BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Disembarking from Valkyies in to Buildings.

Ok, so, I came across this during a weekend game. The answer may well be obvious, so I apologise if the solution is blindingly obvious and I'm just being obtuse... On the other hand, understanding the Valkyrie was never straight forward to begin with.

Scenario: my stormtroopers in their valkyrie arrive via outflanking and move 18 inches up to a Planetstrike bastion, pivots so the door is side-on to a building, and I declare that the stormtroopers are going to disembark on to the roof of the bastion. It's two inches from the door, so conforms to disembarking rules.

I'm then told that that will be a difficult/dangerous terrain test for the squad for attempting to land directly on the building.

Brief disagreement ensues, and for the sake of continued peace, I simply disembark at the base of the building and walk upstairs through the door next turn. Didn't matter to me either way - the scouts occupying the roof were mercilessly slaughtered regardless.

Still, it would be nice to have some clarification for future reference just the same. How do we handle disembarking from the Valkyrie directly on to the upper level of a building? Is it a difficult or dangerous terrain test? Is it clear terrain?

Librarian

i would allow that in my games, as long as any skimmer-transport could as well, say eldar or their darker bros.

I do not know the offical ruling on that though

Chapter-Master

hmmm. Well, there was a ruling at 'Ard Boyz that disembarking from the Valkyrie was measured from the base, but that is up to your gaming group.

As for taking the Difficult/Dangerous Terrain Check. Was the building Dangerous Terrain? Was it declared Dangerous Terrain before the game started? This is why it is important to discuss the terrain amongst everyone before the game begins. If the terrain is difficult, there's no need to check, because the disembarking movement is unmodified by terrain features.

Getting out of a vehicle into terrain is fine, but doing so is usually done at the ground level (all examples are done that way). Also, you could never get out of your valkyrie without using the base, normally, because the doors are more than 2" away from the ground! So, I recommend being consistent.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    hmmm. Well, there was a ruling at 'Ard Boyz that disembarking from the Valkyrie was measured from the base, but that is up to your gaming group.

As for taking the Difficult/Dangerous Terrain Check. Was the building Dangerous Terrain? Was it declared Dangerous Terrain before the game started? This is why it is important to discuss the terrain amongst everyone before the game begins. If the terrain is difficult, there's no need to check, because the disembarking movement is unmodified by terrain features.

Getting out of a vehicle into terrain is fine, but doing so is usually done at the ground level (all examples are done that way). Also, you could never get out of your valkyrie without using the base, normally, because the doors are more than 2" away from the ground! So, I recommend being consistent.
    Your last point is the source of the problem. The building, as I stated, was a bastion... so it came to the height of the door! It was a flat roof, with no obstruction, within 2" of the access point.

As a point of curiosity... Anyone know how this would be handled for purposes of normal flyers?

Check the IG FAQ for how to disembark from a Valkyrie/Vendetta. Normally you can't even disembark from a vehicle moving more than 12"

With a Vendetta they would disembark following the rules for Deepstrike anywhere along the direct flight path, but will take dangerous terrain tests if they scatter so much as an inch (read the IG codex).

Landing in ruins or the like you always take dangerous terrain tests when deepstriking.

In essence your opponent was correct, but for an entirely different reason than he suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post

Just so you know, Valkyries can change altitude, so the 2" from the ground thing doesn't make sense, provided you're willing to, you know, allow helicopters to go "down" in the third plane.
    We are heavy metal pirates! / We sail across the skies! / In our battleships of cosmic steel / we're terror up on high! - Alestorm

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Nungunz View Post
    Check the IG FAQ for how to disembark from a Valkyrie/Vendetta. Normally you can't even disembark from a vehicle moving more than 12"

With a Vendetta they would disembark following the rules for Deepstrike anywhere along the direct flight path, but will take dangerous terrain tests if they scatter so much as an inch (read the IG codex).

Landing in ruins or the like you always take dangerous terrain tests when deepstriking.

In essence your opponent was correct, but for an entirely different reason than he suspected.
    Not following you on why they can't disembark after 18 inches. "Flat out" for a Valkyrie is 24. Fast skimmer. It only moved 18, which is cruising speed in this case.

D'OH! to the other point. Just checked the FAQ, and indeed, you are correct. Short of actually landing on the roof, has to be measured from the base anyway.

Ta for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Koppenflak View Post
    Not following you on why they can't disembark after 18 inches. "Flat out" for a Valkyrie is 24. Fast skimmer. It only moved 18, which is cruising speed in this case.
    Nada. Anything greater than 12" is still flat-out whether or not it's a fast skimmer. IE a Skimmer's flat-out range is (12"-24").

The only thing a fast skimmer gets is a cover save when going flat-out. There is nothing anywhere in the rule book that says a fast skimmer going 18" is at cruising speed.

D'OH! to the other point. Just checked the FAQ, and indeed, you are correct. Short of actually landing on the roof, has to be measured from the base anyway.

Ta for the clarification.
    Not a problem.

As previos posters have said you MUST talk with your opponent about the terrain before you start playing. My guess is that you both 'saw' a bastion and just assumed certain things about it. Hope you had fun playing anyway.
    You mentioned Scouts occupying the roof. Were the scouts occupying the building while you were trying to debark?? Check page 80 of BRB, under the Parapets and Battlements heading, it is easy to miss this information about buildings.
    The Apocalypse Valk has the 'Hover" and 'Flyer' ability so it could probably drop the transported unit on the building as a normal debarkation. In 40K it is still a skimmer so debarkation works as normal. Just FYI if you were using Cities of Death there is a stratagem called 'Rappelling Lines' which allows normal debarkation from a skimmer onto upper building levels.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Athanaris View Post
    As previos posters have said you MUST talk with your opponent about the terrain before you start playing. My guess is that you both 'saw' a bastion and just assumed certain things about it. Hope you had fun playing anyway.
    You mentioned Scouts occupying the roof. Were the scouts occupying the building while you were trying to debark?? Check page 80 of BRB, under the Parapets and Battlements heading, it is easy to miss this information about buildings.
    The Apocalypse Valk has the 'Hover" and 'Flyer' ability so it could probably drop the transported unit on the building as a normal debarkation. In 40K it is still a skimmer so debarkation works as normal. Just FYI if you were using Cities of Death there is a stratagem called 'Rappelling Lines' which allows normal debarkation from a skimmer onto upper building levels.
    Much obliged. Will check when I get home from work.

'Twas a friendly game nonetheless. As I said, for the sake of continued peace, I didn't really argue the point and just went with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast