BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Adeptus Custodes

I have more difficult imagining the Raven guard using a fell blade than the 'scars. I can imagine the scars using it like a mobile command center for their mobile forces, like a mini chapel fortress- possibly drawing inspirationg from genghis kahns giant yurt

On the other hand its harder to imagines striking from the shadows with a tank the size of a city block.

I'm also having difficulty imagining the ultra marines one, because fluff wise they are the marine default standard or vanilla flavour and the fell blades are all unique. I suppose it would have loads of greco-roman imagery but apart from that can't think what weaponry etc
    More Necromunda please.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    But they have a point, it would not suit the fighting style of those Chapters/Legions. I probably would have put the Raven Guard and maybe the Alpha Legion on the list as well.

Corax would certainly not use one in his legion, it would not be able to to be employed using his rapid flowing style of hit and run combat, and Jaghati Khan developed his legions fighting style from the skirmish tactics employed by the plains dwelling nomads of his home world.

If you want cannon, then FellBlades are not an official Apocalypse unit/ formation anyway. It was designed as a way to allow Marines and Traitor Marines to have access to Super Heavy tanks. You would even have to eliminate the Forge world models, not mentioned in the 2 Official Apocalypse books.

Basically, they are not fast vehicles used by the bike/skirmish/ hit and run legions/chapters. These chapters would use thunderhawk gunships, and other fast moving fliers, or fast tanks fitted with turbo chargers or something similar. They may have even developed a walker similar to a knights Titan or smaller.

Personally I cannot see legions like the Night Lords, or the Alpha Legion using a slow super heavy tank. Alpha Legion depend on ambush and stealth The night Lords use night combat and fast strikes combined with senseless violence to scare the enemy into jumping at shadows and lower enemy morale, double the guards on strategic assets and spread their forces too thinly to cover everything. I believe they mention Fear is their main weapon in the fluff for them. Although a huge tank can cause fear, it is by no means easy to move around and strike at the enemy at a dozen different locations through out the night. The enemy could easily track it down and take it out with their big guns and tanks.
    Demonette, those are my thoughts exactly for some of the fast/stealth Legions like the White Scars, Raven Guard, Alpha Legion, and Night Lords. Now I'm not saying they couldn't have them but they defintely would have shied away given the background of their Legion. However, if they do still have a super heavy or two around they may have taken a form more fitting to their style.

As mentioned perhaps the White Scars and Raven Guard could have open top fast super heavies designed for carrying around large amounts of troops and equipment quickly (kind of like a Skullhamma for Marines). The Night Lords may have a super heavy with a giant noise and holographic projector that heightens the impending doom of a populace destroying moral and driving people insane before the attack. The Alpha Legion may keep one around that they can paint in different colors to infiltrate an army's formation and then cause havoc by firing within the lines.

That's the beauty of the 40K universe, its history is so broad and deep you can really come up with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Loken View Post
    So a Stormblade with Plasma Sponsons?

Alec

The Biggest Apocalypse Battle in History - January 22nd, 2011 at all 4 US Battle Bunkers!

[url="http://www.apocalypse40k.com/"][/url]
    That's the idea although the maiin weapons will be somewhere between the titan level Plasma Blastgun and the Lemon Russ sized Executioner. I don't want to make it too powerful
    http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    I have more difficult imagining the Raven guard using a fell blade than the 'scars. I can imagine the scars using it like a mobile command center for their mobile forces, like a mini chapel fortress- possibly drawing inspirationg from genghis kahns giant yurt

On the other hand its harder to imagines striking from the shadows with a tank the size of a city block.

I'm also having difficulty imagining the ultra marines one, because fluff wise they are the marine default standard or vanilla flavour and the fell blades are all unique. I suppose it would have loads of greco-roman imagery but apart from that can't think what weaponry etc
    Don't worry, I have a plan for the Ultramarines

That the Night Lords are a force of pure hit and run tactics is an unfortunate remainder of the 3rd ED codex.

