Quote Originally Posted by Aenir View Post

HQ:
    Belial with Sword/SBolter: 130
    Command Squad (Normal Armor)155
    Apothecary
    Standard Bearer
    1 Power Weapon
    1 Melta Bomb
    This is okay I guess. You're probably spending points needlessly in the Standard Bearer since most of the units in your army are Fearless due to being either Deathwing or Ravenwing. If you want to make this unit as effective as possible, trade out the power sword for a power fist, drop the melta bomb and pick up a Rhino. These guys won't last terribly long even with an Apothecary if they're going to footslog it. Additionally, picking up a flamer or something would make them a credible shooting threat as well.

Elite:
    Dreadnought:140
    Extra Armor
    Very nice, though you may want to consider making him Venerable if you can find the points to do so. If not, it's no huge loss.

Troops:
    Terminator Squad: 275
    Standard Bearer (Deathwing Standard)
    1 Chain Fist
    1 Cyclone Missle Launcher
    1 TH/SS
    Belial's Deathwing Terminator Command Squad is deadly, but at the moment I'm afraid they'll be less effective than they could be. The Standard can be deadly, but since the majority of the unit is equipped to shoot, you'd likely benefit from an Apothecary more. Good choice on the Cyclone, though you may wish to exchange the model armed with a thunder hammer and storm shield for one armed with twin lightning claws, since the entire unit is able to attack with power fists anyway.

Terminator Squad: 235
    1 Assault Cannon
    Can't argue with this. Reasonably cheap and pretty darn effective. On a side note, whenever taking Deathwing Terminators, try not to ignore the heavy flamer option. They're so cheap there's no reason not to take one unless you seriously need another weapon upgrade, like in this unit's case.

Tactical Squad: 190
    Plasma Gun
    ML
    Not a bad pick, but without any sort of transport I'm worried that these guys won't be too effective. A unit of 10 Tactical Marines struggles to be overly effective against infantry without a way to get into rapid fire range easily. It may seem to be a "waste" of your missile launcher, but you're always able to either drop it and save points, or use Combat Squads to have it hang back and shoot.

Ravenwing Attack Sqd: 190
    Power Weap x1
    Attack Bike w/MM
    Not a bad pick at all. Four tough models and the ability to take out vehicles. All I can really suggest is if you have the model change the power weapon into a power fist so you can deal with vehicles in close combat, too. If not, no big deal. These guys should be largely fine as they are.

Predator
    TL Las Turret
    Las Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    PMSB
    A dedicated tank hunter to be certain, this guy's probably going to cost you in the long run. He has some powerful guns in the form of three lascannons, but unfortunately these aren't as effective at damaging vehicles as their profile would suggest. If the Predator was to be removed completely from the list, it's my opinion that you'd be in a much better position as you could afford multiple other upgrades in its place. Also, try not to take storm bolters on tanks that are geared toward tank hunting. I know they're cheap, but so are flamers and melta bombs on Veteran Sergeants.

All in all, you have a good core list that could be strengthened by some tweaking. Good work.

Librarian

responses in red
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    This is okay I guess. You're probably spending points needlessly in the Standard Bearer since most of the units in your army are Fearless due to being either Deathwing or Ravenwing. If you want to make this unit as effective as possible, trade out the power sword for a power fist, drop the melta bomb and pick up a Rhino. These guys won't last terribly long even with an Apothecary if they're going to footslog it. Additionally, picking up a flamer or something would make them a credible shooting threat as well.
    That can be done, I will try that out

Very nice, though you may want to consider making him Venerable if you can find the points to do so. If not, it's no huge loss.
    I do not have a venerable Dread kit, its just a BR Dreaddy

Belial's Deathwing Terminator Command Squad is deadly, but at the moment I'm afraid they'll be less effective than they could be. The Standard can be deadly, but since the majority of the unit is equipped to shoot, you'd likely benefit from an Apothecary more. Good choice on the Cyclone, though you may wish to exchange the model armed with a thunder hammer and storm shield for one armed with twin lightning claws, since the entire unit is able to attack with power fists anyway.
    Dont have TLC, just a TH/SS that i traded a chainfist for as it breaks down, the Chainfist model has the Cyclone

Can't argue with this. Reasonably cheap and pretty darn effective. On a side note, whenever taking Deathwing Terminators, try not to ignore the heavy flamer option. They're so cheap there's no reason not to take one unless you seriously need another weapon upgrade, like in this unit's case.
    once again traded it away, but if i get another squad i might try that

Not a bad pick, but without any sort of transport I'm worried that these guys won't be too effective. A unit of 10 Tactical Marines struggles to be overly effective against infantry without a way to get into rapid fire range easily. It may seem to be a "waste" of your missile launcher, but you're always able to either drop it and save points, or use Combat Squads to have it hang back and shoot.
    I usually use these guys to sit on an objective so my terminators can go do something else, i also have a MM marine if needed

Not a bad pick at all. Four tough models and the ability to take out vehicles. All I can really suggest is if you have the model change the power weapon into a power fist so you can deal with vehicles in close combat, too. If not, no big deal. These guys should be largely fine as they are.
    I could find it it seems that they die really often

A dedicated tank hunter to be certain, this guy's probably going to cost you in the long run. He has some powerful guns in the form of three lascannons, but unfortunately these aren't as effective at damaging vehicles as their profile would suggest. If the Predator was to be removed completely from the list, it's my opinion that you'd be in a much better position as you could afford multiple other upgrades in its place. Also, try not to take storm bolters on tanks that are geared toward tank hunting. I know they're cheap, but so are flamers and melta bombs on Veteran Sergeants.
    I pick him because without him, i severely lack for AT capability, i can remove the SB no problem.
    the people at my store nearly completely agree that melta bombs arent worth the points, would you agree?

