BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's also very important to note the difference between a building, like the Bastion, and a ruin, like the CoD terrain. The Cities of Death Rappelling Lines are for getting into the upper levels of ruins (CoD, P. 38). If there's already someone in the Bastion, as per the building rules in the 40K rulebook, (p. 79), you have to actually attack the building- you can't walk into the building as it's already being held. Keep in mind that buildings are treated as immobile transports. Would you try to land troops on top of someone's Rhino? The Scouts being on the roof of the building make it count as Open-Topped (40k rulebook p. 80), it does not make the Scouts legal targets for shooting or assault.

The moral of the story? Buildings are really, really good for units with large potential shooting output that suffer badly in close combat. Also, it is important to look over the table pre-match and double check that everyone understands the effects of every piece of terrain. If I had a dollar for every argument prevented by that opening conversation, I'd probably have another Company of Ultramarines.

Librarian

I'd have gone with the more fluffy aproach of the dangerous terrain test (remember that SAS dude dangling in front of the embassy? - it happens to the best of the best)

but then we tend to play solid buildings with rooftops as a 2in1, this way you can get multiple squads on rooftops etc, troops inside treat it as a transport. kind of like a transport that other models can walk all over the top like a ruin.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

you can choose to play it however you like providing both players understand the relevant rules.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Just so you know, Valkyries can change altitude, so the 2" from the ground thing doesn't make sense, provided you're willing to, you know, allow helicopters to go "down" in the third plane.
    actually you cannot modify the stand for a unit. I thought it would be a good idea for Land Speeders, but I remember the rules saying that's a no no.

I'll have to look it up again.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    actually you cannot modify the stand for a unit. I thought it would be a good idea for Land Speeders, but I remember the rules saying that's a no no.

I'll have to look it up again.
    He never mentioned anything about flight stands.

Read what he wrote carefully.... It is pretty funny actually.

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    I'd have gone with the more fluffy aproach of the dangerous terrain test (remember that SAS dude dangling in front of the embassy? - it happens to the best of the best)

but then we tend to play solid buildings with rooftops as a 2in1, this way you can get multiple squads on rooftops etc, troops inside treat it as a transport. kind of like a transport that other models can walk all over the top like a ruin.
    Which is an interesting house rule, but one must assume for the purposes of rules discussions that everyone is playing by the rules in the book.

How do you handle getting onto the top of a building occupied by the enemy? Can models scale the sides? What about very tall buildings like the Bastion?

Buildings are not something that are typically assumed to factor heavily into a game. If you look at most boards (and the BRB), you'd probably agree.
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Chapter-Master

If the Valkyrie has moved over 12" you'd be deploying the storm troopers via the Grav Chute Insertion rule for the Valkyrie (pg 56 IG Codex). If they scatter they need to take a dangerous terrain test. However as they are deploying as if via deep strike they may not deploy directly into a building (pg 95 BRB) as they count as impassable terrain. If you tried to do this, the unit would automatically be destroyed, as per the result of rolling a 1 or 2 on the deep strike misshap table (Grav Chute Insertion rule).

I don't have the Planetstrike book myself, but the only instance where I think where a squad can deploy from a vehicle into a building would be the landing pad. Not sure if there are any special rules for that. Could anyone with the Planetstrike book care to shed more light on the situation?
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Porty1119 View Post
    Buildings are not something that are typically assumed to factor heavily into a game. If you look at most boards (and the BRB), you'd probably agree.
    Can we make the same assumption about the Dark Eldar six months ago? How common something is doesn't make it more or less valid in the rules- they have to cover it either way. I strongly suspect that on average, the number of buildings per table has gone up significantly since the release of the Bastion- it is more rare for me to see a table these days that DOESN'T have at least one building on it.

SotonShades absolutely has the right of it, from a strict rules perspective. I had not thought about the interplay between Grav Chute Insertion and the impassibility of buildings.

In Planetstrike, the Skyshield Landing Pad is a little odd. It has a defined Armor Value, but it does not have a "transport capacity" like a building or bastion does. The rules for landing on it are pretty straightforward though- if the flaps are down, then something can land on it at any speed and deploy troops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12