BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default So I started Space Wolves today & need some help.

ok so I managed to start picking up some stuff here & there. so far I have these:

x1 SM Battle Force box
    x1 SM Commander box
    x1 Scout Snipers box
    x1 SW Terminator box
    x2 Devistator squad box
    x1 AoBR Dreadnought
    x5 Thunderwolves

ok so based on what comes in the battle force & the rest can you guys help me out with my 1st list?

I will also purchase these next, but want to try & focus on what I have on-hand:

x1 Land Speeder
    x1 Drop Pod
    x1 Razorback
    x1 Wolf Pack box

will I have enough troops or should I get another Wolf Pack box?

& as far as HQ goes I havnt decided what to get.

thanks guys for your help.

Well, Grey Hunters are solid troop choices, so I think it's hard to go wrong there. With that being said, Long Fangs are pretty amazing so ensure you've got a squad or two of them, likely with missile launchers.

Honestly, I doubt you'll end up using the scouts much as snipers. The SW scouts are elites and have good use with their different infiltrate ability, suggesting that they're more accomplished with a close quarters, mobile role. Heavy weapons won't really help them.

Battle-Brother

so should I trade the snipers & get another unit of regular scouts? will I use 10 or are the 5 scouts that come in the BF suffice?

Battle-Brother

You could get transports for your troops, some rhinos could be very useful as grey hunters and blood claws don't have heavy weapons and benefit greatly from increased mobility

Veteran-Sergeant

What ever you do, dont EVER go for Blood Claws! or sky claws etc...
    Spelling errors are free of charge...

Battle-Brother

what about my question with the scouts? are 5 enough or do I need 10?

Battle-Brother

Most people say 5 is enough, To blow up a tank, cause some mischief and then get heavy flamered out of existence...

Instead of a land speeder I'd get a 2 wolf pack boxes instead of 1. Speeders are nice, but not mandatory, and you need more bodies in the army.

I like using units of 5 scouts w/melta bombs and a meltagun, and I outflank with them. At 110 points they're a nice unit for sneak attacking an enemy tank, but they probably won't survive long even with greater numbers, so I'd just use 5.

Scout snipers don't get much use in the Space Wolves army because long fangs are a lot better, and there aren't enough elite slots to spare. The main reason scout snipers get a lot of use in regular SM armies is because in those armies they're troops.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Scout snipers don't get much use in the Space Wolves army because long fangs are a lot better, and there aren't enough elite slots to spare. The main reason scout snipers get a lot of use in regular SM armies is because in those armies they're troops.
    I see. oh well I guess there going back.

Should I get another box of Terminators or is 5 enough? & how should I equipt them for both cc & range attire?

I'm starting SW too and this is my planned configuration for my termies:

2 with Power Weapons and Storm Bolters = 66pts
    1 with Power Fist and Storm Bolter = 43 pts
    1 with Power Fist, Storm Bolter, and Cyclone Missile Launcher = 73 points
    1 with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield = 63 points

Together that comes to 245 points. The 2 power weapons can strike at initiative to limit incoming attacks, the storm shield can soak up a power weapon hit, and then three guys (hopefully) hit back hard. There's also 4 storm bolter shots + 2 missile launcher shots. I feel like it's a good mix of firepower and assault ability, but I haven't play tested them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast