BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Salamanders

Chaplain

Default Salamanders

Salamanders have 7 Company's right.
    1st is the Fire Drakes
    7th is scouts?
    How does this work?
    How many are in the Company ie 100 or 200?
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Veteran-Sergeant

The number of Companies were reduced after they took crippling losses against a Hive Fleet Leviathan SPlinter Fleet and during the 3rd war for Armaggedon where the Salamanders took the brunt of the impact.
    No this world is theirs!

Chaplain

I just finished reading salamander and in the book it seemed as though there was a reason for the 7 companies as dictated by thier Primarch after the Herasy.
    And still which of the Co.'s are battle companies and which are reserve and which is the scout?
    Last edited by sangrail777; 10-07-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Chaplain

I believe that there are seven companies because there are seven major settlements on Nocturne. Cant remember where I got this from but Im sure ive read it.

Their companies each have 120 battle brothers with the exception of the 7th(scout) company, which only maintains around 60 scouts. The battle companies (2-4) each have one additional tactical and devastator squad, making their count 7 tactical, 3 devastator and 2 assault squads. Both of their reserve companies(5 and 6) are made up of 8 tactical squads and 4 devastator squads.

Dont remember much about the fire drakes except that I think they brand themselves alot.

Veteran-Sergeant

The Firedrakes have some of the best armour and weapons in any 1st company due to the Forge skills that each marine from the chapter posseses. Hence why a typical Salamander force will have more Terminator armour and more master crafted weapons than almost anybody else
    No this world is theirs!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by AirHorse View Post
    I believe that there are seven companies because there are seven major settlements on Nocturne. Cant remember where I got this from but Im sure ive read it.

Their companies each have 120 battle brothers with the exception of the 7th(scout) company, which only maintains around 60 scouts. The battle companies (2-4) each have one additional tactical and devastator squad, making their count 7 tactical, 3 devastator and 2 assault squads. Both of their reserve companies(5 and 6) are made up of 8 tactical squads and 4 devastator squads.

Dont remember much about the fire drakes except that I think they brand themselves alot.
    This is all true. Each company recruites from a specific tribew from Nocturn, while Battle Brothers can be promoted from one company to another. they have an adnormaly large amount of veterans. The only thing I would point out is that ALL Salamanders brand themselves but only firedrakes brand their faces. The entire first company is all veterans.

Veteran-Sergeant

I really think that out of the remaining 1st Founding chapters, the Salamanders would be the best bet for a codex. We have our own Land Raider variants (Promethius), have a Strange company layout and would be the only genereicly green force out there (Barring those Greenskins obvcourse). Fluff wise they would be easy to write on with Vulkan He'stan's quest to find the remaining Relics of Vulkan, the War's of Armaggedon, why the company layout is such etc etc. C'mon GW, you know you wanna
    No this world is theirs!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew283 View Post
    I really think that out of the remaining 1st Founding chapters, the Salamanders would be the best bet for a codex. We have our own Land Raider variants (Promethius), have a Strange company layout and would be the only genereicly green force out there (Barring those Greenskins obvcourse). Fluff wise they would be easy to write on with Vulkan He'stan's quest to find the remaining Relics of Vulkan, the War's of Armaggedon, why the company layout is such etc etc. C'mon GW, you know you wanna
    I know and the fans have been screaming for one for years but alas I don't think it will happen any time soon

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew283 View Post
    As much as that is true the salamanders are at heart a codex chapter and the main differences about them as a fighting force is the numbers and organisation of squads within the companies. Blood angels, while still a codex force, also field alot of unique squads and have a very distinguishing genetic trait. If the remaining salamanders characters got reestablished that would be much more appropriate i think