All in all, you have a good core list that could be strengthened by some tweaking. Good work.

Librarian

The Venny Dread is an easy converson, just trophy him up from your bitz box.

For the pred, if possible maybe change out the turret for the auto-cannon; it saves a lot of points, with only a small loss of AT; and is now a little better vs. medium-heavy infantry and light vehicles. The saved points can be used to pack in extra melta (which is much better AT).

Melta bombs are the poormans powerfist vs. vehciles. If you have the points, the fist is often better in many cases.
    Last edited by Old_Paladin; 08-23-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    The Venny Dread is an easy converson, just trophy him up from your bitz box.

For the pred, if possible maybe change out the turret for the auto-cannon; it saves a lot of points, with only a small loss of AT; and is now a little better vs. medium-heavy infantry and light vehicles. The saved points can be used to pack in extra melta (which is much better AT).

Melta bombs are the poormans powerfist vs. vehciles. If you have the points, the fist is often better in many cases.
    Ill see what i have for the venny, but i traded the auto-cannon away along with 10 dollars for a land-speeder that i made into Sammael on a land-speeder

Librarian

Hmm...
    You might be able to cut off a single lascannon from the turret, snip the tip of the remaining gun and model on a simple muzzle break...
    Last edited by Old_Paladin; 08-23-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    Hmm...
    You might be able to cut off a single lascannon from the turret, snip the tip of the remaining gun and model on a simple muzzle break...
    thats interesting

I dont know if i will cannibilize my turret thought, as then im TL lascannon short

Brother-Captain

Belial with Sword/SBolter: 130
    Always handy.

Command Squad (Normal Armor)155
    Apothecary
    Standard Bearer
    1 Power Weapon
    1 Melta Bomb
    Standard is useless on Fearless dudes. I would pack a Rhino, 2 meltas, and the Apothecary. Their job is to provide extra melta (something Deathwing critically lack) and an Apothecary for the Terminators. Walk them typically, using the Rhino as a mobile wall.

Dreadnought:140
    Extra Armor
    Add a heavy flamer. Pick up another if possible, 1 Dread is just asking for death.

Terminator Squad: 275
    Standard Bearer (Deathwing Standard)
    1 Chain Fist
    1 Cyclone Missle Launcher
    1 TH/SS
    Slogging squads don't need the Standard, you'll find the Apothecary much more effective. Stick to LCs over the TH/SS so you can get some swings at I4. Assault Cannon is a more flexible option than the CML, I'd pick it every time unless you went mass ML.

Terminator Squad: 235
    1 Assault Cannon
    245 actually. Great unit.

Plasma Gun
    ML
    What are these guys doing? 1 Missile Launcher isn't doing anything, 1 plasma gun on foot is slightly more useful but still meh. Either go for a multi-melta, flamer, and Rhino or drop for another Terminator squad.

Power Weap x1
    Attack Bike w/MM
    Swap PW for meltas and we've got something to work with. Small and an obvious target though, so field another.

Predator
    TL Las Turret
    Las Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    PMSB
    Too expensive and lascannons are not great tank busters.

It's a little bit of everything, so you'll always be outclassed. Pick a focus and stick with it. You've got scoring Terminators, so capitalize on that. Scoring Termies en masse with 2 Apothecaries are a huge pain to kill. All you need after that is some anti-tank, particularly melta. RW Bikes or Speeders, Dreads, and the command squad. For flexibility, a cheap dakka Predator or two will give you a lot of high S shots down range to knock out light AV and tag wounds on MCs. Some AV14 wouldn't hurt either, so you may want Sammael stuck in too.

Plasma Gun
    ML

Power Weap x1
    Attack Bike w/MM

Predator
    TL Las Turret
    Las Sponsons
    Extra Armor
    PMSB
    Drop the tact squad and take a third Terminator squad. So you will have three Termiantor squads and will have the chance to bring 2 in the first round.
    You can get the ponits by changing the Predator. For me twinlinked Las were fine in the last games.

You will also have the problem, that your enemy has only 2 units for his anti-tank fire. So the Pred will not be able to fire most of the time - maybe drop it ant take a Dev Squad or bikes with meltas (another Ravenwing would also be nice for the Deathwing to drop by).

For Ravenwing take melta an Powerfist.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMarines View Post
    Drop the tact squad and take a third Terminator squad. So you will have three Termiantor squads and will have the chance to bring 2 in the first round.
    You can get the ponits by changing the Predator. For me twinlinked Las were fine in the last games.

You will also have the problem, that your enemy has only 2 units for his anti-tank fire. So the Pred will not be able to fire most of the time - maybe drop it ant take a Dev Squad or bikes with meltas (another Ravenwing would also be nice for the Deathwing to drop by).

For Ravenwing take melta an Powerfist.
    Is the expense of the terminator worth it versus a cheaper squad who can sit on objectives and free up my terminators to do whatever they need to do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast