BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Counter to 9 Land Speeders?

I've been playing BA, and my opp. has been playing Space Wolves.

He recently came at me with something that caught me by total surprise. 3 squads of 3 Land Speeders each kitted out with meltas. Mix in 2 Long Fang squads with MM and ML's, and I was done on turn one basically.

I hate to design a list purely against what I know my opp. is going to have, I prefer a more balanced approach. But I had no answer for him. I had 2 flanking flame Baals, 2 Demolishers, 4 Razors with troops, and Sang. guard.

Long story short, he got first turn, and just popped 80% of my tanks. My Sang. guard rolled crap for scatter and was out of range with their guns. Got hammered next round. Then those Land Speeders came in, and I had no answer for them.

Short of throwing TL Autocannon RB's/Baals and sitting back and trying to pop off his light armor, not sure what else is the best course. I hate to play a Fast Assault army, by sitting and shooting. Any ideas as how to make an assault list work, with out comprising too much on the assault yet having an answer for 3 Land Speeder squadrons?

Thanks.

Chapter-Master

Stormraven, because of all the missiles-- 4 blood strikes, a twin-linked Lascannon (or assault cannons, but you have to be in closer, or Plasma Cannon) and Typhoons should make short work of the Land Speeders. In one volley, you have a pretty strong chance of wiping out a squadron. Also, they are immune to 'melta' so they have some survivability vs multi-meltas.

Land Speeder Typhoons.
    Devastator squads with Missiles.

Nothing too drastic that makes your force static.

Lots and lots of bodies will help, his speeders wont be able to do much and when you get to grips with the Long Fangs life will be easier.

Chapter-Master

youve fallen into the classic BA trap:

unless you have a plan or know hwo your fighting

have at least 20+ models :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Occuli Imperator

Keep your list, go second and reserve. Try that and see how it works.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Why don't you guys play a second game, but you just go first?

You don't always have to roll dice to see who goes first. Play two games, and switch up who goes first each time.

After you do this a bunch of times, then you'll have an accurate idea of what you'll need to beat his list.

Then again, it sounds like your friend knew what you were going to take, maybe because hes seen your list before, or played against it before, and tailored his list to counter yours.

So tell him to take the same list, but then just take a butt ton of Transport busting weaponry, and watch his fragile army fall out of the sky.

We did play a second game and I beat him pretty handily. It was tough to pull off the same trick twice, once I knew what was in his list. Of course you can't plan for this every time, and his reserve rolls weren't that great.

I was just hoping for more insight as to how others might deal with the 9 speeders since its the first time I've ever run into it.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomsBox View Post
    We did play a second game and I beat him pretty handily. It was tough to pull off the same trick twice, once I knew what was in his list. Of course you can't plan for this every time, and his reserve rolls weren't that great.

I was just hoping for more insight as to how others might deal with the 9 speeders since its the first time I've ever run into it.
    Get tons of high rate of fire weapons with strength 5+, and blow them turkeys out of the sky.

Battle-Brother

It sounds like you've got a handle on the situation. If it was me though I would just bury him with bodies. All of his single shot tank killers would be reduced to taking out a single man per turn rather than taking out expensive tanks. The advancing squads would have assault weapons so they could potentially pop a transport and assault what was inside. If you have any long range elements they could sit back in cover and take down anything to fast for your foot sloggers to catch on their own. The one thing people rarely expect is a horde of power armor!

Chapter-Master

Counter to 9 Landspeeders? Hmmmm...
    9 Landraiders.
    YMMV, so try 9 Daemon Princes.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast