BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Freefall:

Pretty much what other people said re: starting w/15 point battleboxes to start--will help a lot with the easing-in factor.

Another thing-your opponent was not being very nice to you in playing Retribution for your first outing. They're the faction that pretty much specializes in killing warcasters messily. Particularly with mage hunters, their unit attachment, and Kaelysa.

Kaelyssa catches everyone off guard their first time with her nasty sucker punch. Don't feel bad.

People who have played for 7 years have gone WTF??? after getting 1st round sucker punched there.

But, best bet--bring yourself into the game slowly and you'll soon learn to love the complexity and sheer madness.

And ignore the trolling like BitzBarn. Though why an internet retailer would want to not promote sales of any game is beyond me...seems too much like shooting yourself in the foot.

Smile

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Having read your suggestions and having put a day between myself and the agony of crushing defeat, I will indeed both play some smaller games to get the mechanics into my brain, and then work on a list that isn't so... self limiting.

And then, when the time is right, I will raise an army of sell-swords and steel-toothed mercenaries that will grind those flimsy retribution cowards into the ash of their civilization.
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Freefall945 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Having read your suggestions and having put a day between myself and the agony of crushing defeat, I will indeed both play some smaller games to get the mechanics into my brain, and then work on a list that isn't so... self limiting.

And then, when the time is right, I will raise an army of sell-swords and steel-toothed mercenaries that will grind those flimsy retribution cowards into the ash of their civilization.
    And, if you don't mind a bit of advice from a long time merc player--make sure to take a mule or two when going up against Ret--you can still target a unit with stealth, it just automatically misses. The scatter on a 4" blast will most likely catch at least some of those annoying Mage Hunter SoB's.

G'luck!

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    And, if you don't mind a bit of advice from a long time merc player--make sure to take a mule or two when going up against Ret--you can still target a unit with stealth, it just automatically misses. The scatter on a 4" blast will most likely catch at least some of those annoying Mage Hunter SoB's.

G'luck!
    Noted - However, the list my friend usually runs features Rahn (sp?) and what ever those magey dudes are called; You know, the ones with the pair of huge fists who are immune to blast damage? Between Rahn's spell allowing him to choose the way a missed shot scatters and the blast damage being functionally meaningless, I had written off blast weapons entirely.

Am I interpreting their rules accurately?
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Freefall945 View Post
    Noted - However, the list my friend usually runs features Rahn (sp?) and what ever those magey dudes are called; You know, the ones with the pair of huge fists who are immune to blast damage? Between Rahn's spell allowing him to choose the way a missed shot scatters and the blast damage being functionally meaningless, I had written off blast weapons entirely.

Am I interpreting their rules accurately?
    Without having the Ret book handy and going off memory, I think you're correct. I'm easily potentially off base, though. I'll try and verify tonight and get back to you.

Personally, I haven't played against Rahn yet, as my Ret opponent likes Ravyn & Kaelyssa.

There are all sorts of ways around this though. Harlan Versh would potentially eat the Mits for breakfast, being able to take free shots @ them for casting spells, and having Stealth to avoid incoming attacks. Nyss archers & Steelhead riflement (w/CRA and, in the Steelheads case, the ability to reroll a missed shot) are great for putting paid to Mits.

Drake's Tier 4 ability gives you almost unprecedented neutralization power by getting into melee range quickly with your heavy jacks. (advance move 5", you should have better than even odds of getting first turn w/Drake's +1 to the roll, then activate Drake, cast Energizer to get each of them 3" movement immediately, Then they activate and run 10". With a 2" melee range, your Nomads have (barring difficult terrain) the ability to put things into melee that are up to 20" from your deployment zone. That can stop the shooting.

Croe's Cutthroats are great counter-Mage Hunters, having stealth as well as the ability to do extra dice in damage against living targets, advance deployment, plus the bushwack ability.

Drake is does not, however, give you as much leeway for mistakes as the other Merc 'casters. Mags is still my go-to guy for dishing out disgusting amounts of pain. And he can still win you the game if you make a bad mistake.

Ah great...now that I think about it, WM/H sounds like mini-battletech-meets 40k-esque thing. Except the jacks look idiotic. Compared to this:

[url]http://sarna.net/wiki/File:CCG_Arsenal_Black_Lanner.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://sarna.net/wiki/File:Rfl-8d_rifleman.jpg[/url]

Yes, that's right. Battletech invented the Rifledread. And I prefer forty-foot metal monsters to pigs with back-cannons. :P
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Porty1119 View Post
    Yes, that's right. Battletech invented the Rifledread. And I prefer forty-foot metal monsters to pigs with back-cannons. :P
    Regardless of your taste in swine, the Rifledread's invention must actually be attributed to Macross/Robotech, not Battletech.

That's right: it is not the Tau, but your precious Space Marines that are the anime-inspired faction.

First-Captain

Ah great...now that I think about it, WM/H sounds like mini-battletech-meets 40k-esque thing. Except the jacks look idiotic. Compared to this:

And this has exactly what to do with the OP?

Veteran-Sergeant

As somebody who plays BT, 40k, and WM/H, the thing they have in common is that they are minis games that use dice. That's about it.

Like Faultie said, the rifleman frame (the original one) was derived from Macross/Robotech, just like all the "unseen" that seem to be causing so many problems for BattleTech these days (including preventing the Mechwarrior reboot).

Anways, back on topic, I'm glad to see your feeling a little better about the game, Freefall945. You'll get there, especially after slowing down a bit to figure out that initial learning curve.

Battle-Brother

As the others stated before - you should try to learn the game on a bit lower point level. But there's one more thing. You played your first game against a veteran. So in fact you had two opponents - his army and your own. Warmachine has a really steep learning curve and a novice playing against experienced players will lose and lose a lot. Accept that. It's not because your army is weak or simply suck. No. It's because you have to find out, learn and memorise almost every damned trick your models can do alone and combined, then try to learn out what your opponent's army can possibly do and only after that you may start thinking about winning. Looks dishearting? Please believe me - it's not that hard. And this game offers incredible amounts of fun regardless of whether you win or lose.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast