BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Has BoLS jumped the shark?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I remember the good ole days...

17 23.61%
  • No, don't be silly!

23 31.94%
  • Temporary set backs, normal service will resume...

12 16.67%
  • Uncle Nurgle says withering and dying is the way of all things...

20 27.78%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    I'm just wondering why getting a larger readership is automatically a "good thing" though? BoLS is not a business to my knowledge. Does Just_Me get paid for writing his fluff articles? Why the assumption that what they should be doing is constantly striving for more readers?
    BoLs sells Ad space.

They make money.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    BoLs sells Ad space.

They make money.
    Yes but is that why they do it? Surely they didn't start BoLS to get rich. The whole thing is based on other company's IP's.

What I'm asking is, is making ad money the reason for BoLS? If not, then there is no real need to pour out content just to seek readers. They could just write exactly what they want, when they want, and damn what anyone thinks.

hey,
    been a daily reader for a couple of years now,, i like the fact that there's more post in the lounge than before, but unfortunately these x-tra post seems mostley to be "other gamesystems" (which i don't play) or armylist than i wouldn't ever use.. i really like the "mild" quirky, funny, guestwriter, offangle articles.. i really wish that bols would do more for the nieche games, i can't remember the last time there was an article on necromunda, battle fleet gothic or mordheim, which is really a shame.. also, why aren't there more interviews with writers and gamedesigners, seems like a sure win? hey!

! : ?

I'll put my opinion on BoLS content this way, go back a year or so and I would read every post as it came into google reader, now I scan the titles.

I can't remember the last one I actually loaded up and read, not scanned over, but read, not to say I don't read any but the content just is'nt what it was.

I miss the BoLS of good well sourced rumours and new hobby content (by which I mean the likes of Mini-Dex's), it's what they did best, now the later does'nt seem to be there at all and to find the rumours you have to go through all the chaff. The likes of all the tactical, tournament and army analysis (which I'm afraid tend to be done far better elsewhere), the largely pointless captioned pictures which just feel like a way to boost the blog post count and excessive editorial type articles.

Sure that content has it's audience, don't get me wrong, but it seems that this is entirely the focus on BoLS now with the quanity of the new content surpassing the quality of the old. It was that quality which IMHO made BoLS so great and caused it to basicly catapult to the top of the 40k Blogging Community.

Change is fine, but when it's at the expense of something that was as it was excellent I have to question it. I'd much rather have the old slim line, high quality version of BoLS back then the all singing all dancing, forum and ad filled version of today.

The only consistant way I'm on BoLS now is browsing through the Lounge maybe once or twice a day, the same as I do alot of forums, I don't even have the BoLS front page in my favourites anymore
    Last edited by Col.Gravis; 10-18-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Gravis View Post
    I'll put my opinion on BoLS content this way, go back a year or so and I would read every post as it came into google reader, now I scan the titles.

I can't remember the last one I actually loaded up and read, not scanned over, but read, not to say I don't read any but the content just is'nt what it was.

I miss the BoLS of good well sourced rumours and new hobby content (by which I mean the likes of Mini-Dex's), it's what they did best, now the later does'nt seem to be there at all and to find the rumours you have to go through all the chaff. The likes of all the tactical, tournament and army analysis (which I'm afraid tend to be done far better elsewhere), the largely pointless captioned pictures which just feel like a way to boost the blog post count and excessive editorial type articles.

Sure that content has it's audience, don't get me wrong, but it seems that this is entirely the focus on BoLS now with the quanity of the new content surpassing the quality of the old. It was that quality which IMHO made BoLS so great and caused it to basicly catapult to the top of the 40k Blogging Community.

Change is fine, but when it's at the expense of something that was as it was excellent I have to question it. I'd much rather have the old slim line, high quality version of BoLS back then the all singing all dancing, forum and ad filled version of today.

