BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Lords of Decay

Question Lords of Decay

So....

Looking at doing a Nurgle-themed Chaos Marine force (plague marines as troops, characters with the Mark of Nurgle, as well as daemons, a dread and spawn, and an Obliterator cult because they're fun). Obviously the default option would be to paint them up as generic Deathguard (so, dirty green base coat). However, the off-white/bone and red colour scheme of the Lords of Decay (as presented in Imperial Armour 7: the Siege of Vraks Vol. 3, and a tiny picture of them in the current CSM Codex) really appeals - it strikes me as a fun scheme to paint, it'll look (a little) different from a default Plague Marine army, and there's the potential to jazz it up a little with washes and weathering powders (particularly rust).

What I'm wondering about though is the background of the Lords of Decay - from my research on the internets, it seems that they are a splinter faction of the Deathguard (I'd imagine, in much the same way as Typhus and his followers have made a spit from Mortarion and the main body of the legion), which seems good as assuming any future rules/army list hijinx from GW, it would still (easily) allow use of them in the future if a Legions codex is released (which I doubt).

So, I was hoping that anyone with the knowledge could tell me, do you know any sources for background/information on the Lords of Decay apart from Vraks 3? Is there even much in the way of information about them in that book? And finally (for now, at least), is Vraks 3 worth the asking price (I've read some reviews, but I baulk at the price considering that I'll never own most if not all of the models that the rules relate to)?

Thanks for your time, and may Father Nurgle bless you with magnificent buboes (or not, your choice ).

Veteran-Sergeant

Vraks III doesn't have much in the way of background specifically relating to the Lords of Decay, but it does have stuff on the other Nurgle factions. There is a TON of background on the actual conflict though. I haven't read it all and I'm sure you can find stuff on them in there.

There are a couple cool pictures of the paint schemes. Particularly, the Lords of Decay paint scheme on their LRs and Rhinos is in there. That alone might make it a worthwhile buy.

The price of the books is pretty high. I felt like the Model Masterclass book was a better buy, but I am more interested in the pictures of the vehicles.

Smile

Thanks Lykum, good to know! I probably won't worry about getting hold of the book in that case - it's tempting for the colour plates, and the Servants of Decay list, but I can't really justify the cost (considering how many plague marines I could buy for the price ). It's good to get another view on the books anyway - maybe it's something for some point in the future (sounds like the background is nice, but non-essential).

Cheers!