BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well since you can get neither of thosxe into a FOC that doesn't really help.

Personally my preference for playing marine based armies is a mass of power armour... its cheap to build, easy to play (and you can pull off some nice tactics) and to top it off, few players are really prepared to deal with it...

Everyone spends a big chunk of points in anti-armour weaponry/units... I take no armour... (well sometimes a single basic dread to soak up some fire power on turn 1).

Battle-Brother

Counter to 9 Landspeeders.............. crying

Landspeeder is AV10 all round... they tend to also move 12" or more per turn (I rarely see people move them slowly), this means that a glance with a boltpistol can wreck them.

Lots of marine bodies means lots of boltgun shots... roll enough dice and you'll find that 6.

Thanks for the ideas. Next game we play is Tyranids vs Space Puppies.

Which do you think is the best counter to the speeders with these guys? I doubt they'll have the melta this time, and probably the Heavy Bolters instead for the rate of fire. Assuming that the Speeders aren't on the table, what is the best Defense/ best counter deployment of Troops against this potential threat?

Hive Guard are nice, but on average you're taking out one squad, while you're fodder for the other 2 squads.
    Termies in a Spore are nice, assuming they don't land first and get thinned down from the HB's 36" range.
    Warriors w/ Devourers are nice, marching up the table with maybe some FNP support from a Tervigon.
    Hormies are nice, if they manage to get there en masse.
    Perhaps a Winged Tyrant?

I don't know, any help once is again is appreciated.

Hydras, Hydras, Hydras
    Own the skies, Own the battlefield

Hydras...Vendettas...Thunderbolt, actually. It's a flying Hydra with a TL lascannon stuck on the nose. Of course, it's FW with a $130 model and the 'unofficial' stigma @#$% to go along with it, but that would be awesome!!!!

Barring that, I'd go with...
    IMPERATOR TITAN. Or 3.

Hydras or a Stormraven are your best bet. With 'Nids...Zoanthropes in a pod, methinks.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Brother-Sergeant

I'm a Spess Wolves player and I've never heard of or thought of taking a list with nine Land Speeders.
    The Long Fangs packs are first choice in my standard list but nine land speeders are a little weak.
    SW players should be fighting with feet firmly planted on the ground.

What is his HQ and Troop?

My suggestion for your Tyranids is just lots of mans. Mabey use a couple Tervigons mounted in spores and bog him down. I've had a hard time fighting against that crap with an all troop SW force. I'm unfamiliar with the Tyranids book but support the Tervigons with something that can handle the speeders.

Good Luck
    RAGING in the name of Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well since you can get neither of thosxe into a FOC that doesn't really help.

Personally my preference for playing marine based armies is a mass of power armour... its cheap to build, easy to play (and you can pull off some nice tactics) and to top it off, few players are really prepared to deal with it...

Everyone spends a big chunk of points in anti-armour weaponry/units... I take no armour... (well sometimes a single basic dread to soak up some fire power on turn 1).
    i can get 9 lrcs into an foc legally

black templars i could get 12 in a list now points is a different issue but 12 is the max i think?

here is my simple 1850 multiple tourney winning space wolf list

ragnar
    njal

3 wolf guard 1 lrc
    10 man grey hunter flamer melta ( ragnar and njal and wg with unit in lrc)
    5 man grey melta rhino extra storm bolter (wg added to unit)
    5 man grey melta rhino extra storm bolter (wg added to unit)
    3 vindicators with seige shields
    2 scout squads 2 plasma pistols and metla gun

simple and nasty

although lately my vindicators are not as effective i am considering 2 long fangs depends on how i work out the points

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tirion View Post
    Counter to 9 Landspeeders
    A hammer. Literally.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast