BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Bonesword/Lashwhip vs Dual Boneswords

I am looking for some practical advice. I keep wavering back and forth on how to equip some Tyranid Warriors. Do I go with dual boneswords or bonesword/lashwhip?

I will be slicing the talons off to replace with my final decision. The warriors in question also have rending claws. While I like the reducing base-to-base contact to initiative 1, I play horde style with my Nids. The 5 pt savings/ model for dual boneswords adds up and that means more models. The chance to cause instant death on 3D6 (on the rare occurrence that the Warriors come into contact with a multi-wound model) is a nice incentive.

I am sitting on the fence. I have talked to others at the local GW. I have tried both layouts. I am still undecided. What's your thoughts?

I would generally favour keeping the warriors cheaper and taking a Prime with a lash whip for use when you really need it.

Also, I'd probably go with talons over rending claws unless you think you need the extra armour penetration.

Chapter-Master

Personally, it is an army design preference.

Will the Lashwhips be more useful for your army, or will saving points be more useful?

Seldom do I run into the chance where to kill anyone with the 3D6. I always find it better to have Bonesword/Lashwhip just in case someone gets the charge on me, it's always nice to hit first short of being attacked by a power fist/thunder hammer squad, in which case I would go with the Dual Boneswords.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomsBox View Post
    Seldom do I run into the chance where to kill anyone with the 3D6. I always find it better to have Bonesword/Lashwhip just in case someone gets the charge on me, it's always nice to hit first short of being attacked by a power fist/thunder hammer squad, in which case I would go with the Dual Boneswords.
    I am going to have to agree. The lash whip/bonesword combo has proven to be more effective for me. Also I would switch the rending claws to either a ranged weapon, or to sychting talons. I have found that the rending is just not as effective for taking out armor as say a hive guard unit supported by zoans, and since you have the boneswords you dont gain any additional benefit in close combat against troops since you already ignore armor saves.

I think rending claws on bonesword warriors are underperforming in cost (slot).
    either get scyting talons to hit better or with a shooting weapon of your choice.

I seldom see use for the lashwhip on more than one model (use a prime for duells) so I'd save on the points for more buggs

I agree with Xas on using Primes with the Dual Swords. Kit out the rest of your squad for CC if thats your thing, or Devourers for the shootiness, but keep the Prime in front for defesne in case you get charged, this way his models are striking at I 1.

My Primes will be equipped with the BS/LW combo. That much I am sure of. Playtesting rending claws I have appreciated the chance I have to possibly penetrate armour as well as have the potential to take on the Dreadnought. Reason why I would go with rending claws too is all I have to do is snip off the talons and insert the boneswords in place. Removing the rending claws requires a bit more surgery. As a collector I have no problem putting together some more models with the scytal with dual bs or bs/lw combo. Thanks for the suggestions. Would love to hear what anyone else has to say about the matter.