BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

This is mostly general CSM advice based on what you are taking. If you have a better idea of how you like to play I'll give you ideas in that direction.

All in all, I find the MoN to be generally useless and WAY too expensive. I would prefer the MoK on a 10 man squad. You'll lose furious charge and fearless, but you'll basically have a berzerker unit with better weapon choices.

Personally, I like the plasmas in the berzerker squad. I feel like it rounds out the ability of the squad with a S7 weapon with very little risk. If you wanna rock 10 of em I say go for it. Your increment of killyness on the charge against a vanilla 10 man SM squad goes from 47% to 59% with the addition of 2 guys. At I5, that just means 1-2 fewer guys get to swing back.

For the vehicles... DP on the LR is key. I like the Reaper on the Defiler. The lascannon on that dude is a waste. Rhinos are the VW busses of 40k. Keep em basic. I wouldn't put leather seats and Bose surround in a VW bus, so don't waste expensive upgrades on the Rhino. Extra armor and/or a combi weapon is about it.

Remember what I said about the MoN? Forget it when you do your demon prince. Since he is immune to instant death, the extra toughness actually helps. WS <4 opponents will need 5+ just to hit. And the T6 will make it so only guys with S8 can wound on a 2. Warptime, yes. Not bad for 175 pts.

I still haven't found an effective way to use my chosen. I like everything about them though.

Consider a 3 man squad of Terminators with a combi-melta x2 and a combi-flamer. Maybe a chainfist. Deepstrike them in to scare the crap out of vehicles and divert fire from your main force. Again, for 120 pts your can't go wrong.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Don't take any additional weapons except maybe a combi-melta (which counts as a defensive weapon, even if you use the melta).
    Are you saying the S8 melta part of the combi-melta counts as a defensive weapon? Do you have a reference to support this? It sounds like something I'd like to do.

Chapter-Master

it is only a defensive weapon if you are firing it defensively--- ie str4. Anything that is str5+ is a 'main weapon'.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    it is only a defensive weapon if you are firing it defensively--- ie str4. Anything that is str5+ is a 'main weapon'.
    The Codex: CSM says otherwise. Page 87, Pintle-mounted combi-weapon:

Pintle-mounted weapons are treated as an additional weapon, with the profile of a normal combi-weapon, which can always be fired in addition to other weapons if the vehicle did not move more than 6"
    Last edited by Ulf; 09-15-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    The Codex: CSM says otherwise. Page 87, Pintle-mounted combi-weapon:

Pintle-mounted weapons are treated as an additional weapon, with the profile of a normal combi-weapon, which can always be fired in addition to other weapons if the vehicle did not move more than 6"
    Nice! I like it. I totally missed that.

Though, to be honest, if your Rhino moves 6" it would still fire it's one weapon (the combi-melta) plus all defensive weapons (the one twin-linked bolter). No benefit to the Rhino.

On a LR, it is rare that I move less than 12", but throwing out a melta and a lascannon at the same time after moving 6" could have some serious benefits. "In your FACE PotMS!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12