The only consistant way I'm on BoLS now is browsing through the Lounge maybe once or twice a day, the same as I do alot of forums, I don't even have the BoLS front page in my favourites anymore
    Well said, sir. Speaking of high quality content... when are we going to see more action happening on your wonderful Praetorians again!?

I do not think BoLS has "jumped the Shark", I do believe it has changed. I do miss the days of mini dexs and the grand campaigns. I really enjoy any of the hobby articles and the fluff articles. I could really care less about lists.

I do fairly well in my local area. I have played SM (Ultramarines 5th company), Orkz (Blood Axes complete with a camoed Stompa, and IG (the 307th Royal Rifles), all of whom I have gone to or won the second round of 'ard boyz. I believe that the enjoyment and fluff of a race should bring you to a faction, not the current power list. I think our generalship will make a list competitive.

I think that spirit was what brought me to BoLS. I still visit regularly to see what new information (codex's, home made rules, models). I like visiting the lounge when I have spare time.
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I have zero interest in competitive lists and tournaments and all that sort of thing and I can't say I have a problem with BolS articles. Though it would be nice to see more hobby articles.
    I agree...

There are so many opinion articles... and so few about hobby!!

I usually tend to visit Beasts of War, they do a daily hobby article... And with video!!
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar“s Gauntlets

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I think the diversity isn't bad, doing a bit of Fantasy now means i appreciate the articles a bit more, but the warmachine stuff is pointless. Look at its section on the forum...the Warmachine and FoW bit are dead.
    I can't say anything about Flames of War as I don't play it or persuse other sites devoted to it, but I can talk about the PP section as I am a player.

The reason that I and a lot of other PP players don't post in the Lounge here is because there already is like 2 or 3 really good forums out there going fairly strong - including the forum over at the corporate website. I come on BoLS all the time to check out the WM content, but I don't bother looking into the Lounge - as you say it's dead.

Games Workshop shut it's doors on their own forum (which wasn't really any good in the first place), so that's why forums like this one become popular for GW players. But on PP's site, sometimes the actual PP staff (writers, designers, etc) will pop up and give a comment or something - they actually SUPPORT their forum community in at least a small way. So yeah, given that, of course folks are going to want to hang around in that particular forum.

Anyhow, long story short - just because the PP section of the Lounge doesn't mean that PP players never come here. I check this site pretty much daily to see if a PP article has come up. I read some of the GW articles to (as I play Fantasy) but it's not really my main draw. It's just that I spend my Forum posting time elsewhere.

Brother-Sergeant

I have lurked here for ages, and have recently become active in the forums. Originally I was only concerned with rumours, it was like BOLS had someone on the inside. Now it seems everyone has the same rumours at the same time...or rather GW has closed down whatever leaks there once was.
    Now days I ask advise on some things to get a broad spread of ideas, at least people here will offer an opinion. I also like that the forums are not policed by heavy handed mods. I only play GW games and have no interest in other systems. BOLS was fundermentally a 40k site, it isn't now and the only people who can determine if this is a good or bad thing are the BOLS staff.
    1 critisium I do have is that while some articals are well written and relevent others are rubbish, perhaps articals need to be better moderated. I still think BOLS is one of the best 40k sites but things can always be improved on.

Chapter-Master

Hrm, I tend to ignore articles that dont interest me - but I have to admit that's grown more. The recent article on minor-xeno races is the kind of thing I like though and something iv wanted the site to focus on for years so I'm quite happy with that. I do miss the transfer sheets, campaign books ect - even if I never personally had any use for it, I found it quite inspiring nonetheless.

I must admit I dont have any interest in power-lists or really rules related things in general (my group usually make up our own rules anyway).

Then again, it's run by fans and I dont think I could do much better, I mean look at my grammar ? it's hardly printable for articles is it ? I dont know, once I get some of my new armies done id be happy to contribute if there is any interest in modelling minor xeno stuff. I still have my Ulumeathi and a bunch of others on the backburner.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast