Veteran-Sergeant

Default Salamanders 1750 army list review

This is approximate:

2 multimelta/ccw/heavy flamer dreads
    1 t.l. lascannon/missile launcher dread
    2 assault cannon/ccw/heavy flamer dreads

master of the forge w/ conversion beamer

vulkan hestan

2 tactical squads in rhinos (missile/flamer)

6 th/ss terminators

i'm just worried since i have no drop pods, i'll get screwed on the deployment type where you start with up to 1 hq and 2 troops, then everything else starts in reserve.

i really want to bring out 5 dreads for fun. what changes can i make in the list besides the dreads?

sounds like fun to me, but I would say you really need pods to make that even scarier. Also it would be very difficult to seize objectives with only 2-4 capturing units. I would drop the master of the forge and get pods in there, maybe take out the termies for another tactical squad, not sure how the points are on this

btw i'm a noob still so take what i said too srslt now :P

Veteran-Sergeant

i appreciate the advice..

i was considering another tac squad instead of the termies... but i didnt think this would have the punch needed to "shoo" away powerfist/powerklaw units running up on the dreads (obviously a big part of this list is keeping the dreads alive as long as possible to get all the twin-linked goodness out of them)

Veteran-Sergeant

you are really lacking firepower, if you faced a swarm army you are screwed, and to be honest, I would take out the troops first, since you only have two, so you cant capture any objectives. I mean if you face somwone with antitank, your dreads are done for, I would say take out some dreads, I only use one, with an assault cannon. You will be out number for sure, you need to think out what you want to do, because it will take you some time to get to your problem, if you face a fast army, like eldar. Marines can field a balanced army of both anti-tank and troop. If you want i can share my 1750 marine list

Chapter-Master

Thats a lot of dreads....too many in my opinion.

I like the first two. Keep them because you'll get your rerolls.
    In the Salllies list I like to run, I mount my Termies WITH VUlkan in a LRReedemer. That allows them to be mobile.

If you don't want to do that, I'd say maybe dropping a dread or two for some MM devastator squads. Stick them in some cover by your objective and with your fortified defenses from the MotF, buff their cover save to 3+, making them a ***** of a dug in tick to kill in order to claim an objective.

I think 4 of your dreads are fine... I'd just get rid of the Las/ML dread. He doesn't get any bonuses from your HQ, and though I understand his purpose, you SHOULD be able to get your MM dreads close enough to handle some armour. If not, youv'e got your dev squad waiting at your objective to fry anything that gets too close.

My copper nickle.

Veteran-Sergeant

yes keith please share your list!

so i guess 5 dreads is a bad idea? you know 4 of those dreads have twin-linked heavy flamers. thats pretty rough on swarm armies, yes?

anti-tank: 2 twin-linked multi-meltas, a twin linked lascannon, 3 missile launchers, combi-meltas on the sergeants, 6 thunder hammer termies.. is that not enough these days?

Veteran-Sergeant

Here is is, i dont remember points wist, but it is under 1750 or at 1750
    HQ
    Calgar

Elite
    Venerable Dread w/ powerfist/stormbolter and assault cannon

Troop
    10 Tactical squad w/ heavy bolter/plasma gun/sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword
    10 Tactical sqaud w/ missle lancher/plasma gun/sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword
    10 Tactical squad w/ heavy bolter/flamer/sergeant w/ pistol/power weapon w/ razor back w/ heavy bolter/storm bolter

Fast
    8 assault squad w/ plasma pistol/ serpgeant w/ thunder hammer/storm shield
    Land speeder w/assault cannon/heavy bolter

Heavy
    Predator w/ twin link lascannon and sponer lascannons
    10 Devastater squad w/ 2 plasma cannon, missle lancher, lascannon/ sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword

The squad w/ heavy bolter/ flamer split up to 2 man squad one with heavy bolter other with flamer and power weapon attache to calgar and jump in the razor back. Both predator targets tanks, while the devastater squad depending on what army targets tanks or elites or anything else that will hurt in the lon run. My assault squad moves forward to the closet target and locks them up, mostly i set them up to ie up shooty squads or heavy close combat hitters, dreads, wraithlords etc. The speeder targets troops and any tanks/skimmers that i can easy pop. Tac. will go towards objectives or sit back and shoot the crap out of anything that moves.

With swams yeah dreads will work but they will get tied up for a long time, like bugs or orcs. Your anti tank, meltas are good but 24" range, unless you drop pod them in they will be target quick. I mean it can go either way.
    Last edited by keithsilva; 08-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

"Predator w/ twin link lascannon and sponer lascannons"

your opinion is officially invalid if you take that unit lol j/k

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    yes keith please share your list!

so i guess 5 dreads is a bad idea? you know 4 of those dreads have twin-linked heavy flamers. thats pretty rough on swarm armies, yes?

anti-tank: 2 twin-linked multi-meltas, a twin linked lascannon, 3 missile launchers, combi-meltas on the sergeants, 6 thunder hammer termies.. is that not enough these days?
    No, no, it isn't that. It's just you have to remember with our walkers one unlucky shot can make them effectively terrain. I just prefer to go with a few more units, and thats where the devastator squad comes in. If you run a dev squad in fortified terrain, you're getting a 3+ cover save. Run your 10 man squad, and those meltas effectively have 2.5 (6 guys have to die before you HAVE to lose a MM) wounds at that 3+ cover save.

I also prefer having Vulkan embedded in a mobile squad of termies. I know there are plenty of folks that say you should just leave Vulkan be and get your bonuses, but the dude can be a tank in CC. Sure, an unlucky inv. roll against a powerfist can wipe him out in one shot...but you get a 3+ inv save. I'll take my chances usually.

If you're looking for troop sinks or swarm sinks, your termies and 2-3 dreds will be MORE than enough. If you're playing a swarm that you can get into CC, there isn't going to be much in the swarms that can kill your Termies or Dreads in CC. That leaves your with other units to capture objs. and screen other units.

Again, I think that list would be fun to play, but I think it could be tweaked to fit a Vulkan list better. Also, I'll note that I like playing my Sallies really fluffy, so I don't use bikes or speeders with that list at all; it's pretty much firey weapons and hammers.

Veteran-Sergeant

lol hey it works wonders for me its destoryed its share of LR, falcons, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast