BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Has any body played Wings of War???????????????

Hey guys - anybody played wings of war, a WWI biplane combat game with pre-painted metal minis?

Cheers

Denzark

PS want to know what its like, not just have you played it!!!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Banned

John of John's Toy Soldiers [URL="http://johnstoysoldiers.blogspot.com/search/label/Wings%20of%20War"]has some write ups on the game[/URL]. Haven't played it myself though.

Chapter-Master

thanks gotthammer - anyone else??

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    thanks gotthammer - anyone else??
    Extensively. We love it. My Friend has all the WW1 aircraft and we have played the WW2 game as well.

It is simple to play and yet really captures the feel of air combat. There are no dice involved, the game runs on a card based system. Highly enjoyable.
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 09-12-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Chapter-Master

Cheers fella might be tempted to give it a whirl. Treat your kite like you treat your woman - climb inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back - woof!

My Oppo went to Colours last weekend where he purchased one of the new Barrage Balloons, its huge apparently. Cant wait to shoot it down.......
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

Wings of War has a good following here in Austin. You can visit the Great Hall Games forum for any upcoming events or post if you want to play a casual game. We have also been looking at Check Your 6 which is a set of rules for WWII air to air combat. They just released a Check Your 6 Jet age version and some of the store are getting ready to use them for an Arab-Israeli War campaign.

Fly Lord

I've got a thing for anything WWI aviation related and those prepainted minis are very hard to resist.

I'm gonna have to get into this one.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I'm an aviation nut, its where it all started for me back in the 70's, building serious 1/48th scale aircraft. Ive played every WW1 air game ever and trust me when I say "Wings of War" is hands down the best system ever. It really is simple, you'll be playing smoothly and without looking at rules in under an hour, and yet captures the first air war exactly with all the aircraft behaving exactly as they should.

Each Aircraft model (which are beautiful) comes with its own unique card deck, each card has a maneuver on it, you place three cards at the start of the turn face down and then reveal them. You place the Aircraft on the card and it follows the line printed on the card. There are certain rules as to which cards can be played e.g. you have to do a full speed twice before you can climb with most aircraft. To shoot you draw random cards from the shooting deck, the result you keep secret unless your on fire or blow up, Ive seen a guy run from someone with both guns jammed! lol. When you've played all three cards, you start all over again.

Problems: Only one and its a small and avoidable one. Don't get maneuver cards from other aircraft mixed up, like I said each type has its own unique deck.

Chocks away!

Last edited by Aldramelech; 10-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Librarian

Our local group holds a big event every year with traders and competitions. we always have a wings of war participation game in the canteen, arguably the most popular participation game going. its such an easy game to get into, you basically all plan your moves ahead, then everyone plays out their cards in the prearranged order, and the cards physically provide the movement (a straight line move is a cards length)

very fun game, all it needs is enthusiasm!
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast