BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Deconstructing" Vehicles

Heya BoLS, Recently, I came across a chimera conversion that I pretty much fell in love with....but there is a problem...I found the conversion after I built 3.5 chimeras (one is still in progress). So...is there any easy way to break down a vehicle into its constituent parts without destroying it in the process? I dont suppose Simple Green or Purple Power will weaken CA glue?
    Why do my Guardsmen always seem to be in leg warmers??

What is CA glue? If it is of the sort that melts the two layers of plastic together I don't think simple green will help. But if it is superglue it should, I bought a few vehicles at a boot sale which were covered in 4mm of paint and a hell of a lot of superglue and after an exceedingly long soak in simple green it all came off and they fell apart.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I believe that CA glue is cyano-acrylate, so yes that would be superglue which means there is hope.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Superglue- a little mechanical force, aided with a sharp knife works wonders.

Aye, by CA Glue I meant cyano-acrylic. Thanks for the info...I shall prepare the big tub-o-simplegreen.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    Superglue- a little mechanical force, aided with a sharp knife works wonders.
    Dang, and all this time I always used a hammer*.

* This is a joke in the event you did not catch the sarcasm.
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Chaplain

Freezing will often help to weaken the bond beforehand as well (due to the way it cures and encapsulates water molecules.)

Quote Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
    Freezing will often help to weaken the bond beforehand as well (due to the way it cures and encapsulates water molecules.)
    Good idea!

But make sure the model warms up to room temperature before you start pulling or smacking it.

Thats a damned good idea....thanks!!!
    Any idea on optimal freezing time? Or let it sit overnight?

Chaplain

Overnight works well.

Works even better on metal/plastic hybrids due to the differing thermal expansion qualities of metals v plastics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast