BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default DE Archon on reaver converion help

I've been buying up a lot of the old style DE minis for my new DE army (I may replace the infantry then the news ones are released, but I like the old vehicles more then the new ones), and one of the things I picked up was a badly done Archon on reaver jetbike conversion.

I've pretty much finished working on the bike, I haven't done much as ide from stripping off the lumpy paint and cleaning a few edges up and reworking a few of the blades (and made one into a gun blade), but one thing im completly replacing is the archon conversion... it was a rather badly converted wych mini and just didn't look right.

I did give consideration to cutting the top half of an archon infantry mini and attaching that with a reworked arm, but that wouldn't look right either. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to make my own (well convert from the body of a standard rider at least), I can do the body arms and im sure I can find a suitable sword for him, however the thing which will clinch the mini is going to be the head.

I went through the old reaver sculpts and even through the previews of the new ones, and I noticed a very un DE like trend. The headgear worn by the reaver riders is very functional rather than impressive or ornate.

So on to the point of this thread... I want to make my archon on reaver stand out as an archon, but at the same time I want to keep the trend the rest of the army shares with function over form the the reaver riders head gear. The idea I came up with was to sculpt the face plate from the new archon/incubi onto a standard reaver head but to leave the hornes off.

Where I need your help is simply this, do you think that would make enough of an impression of being an archon? and can you think of any other ways I can acheive this?

Well since your working with the old style jetbike You could really spike the bike itself up and make it stand out. Included is a couple pics of my shadowfield bike pimp Archon. As far as my Archon conversion himself went I casted a tormentor helm off an incubi in greenstuff and scratch built a punisher; but with the new dex coming I'd wait on equipment. I know the model still needs some cleaning up but he's gonna have a khorne berserker amount of gore on his bike so once painted the thicker connections won't be noticed. Hope this helped .

Last edited by Mizzrym; 10-02-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Wow you like large images man... lots of screen scroll with those puppies

Still as far as the bikes goes its for 2 raider scythe blades on it, one under the nose and thoe other replacing where the rifle goes (this is the blade I cut down to attach the rifle to the top of the blade, before it was just stuck badly to the back).

I may add more spikes to the bike itself (ohh its nose or rotated 90 degrees around the z axis as you look at the side of the bike), mainly its the archon itself that im still debating how to convert.

Chapter-Master

how about building a platfor at the back of the bike (where the gun is) and having an archon and a driver? oh and a bigger bike more spikes and a nice banner of human flesh.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Its a nifty idea. I should point out, though, that there is apparently no option for an archon to ride a reaver jetbike in the new codex.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Well I have the current codex and a couple months playtime with it.. and if it does drop from the list in the new book then i'll just use it as a squad leader (if at all).

*Edit*

I really don't want to mount a platform for an archon mini to styand on... then the reaver would become a viper, and vipers suck so bad its not even funny.
    If I limit the further conversion work to the rider then I can always double the mini as a squad leader, im thinking dual useage here.
    Last edited by Mal; 10-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.