Flamer
    Heavy Flamer
    Melta Gun
    Lascutter
    Demolitions
    Valkyrie Carrier
    Multilaser, MRP’s, HB sponsons

2001pts

That's my rough list, any critiques would be appreciative, and don't worry i got thick skin

Keep in mind this is all theoretical and uses my personal playstyle with my armored cavalry list. But it should translate to Elysians as well. Especially since I too am building a list. ^^

I'd lose the mortars and special weapon squads first off, and either use those points to get missile launchers, or either kind of sentinel. 105 points for three fire on the move heavy bolters with move through cover, or two multi meltas for 100 is my preference. Also, if I was going for snipers I'd give them to a vet squad, with camo cloaks, and either a Launcher, or bolter and let them be my long range support.

Speaking of the veteans, you might want to use two flamers, or two melta rather than one of each. If this is going to be your assault squad I'd go with meltas so they can cut down anything, even if the flamers mean you'd get more hits. Probably move the power fist from your CCS to the vet sarge as well to maximise that High strenght stuff. I find my mechanized vets work well with shotgunsm 3 meltas, and a P.fist sarge. Though the squad usually dies if I actually do throw them into close combat the carnage they can wreak, as well as the shock of close combat with guard, has thrown off a few opponents.

AS for fast attack. You're not squadroning the vendettas right? If you are. I'd reccomend against it, as you have an extra slot. Now if you use multiple Taurus I'd squadron up them instead, as there's a 50/50 they ignore the immobilized, are easier to keep together, and people shoot fewer railguns at them.

I'd also try to keep the upgrades on the CCS minimal. In my experience they're better off cheap and giving orders rather than fighting. Or serving as the backup to the line squads. At 2000 points I usually try to run two, but again, I mostly run vets in chimeras whereas your list at least has some platoon commanders to help out.

Also, add another crewman to the scanner. If that one guy bites it you lose the scanner.

Thanks for the ideas

The Vendetta Squadron was a typo from my earlier list.

The mortars are a personal fluff choice (im a mortarman in the Marines) gotta show what we can do

i was thinking about the special weapons squads though, and i agree the extra melta in the vets would be better with the heavy flamer along with the power fist, i wanted to keep the the assault aspect of the vets, with the fire power they can bring i think they could mop up many basic infantry units in CC.

Chapter-Master

I love mortars!

While many people like units that can do everything, I like have specialized units. PCS with flammers, vets with plasma/melta/sniper (better BS), SWS with flamers, demo, melta (lower BS) melta only because the unit is a cheap prayer anti mech unit.

Looks very mobile. I agree with using a couple Drop MM Sentinals. They can be effective and more importantly, make opponents think about the threat they represent.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

My personal favorite loadout for my vostroyan mechanized vets is three meltas, shotguns for everyone else including the sarge, and a power fist on the sarge. If I can get the charge off I can usually put a dent in most everything short of plague marines and major CC units, even better if I can get two or more squads in there at the same time.

But again, that unit usually dies within a turn, and drop troops seem to be just a bit more fragile than mechanized as you lack the drive by tactics of the chimera.

For drop troops I've been pondering keeping the vets cheap, with grenade launchers, and (maybe) a demo charge and using them as late game objective grabbers, or becoming a speedbump if their valkyrie gets shot down. If you use the valkyrie to outflank this can work a bit better as it'll either reduce the fire it has to suffer, or surprise your opponent right as he's starting to wade through the rest of your army.

AS for mortars it's not that I don't think they're effective, it's just I fight a lot of all fearless armies and the Steel legion models don't have mortar crew. :P

So for me Missile launchers are the go to infantry heavy weapon, which I usually don't take anyways in preference of more sentinels or aircraft. Valkyries can serve as effective mid range anti horde when given rocket pods, and vendettas make very good tank and character snipers. Though I've stopped boterhing giving either heavy bolters as it's either against their role, they die before losing them becomes an issue, I can use those points elsewhere or it makes them slower.

And one last bit of advice, try to have redundancy in your list. With an army that's as prone to casualties as the guard, having two cheaper squads is far better than one specialized unit with all the trimmings. If one squad of vets with meltas and a valkyrie are good, then two are awesome.

typo
    Last edited by LemanRussCommander; 09-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.

So i revamped the list and i think i got some of the kinks out of it. I downgraded the HQ choice and removed some extra squads and a good ebay grab, added some more valkyries. check out the new list and tell me what you think

Elysian Drop Troop Army in progress

HQ

Company Command Squad 112pts
    Company Commander
    Bolt Pistol
    Melta Bombs
    Homing Beacon
    Vets
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Officer of the Fleet

FAST ATTACK