BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Forge

Default Warhammer Forge

Just got back from Games Day UK (I was the Tech-cultist in red and black robes with a rebreather, if anyone else was there!)

Warhammer Forge, the new WFB version of Forgeworld, was amazing. Here's the stuff I learnt:

The first book will be about a Nurgle general (with Chaos Dwarf support) invading the Empire. It will be taking the WFB storyline further forward, and the books will be shaking up the Warhammer world and changing things!

These books will be similar to Imperial Armour: lots of fluff, rules, etc.

There will be lots of funky models to co-incide with this first book:
    Nurgle:
    • The main warlord, on a massive fat wingless Toad Dragon
    • Giant mutated toads. There's a strong toad theme! These are disgusting looking beasts, and come either as toads on their own or with plaguebearer riders. They'd make good Beasts of Nurgle in normal/40k armies.
    • A guy riding a rotbeast, some sort of big nasty Nurgly creature?
    • New chaos spawn. He had 3 heads?
    • Chaos ogres
    • Chaos trolls
    • Some character models, including Plaguebearer command that had a musician with a HUGE mouth
    • Maybe add-on-packs for Chaos Knights, to make them more Nurgle? These weren't on display, but their concept art was and they were being talked about

Chaos Dwarf:
    • Lots of war machines! The war machines are all very Evil Steampunk. A little bit orky (but not ramshackle), a little bit dwarf (but no runes), very spiky, very cool!
    • One with giant hammers that go up and down crushing people
    • The Magma Cannon, a big flamethrower type thing
    • There was a massive Gun Train type thing, with 3 seperate carriages all with huge cannons or rockets or so on
    • Didn't see many actual CD infantry. Not sure if there will be any or if the war machines are just there to support Nurgle infantry (like the Hellcannon is in standard Chaos armies).
    • I spent lots of time looking at concept sketches. In general the Chaos Dwarf theme was still strongly Mesopotamian, lots of scale armour and big beards. Horns growing out of people's heads seem to be in fashion. Hats were big- not quite as big as the biggest old guys, but still large. Hobgoblins were still very Mongolian, following on from Hoblakhan's guys.
    • I had a very surreal conversation with the Warhammer Forge guys where they told me about how Dwarves were all northern Englishmen, and they use the braziers on their hats to keep them warm in t'pit, and they keep pies hidden under their hats. This may not be canon.

Empire:
    • Resin bodies for handgunner/crossbowmen and swordsmen/etc. The idea being that you buy 1 plastic box and 1 set of resin bodies and then split the plastic boxes arms between the 2. Cunning.
    • The Emperor's Life Guard on a Demi-Griffon. Which is like a Griffon without wings. Apparently they're considering making a unit of these, led by the champion. Madness!
    • The Land Ship. A mix of a steam tank and ship. Awesome. Apparently the invasion turns parts of the Empire into swamps, meaning they need amphibious vehicles

Apparently the first 4 books will be about 4 huge Chaos invasions, happening all around the WFB world, led by 4 siblings. I'm guessing this will mean 1 book per God, and they'll try to cover lots of different armies as the enemy factions.

Had a particularly fascinating chat about Skaven- possible Vermin Lord (yay!), possible add-ons to the Doomwheel or Screaming Bell sets- what if the Doomwheel was used as just the wheels of a bigger object? Or a generator? Or imagine teleporters, mixing people together like in the Fly for Moulder? It's possible the Skaven will rise up in large numbers, whilst the Empire is distracted by defending themselves from the Chaos invasions...
    Last edited by miteyheroes; 09-26-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Storm of Chaos as it should have been?

Regardless, thanks for the detailed information. This sounds like it will be very interesting at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Magos Bellum View Post
    Storm of Chaos as it should have been?
    That's what I'm hoping!
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Chapter-Master

The Dwarf train was awesome, as was the toad dragon. And the empire landship!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Grand Provost Marshal

Invasions all over the Warhammer world?! I can only hope this means that Warhammer Forge will, at some point, put out some Kislevite models.

*fingers crossed*

The WarForge books will be set in a alternate timeline, too. Apparently Rick Priestley said the first four tell the story of what would happen in Chaos won. Very exciting.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The WarForge books will be set in a alternate timeline, too. Apparently Rick Priestley said the first four tell the story of what would happen in Chaos won. Very exciting.
    Hmm, I chatted to Mark Bedford for ages and he didn't suggest it was an alternate timeline. Odd. Guess we'll see what happens...

Chaplain

Perhaps it is a timeline split? Forge world continuing the story without it being official canon for the main warhammer line?

According to the people over at Warseer it was Rick Priestley who wrote it and said it was an alternate timeline. I wasn't there (grr) so I can't say for sure myself.

Quote Originally Posted by miteyheroes View Post
    Hmm, I chatted to Mark Bedford for ages and he didn't suggest it was an alternate timeline. Odd. Guess we'll see what happens...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    According to the people over at Warseer it was Rick Priestley who wrote it and said it was an alternate timeline. I wasn't there (grr) so I can't say for sure myself.
    Yeah, it was definitely Rick that's being doing all that side of it. Sadly I didn't get to speak to him, he was faaaaaar too busy. But yes, Rick'd know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast