BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default My name is Jim and I'm a Guard player

OK time for a whinge. I don't do this often but . . .

I'm starting to get irritated by these constant online screams that the Guard codex is over-powered. It has some powerful builds, sure, but the codex itself is not overpowered. It is just full of options, and most of them lead to an enjoyable and balanced game in my experience. I'm a guard player and I:

- Don't own a Valkyrie or a Vendetta.
    - Only field five tanks, two of which are chimera's in 1500 pts.
    - Regularly field rough riders and Ogryns.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't automatically lose, and most of my games are draws or close fought against my regular opponents who I'd say have about the same skill level as I do. The Guard codex just has so many potential builds and many of them are well-balanced for a fun, challenging game against other codexes. It makes me sad when the online wisdom is that guard players are cheaty WAAC jerks who all field a bazillion chimeras. There is just so much more to the codex than that, and people are missing out.

Eh, that's all. News flash! The internet is judgmental and thoughtless!

Battle-Brother

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat.

People are constantly screaming how OP it is, and throw hissy fits when their dice show up poorly, and eventually turn in to cheesy gits trying to squeeze every last inch and buff out of their models for nothing more than dealing with frustration.

I've turned to playing Imperial Armour lists recently to deal with it. *shrug*

A word of advice for ya mate... as soon as someone says that person with 'X' army is a cheating WAAC player, then they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

No single codex in the game is that powerful.

Sure some books have stronger potential builds than others, and using those builds doesn't automatically make you a WAAC player.

Take the ork codex for example... when that first came out everyone was saying the same thing about them... yet there are only 2-3 really good ork builds.

So my advice to you, don;t take it personally, just ignore them and have fun playing your army.

Veteran-Sergeant

I feel your frustration but the current set of rules in 5th edition coupled with the current lack of any control system in tournament environments ( yes I mean comp!) has created this perfect storm. I would say that most player who play this game do it out of fun, to have an enjoyable game, and because that particular army of their choosing appeals to them due to their fluff or play style. The problem that arises is that a small but vocal minority of 40K players have devoted their lives, countless dollars, and their internet presence to pursuing tournament wins, and why would they use an army that is anything short of optimized when they can play one where the dice rolls and percentages tip greatly in their favor.

Guard has a few power builds that have been made popular due to the "information superhighway" just as the power builds that have been created from various other codexes. To be honest and fair, we all know that not every codex is capable of building to the same mathematically superior level. Guard happens to be at the top when it comes to building potential and we all know it!

So my advice to you is simple. Play your game, play your army and have fun doing it. If you want to cave into WAAC then do so, if not just ignore the detractors who cant tell a balanced build from a true Leafblower. Really why should it matter to you or anyone else out their what you play? Do what you like and make yourself happy. Hobbies are meant to be fun and last I checked 40K is nothing more than a hobby to play in your free time.

Thanks for listening! Rant off.

Abbess Sanctorum

I'm building a plasma spam company. 3x3 plascan sentinels, 3 plasma LR tanks, and then some platoons designed specifically top pop open transports in order to allow said plasma vehicles to have some fun with their contents.

Is it almighty powerful? I doubt it. But is it going to be FUN? I think so!

Also, stop using WAAC as a bad term and insulting the brave individuals of the historic [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Army_Corps]WAAC[/url].
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

I also play Imperial Guard. I've always wanted to, but with their ancient Codex I really didn't want to. Call me an Army-Jumper, but the new Codex's OPTIONS got me to finally put money where my mouth was.

It's very unfortunate that when people see me pull out The 'Guard they think they are automatically going to lose to IG-Spam. I've played many builds from the Codex, and never the same list twice. It's just plain fun!

There are some people, sadly, not many of us left, who play For Fun!

One thing that many people forget, is that it's the players' ability not the codex which wins games. There are very talented Tyranid players in my area which even with the new Blah-dex can often win. There's a Space Wolf player who never seems to win, and a Blood Angel player who has yet to win ANY games with the new Codex.
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Abbess Sanctorum

The new Tyranid codex DOESN'T suck. Granted it's not OTT like the SW codex, but it's still quite good and better than anything that isn't a fifth edition codex. At least as good as the base SM codex.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Also, stop using WAAC as a bad term and insulting the brave individuals of the historic WAAC.
    I'm quite happy to do that. What do we call 'em instead though?

Brother-Captain

If it makes you feel better, I have to listen to constant IRL whinging about my OP power-gamer armies, too. One is a shooty space wolves list (deserved) and the other is infantry Tau. I've heard people whine about how Necrons are overpowered because the Warriors won't die and Monoliths are broken. I don't think anyone is immune.

I've had people tell me my largely mobile Eldar army is un-fluffy and overpowered. Yes, because the Eldar are well known as being a slow, ponderous army that make little use of vehicles...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast