BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Dark Eldar; Cluster Caltrops vs Grav Talon

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but for the Reavers, the Cluster Caltrops is d6 str 6 autohits on the flyby, and the Grav Talon is d3 str 4 autohits with potential for pinning on the flyby...

I understand that, should you pin something you will be very happy and do a little happy dance...

But Space Marines (and let's face it, most of the time we will be facing space marines) are typically very resilient against pinning, and your chances of getting it are very low.

It seems to me that for a few points more, I'd rather kill more with more hits at a higher strength and force a leadership test through dead models instead of trying to pin.

What do you guys think? Higher numbers of higher strength hits for more points, or a lower-cost upgrade for fewer attacks at lower strength with the chance to cause pinning?

Well, Grav Talon lets you pull out an IC too, that can be useful. I do agree that against Marines the S6 hits are probabl more use, but against most other armies pinning would be useful.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Dark Eldar used to be the only army that could actually count on Pinning as a viable Strategy against most armies, but for some reason Phil Kelly decided that Pinning was too powerful, or maybe it wasn't worthless enough?

Pinning is now officially dead in the game.

Forget about trying to pin anything with DE anymore. Just kill everything in sight.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

It's worth noting that the Grav Talons, unlike Cluster Caltrops, are used in addition to Bladevanes. So on top of their strength difference, it should also be noted that when using Talons you will hit 2d3 times each compared to caltrops' 1d6, or an average of four hits with talons to 3.5 with caltrops. Pinning is unreliable, yes, but nice when it happens, and Talons obviously save you a decent number of points (10 or 20 can go a LONG way in the DE Codex (especially if you're using a lot of vehicle upgrades)). Honestly, when all is said and done, I think both are priced fairly for what they do. It really depends upon your tastes and the types of enemy you'll most likely be facing.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well, Grav Talon lets you pull out an IC too, that can be useful. I do agree that against Marines the S6 hits are probabl more use, but against most other armies pinning would be useful.
    Grav talons can't pull out an IC, thats stun claws on the hellions that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow Mix View Post
    It's worth noting that the Grav Talons, unlike Cluster Caltrops, are used in addition to Bladevanes. So on top of their strength difference, it should also be noted that when using Talons you will hit 2d3 times each compared to caltrops' 1d6, or an average of four hits with talons to 3.5 with caltrops. Pinning is unreliable, yes, but nice when it happens, and Talons obviously save you a decent number of points (10 or 20 can go a LONG way in the DE Codex (especially if you're using a lot of vehicle upgrades)). Honestly, when all is said and done, I think both are priced fairly for what they do. It really depends upon your tastes and the types of enemy you'll most likely be facing.
    I expect the wording of grav talons to be altered to replace bloodvanes, so make the most of it.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:
    Wins: 2 , Draws: 0 , Losses: 0

Battle-Brother

Well... Actually none of the upgrades say's "replace"
    it just say's "One model per three Reavers may take either:"

And in the Description there ist no mentioning of replacing the bladevanes as well.

So according to RAW they can both be used in addition to the bladevanes.

No matter if they replace the bladevanes or not, I would prefer the Caltrops as the higher strength makes wounding nearly all enemys much easier.
    Last edited by yrdetraxe; 11-05-2010 at 06:19 AM.

A model with cluster caltrops inflicts D6 S6 AP- hits with its bladevanes

A grav talon can be used in the same way as bladevanes,...
    I don't think the distinction is an accident, but we'll see if they publish an errata/FAQ. So your choice is between:

Grav Talon: 2D3 S4 hits (2-6, average 4), some of which can cause pinning

Cluster Caltrops: D6 S6 hits (1-6, average 3.5) for an extra 10 points over the Grav Talon which don't cause pinning but do wound T3/4 on 2+

Note: Sadly, one of the bladevane rules is it can only hit non-vehicle units which for me puts the Grav Talon on top.

Mathhammer says:

• Caltrops averages 0.97 dead marines and 1.94 dead guard (assume no cover)
    • Grav Talon averages 0.67 dead marines and 1.78 dead guard (assume no cover) and has a small chance of inflicting pinning, plus is 10 points cheaper.

Battle-Brother

damn.... you're right.
    I've just reread the wording and saw this myself.
    Still a bit unclear on the wording for the grav talon however.

Oh well, I have to try them both out and see myself which is better as I don't trust mathhammer.
    Last edited by yrdetraxe; 11-05-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Librarian

If you think about it logically, the Grav Talon and Cluster Caltrops are upgrades that are housed on the underside of the vehicle, and the Bladevanes are the actual BLADES on the vehicle itself. These Blades are not removed for the sake of adding the Talon or Caltrops.

I suppose time will tell which is best. Here's how I intend to run my Reavers:

6-man squad with x2 Cluster Caltrops, x2 Heat Lances

The idea is to flyby something on the ground and get behind the enemy's vehicles (to look at that juicy rear armor) and hopefully survive the next round of shooting with their cover saves. If the enemy turns to destroy them, or turns their vehicles to protect them, then the rest of the Dark Eldar army has Dark Lances. The next turn, if they're still around, they'll move to the melta-range of the Heat Lance, attempt to pop vehicles, and then move their 6" assault move away or into cover if possible, or if their target is juicy enough, they'll assault.

I don't see the unit surviving very long at all. Maybe getting one shot with the Heat Lances, because to shoot those you're giving up your chance to Turbo Boost.

Alternatively, drop the Heat Lances completely and put your Reavers in reserve. With 36" of range, you could lure your enemy a little closer, pop their transports with other weapons, and then have the Reavers zoom in on the table and start dropping those s6 hits each turn. It will increase their survivability and bring them on the table when they can be most useful (attacking infantry, not vehicles)

Chaplain

Just to be sure, because if haven´t a codex already, the upgrades for flyby-damage are limited to the bike with the upgrade? Or does the whole unit benefits from the upgrade?
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast