BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    roll mats on arms perchance sirrah?
    You could have wished us a happy 346th birthday yesterday, you miserable sod!
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Hey guys - anybody played wings of war, a WWI biplane combat game with pre-painted metal minis?

Cheers

Denzark

PS want to know what its like, not just have you played it!!!
    I played a game of it at the new Gaming shop called "Hall of Heroes" in Campbelltown Sydney Australia. There is a good following there, and Matt is going to stock it on his shelves.

The game looks really good, and if you don't use the altitude rules, it looks very quick, easy, and fun to play.

I would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    I played a game of it at the new Gaming shop called "Hall of Heroes" in Campbelltown Sydney Australia. There is a good following there, and Matt is going to stock it on his shelves.

The game looks really good, and if you don't use the altitude rules, it looks very quick, easy, and fun to play.

I would recommend it.
    Aint nothing complicated about the altitude rules.

If you want to climb you do a straight, followed by a climb, followed by a straight and if your plane is really bad the same again next turn until you have done enough climb moves for you to gain altitude (It depends on your plane how many climbs you have to do and you cant climb two cards in a row) you then add a plastic bit to your aircraft stand to show what altitude your at. If you want to dive, you just play a dive card and down you go. You get a bonus on shooting if your diving on a target and you get a minus if your target is one level above you, thats it........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Scout

It's quite a good game, with tier based rules that start out extremely simplistic (think standard dinner table board game), and move up to the complexity required to play scrabble (i.e. - a little thought required beyond rolling dice). I've played with the full altitude rules with extended family down to the age of eight with much success.

There are numerous forums across the net that have provided home brewed changes to the system, that are easily adaptable and add quite a bit more complexity and stregedy to it. I haven't had a chance to review the last update, the "flying Giants," so I cannot comment on that unfortunately.

Models are readily available across the net, although some of the first run models are a bit more expensive then the latter runs. Currently, it would appear that Fantasy Flight has parted ways with the game, and although the creators are looking for a new distributor, I haven't read much on where that stands as of yet. I don't expect the system to die, but I do see a down-grade in the population playing it over the near future; especially as "Check Your 6" modifications for WWI are slowly rolling about on the forums across the 'tubes.'

I have SOOOOOOOOOO wanted to try out this game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123