hate. I don't agree with censorship, y'see. That's why I haven't moved to China.
If I don't want someone to comment on my blog, I delete their posts, and email them, asking them not to return, politely. Hasn't ever needed to happen...but that's what I would do. Not ban their name - I think it's childish. Also, guess what? If it wasn't on the list of 'profanity' (c'mon, really? use the phrase banned words, please. Show SOME honesty here) I wouldn't even have done it. If it hurt your feeling, made you all butthurt...well, you brought it on yourselves. Unlike some other jokes I could make...but this isn't personal. Never was. It's about Free Speech. That's why this isn't on Mind War, it's here.
Practice what you preach. If you respect Free Speech, I get my sig back. If you're hypocrites, I get a ban for this.
The BoLS in your court.