The Night Lords are part about slowly carving up the opponent, making them jump at shadows, I agree. They are however also part absolutely overwhelming and excessive force. The term "overkill" comes to mind. Unless a specific objective has to be completed, why field a fraction of what you can. They are a Legion who would, without a doubt, field pretty much their full strength on an enemy stronghold and let them see how utterly doomed they are, especially when they have already disabled key defensive structures in previous stealth raids.

Of recent publications, I recomend ADB's audiobook "Throne of Lies" that show just how devastating they can be when the target is important enough.

If you think it would be scary facing a certain unit, you can be sure the Night Lords have already thought of it.

Additionally, the thought of a few Alpha Legion loyal tank crew turning on their own lines is a very amusing one.
    Last edited by Seregon; 12-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Librarian

I never thought of the ultra marines. They are sticklers to the codex astares, but that never came out till after the Horus heresy, so I thought they would have had the opportunity to get one earlier on.

I have made a formation for the Night Lords based on Huron's Hounds datasheet. It is called the Dark Knights of the Apocalypse. They cost 150 points and the cost of miniatures,, and get scout infiltrate, skilled rider, have flank march, and can charge after turbo Boosting once per game if in 6" of the Chaos Lord. They can also only get unaligned icons. The lord has a retrofitted Bike with a multi-melta that cost 50 points (this allows me to use the Doom Rider figure). I want to field a force of 31 bikes on the table.

I should put it in the Apocalypse datasheet secton for others to look at. I have made a few others up for the Dark Adeptus Mechanicus, and Sisters of Battle.

I was randomly going through the Lexicanum (yep, I was that bored) when this popped up:

----------------
    Decimator

The Decimator is a super-heavy tank used by the Chaos Space Marines. Although most have been changed considerably by their time in the Eye of Terror, the Decimators were originally precursors to modern Imperial vehicles like the Baneblade, Shadowsword and Stormsword, the last of which it most closely resembles in function.

Decimators are armed primarily with a heavy, medium-ranged barrage weapon, supported by several reaper autocannons, and are used to bombard enemies in cover.
    ----------------------

[URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Decimator"]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Decimator[/URL]

Is this what you had in mind for the traitor Fellblades or is this a completely different thing?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    I was randomly going through the Lexicanum (yep, I was that bored) when this popped up:

----------------
    Decimator

The Decimator is a super-heavy tank used by the Chaos Space Marines. Although most have been changed considerably by their time in the Eye of Terror, the Decimators were originally precursors to modern Imperial vehicles like the Baneblade, Shadowsword and Stormsword, the last of which it most closely resembles in function.

Decimators are armed primarily with a heavy, medium-ranged barrage weapon, supported by several reaper autocannons, and are used to bombard enemies in cover.
    ----------------------

[URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Decimator"]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Decimator[/URL]

Is this what you had in mind for the traitor Fellblades or is this a completely different thing?
    Yep, I've seen that. If I ever get around to building fellblades for the traitors this will definitely be one of them

Chapter-Master

then give it retrothruster drop pod wings and active camo! like a drop pod that flies with a big gun :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Machinator View Post
    That's the idea although the maiin weapons will be somewhere between the titan level Plasma Blastgun and the Lemon Russ sized Executioner. I don't want to make it too powerful
    Well, considering that there's already a super-heavy Baneblade variant with a Plasma Blastgun, I don't see why it would be "too powerful" to make the Dark Angels one have it.

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Super_Heavy_Tanks/STORMBLADE-ARKURION-PATTERN.html[/url]

As far as the Ultramarines one goes, I made rules for one a while ago - less on the heavy weapons, but it counts as a Supreme Headquarters strategic asset. Mobile Command kinda thing.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    then give it retrothruster drop pod wings and active camo! like a drop pod that flies with a big gun :P
    wouldn't that be a thunderhawk?
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast