BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

Default Chaos Stormlord Scratch Conversion

I scratch converted this Chaos Stormlord the summer of 2008 within a month after the release of Apocalypse Reload. Pictures of it in an unpainted state appeared on at least a couple different blogs and forums shortly after it was built, including Bell Of Lost Souls. I finally got around to painting it in October 2010 after deciding on a paint scheme that I first tried out on my Chaos Stormblade conversion, also shown here in this gallery. It is similar to the paint scheme I've been using for my personalized Chaos Space Marine Renegade Legion for more than ten years. Minor changes to the hull mounted gun and small top turret were made after the Stormlord datasheet was clarified a bit in 2009. Highlights of this model include a large Vulcan Mega-bolter and the small top turret which represents a pintle mounted heavy stubber that was deliberately designed to look like a twin .50-caliber machine gun. The top turret rotates and elevates while the Vulcan Mega Bolter articulates to change elevation. This model, which is based on a Baneblade chassis, has extensive modifications made to it, including access doors on the sides and rear to simulate the idea that it is largely a transport vehicle. There are lights over the rear exit door. The fixed main turret is all scratch built and there are many custom cut armor plates and rivets all over the model.

Larger versions of these photos can be viewed in my [url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-13937-4214_Chaos%20Marines.html]Gallery on Dakkadakka at this link.[/url]

[url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/149523-Chaos%20Stormlord.html?m=2][/url]

Here's what it looked like before some modifications to the secondary weapons I made in 2009 and before any paint was applied:

Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-22-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Using the phrase scratch conversion is very misleading as it implies that you have built the whole vehicle from scratch, as you are obviously selling this it would be better to describe it as converted featuring scratch built components.

The Dark Mechanic

Using the phrase scratch conversion is very misleading as it implies that you have built the whole vehicle from scratch, as you are obviously selling this it would be better to describe it as converted featuring scratch built components.
    First, I am definitely NOT selling this model so I don't know where you got that crazy idea at all. It's totally unfounded, fabricated and false. None of the other models I've posted in this section of the forum have been for sale and neither is this one.

Second, I said "scratch conversion" not "scratch build". A major part of the model is converted from scratch, but the whole model is not built from scratch. The photos clearly show what was scratch built and what's from a kit. I don't think I was misleading at all.

There sure are a lot of nutty posts on forums. *sigh*
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Very nicely done. I'm really liking the flash-suppressors, lol. Great idea. The use of stubbers instead of heavy bolters on the final top-turret is ace. A centerpiece model to be proud of, for sure.

Chapter-Master

fantastic.. huge pics tho :P

oh and harry just cause he has a EBAY store dosnt mean he'll sell it -_-

but it is a great conversion i thought that was the REAl turret :P
    good paint job as-well

-fuzz

p.s. my only nit-pick is that the stubber mount looks like a AA mount.. but if it was this itd be at the middle not the side ^_^ but fantastic anyways
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

The Dark Mechanic

my only nit-pick is that the stubber mount looks like a AA mount.. but if it was this itd be at the middle not the side
    Thanks for the comments. And the AA mount look is not an accident. I love the twin .50-cal Browning look and it was quite deliberate. Putting it on the corner balances visually with the cupola on the opposite side and allows it to rotate freely without bumping the cupola or any other decorations on the top.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-22-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

That's pretty cool.
    Definitely very nice centerpiece for your army.

However, I gotta agree with Harry, when I read the title, my initial interpretation was that you had scratchbuilt the monster.

Now I'm not sure where Harry got the impression that you were selling it. I definitely didn't read that in your post.

Regardless, it still an awesome conversion. Nice job!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    First, I am definitely NOT selling this model so I don't know where you got that crazy idea at all. It's totally unfounded, fabricated and false. None of the other models I've posted in this section of the forum have been for sale and neither is this one.

Second, I said "scratch conversion" not "scratch build". A major part of the model is converted from scratch, but the whole model is not built from scratch. The photos clearly show what was scratch built and what's from a kit. I don't think I was misleading at all.

There sure are a lot of nutty posts on forums. *sigh*

You mean its a conversion with some scratch built parts. A conversion is a conversion, and a scratch build is a scratch build - the phrase "converted from scratch" is ridiculous sounding and incorrect.

Nice work though.

The Dark Mechanic

The fact that people are worrying about this language, "scratch converted", is ridiculous sounding and astounding to me. It is a common enough term in this hobby and I've heard it and used it many times before without it being an issue. What a waste of time this is for everyone concerned. Most people understand what the term means. It means a major part of the conversion work was done from scratch rather than just by kit-bashing already sculpted, molded parts. I've never seen anyone "concerned" about it before, whether they knew exactly what was meant or not.

I'm glad people seemed to enjoy seeing the model, though it may be a while before I post another one here.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-22-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Shas'o

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    The fact that people are worrying about this language, "scratch converted", is ridiculous sounding and astounding to me. It is a common enough term in this hobby and I've heard it and used it many times before without it being an issue. What a waste of time this is for everyone concerned. Most people understand what the term means. It means a major part of the conversion work was done from scratch rather than just by kit-bashing already sculpted, molded parts. I've never seen anyone "concerned" about it before, whether they knew exactly what was meant or not.

I'm glad people seemed to enjoy seeing the model, though it may be a while before I post another one here.
    Awwww come on fella don't let them get you down, the internet people just can't stand it when they feel misled. I'll be honest when I see "scratch" I think no existing parts were used, but you did say "scratch CONVERSION" see how I put conversion in all caps that’s because that’s important. You didn't say scratch built but scratch CONVERSION. I totally get were you are coming from and agree with what your saying. I do feel bad that they have zeroed in on such a dumb attack of your wording and that such a sweet conversion has become nothing but a foot note. Maybe next time just say "hey check out my conversion" then go into what was scratch built for it.

Seriously though sweet conversion! It looks like something straight out of the emperors’ nightmare.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast