BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DadExtraordinaire View Post
    Bullying is immature and a sure sign of cowardice either online or off it.
    Actually, I would define bullying as a sign of arrogance, rather than cowardice specifically. Which can be used to cover up cowardice... or the person could just be an arrogant jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by DadExtraordinaire View Post
    A thought for you all....as the old saying goes sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    Worse than making puns?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobynick View Post
    LOL yeah it does sound bad huh but I'll put in into context.
    Ok, yeah, I wouldn't call it immature now. Context can change everything.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

I have a guard army--and I don't have a single chimera. 1 Ven/Valk still in the box, and I still have fun.

It's the attitude of the player that makes or breaks the game. Not the build.

If someone wants to play me with the internetz list of the week, then by all means. It doesn't make him/her a bad person, just someone potentially lacking in imagination and free thought.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbslinger View Post
    I did have one guy say that he hoped I lost because I was playing IG.
    See that's what I'm talking about. Don't hate the codex, hate the player! Or the designers for making things unbalanced. Not that I even think the IG codex is unbalanced. It is very well balanced if you take an army that reflects the background, so I guess that's what the designers expected people to do. Poor naive fools . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    OK time for a whinge. I don't do this often but . . .

I'm starting to get irritated by these constant online screams that the Guard codex is over-powered. It has some powerful builds, sure, but the codex itself is not overpowered. It is just full of options, and most of them lead to an enjoyable and balanced game in my experience. I'm a guard player and I:

- Don't own a Valkyrie or a Vendetta.
    - Only field five tanks, two of which are chimera's in 1500 pts.
    - Regularly field rough riders and Ogryns.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't automatically lose, and most of my games are draws or close fought against my regular opponents who I'd say have about the same skill level as I do. The Guard codex just has so many potential builds and many of them are well-balanced for a fun, challenging game against other codexes. It makes me sad when the online wisdom is that guard players are cheaty WAAC jerks who all field a bazillion chimeras. There is just so much more to the codex than that, and people are missing out.

Eh, that's all. News flash! The internet is judgmental and thoughtless!
    Try playing an all assault guard list with nothing but valkyries and vendettas. Nothing makes a marine player madder then losing h2h with guard.

Also welcome to the intratubes, it is nothing BUT judgmental and thoughtless

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    - Don't own a Valkyrie or a Vendetta.
    - Only field five tanks, two of which are chimera's in 1500 pts.
    - Regularly field rough riders and Ogryns.
    My name is not Jim and i am a guard player.

I have 3 Vendettas
    I never field below 5 Tanks.
    I sometimes field RR.

But now comes the kicker,
    i am not a "cheaty WAAC jerks who all field a bazillion chimeras", i might field a ****load of them but i am no "cheaty WAAC jerk".

Brother-Captain

The fact is that, no matter what list you play, you're going to run into someone somewhere who thinks you're a jerk for playing it. Personally, I think they're all wrong. It's not the list you run, it's the way you play the game that matters. Play the army you want to play and have fun. That's the goal.

Veteran-Sergeant

Truthfully, I suspect that intelligently-designed all-infantry lists using Straken are probably stronger than the stereotypical mechanized lists everyone is so afraid of. That kind of list can not only shoot, but it can do some crazy stuff in assault.

IMHO, what has really pushed mechanized IG lists over the top is the addition of cheap Vendettas and Valkyries to the arsenal. They are a pure no-brainer in terms of value, especially when considering them as an alternative to a Chimera. I'm almost surprised to see mech IG armies that aren't running 3 of them with demomeltavets inside. There's basically no downside to taking them, and they have a huge potential upside bonus of a turn 1 alpha strike.

Without them, we'd just be running Hellhound variants and scout sentinels. Are you scared of those? Well, outflanking autocannon sentinels are a pain, and Bane Wolves hurt, but your average player shouldn't be terrified of such things.

Chapter-Master

Imperial Guard players, much like Ork players, suffered nearly 8+ years of a bottom tier, crap codex. Full of fluff, low on win.

Let IG players enjoy the power for once.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

[QUOTE=DarkLink;103421]Actually, I would define bullying as a sign of arrogance, rather than cowardice specifically. Which can be used to cover up cowardice... or the person could just be an arrogant jerk.

No. Bullying is cowardice full stop. When a gang of youths beat up an elderly person its not arrogance its bullying and its cowardly. When somebody asks everyone else to join them in poking fun out of someone in a public format because they don't like what they are saying, then that's not arrogance that's bullying.......

Someone can be arrogant but not a bully, however, some are arrogant as well as a bully.

As for puns better than sarcasm any day - you can always watch the brilliant Monty Python sketches.....
    Last edited by DadExtraordinaire; 10-27-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Imperial Guard players, much like Ork players, suffered nearly 8+ years of a bottom tier, crap codex. Full of fluff, low on win.
    Let IG players enjoy the power for once. I agree totally !

Once the Dark Eldar get out people will be whinging like mad...you know the terms...overpowered, cheeasy ect and guard will lose some heat thats been leveled their way. As for competition the knights code states "Never offer combat to someone unable to meet the challenge", not because of a lack of honour but because the person my take your offer and die in the attempt.

I use this obscure reference to show that while you can take a kick arse army full of win that isn't always appropriate. It is encouraged in tournaments but at your local gaming club or against friends power builds say more about you than just "I can build lists". There is more to intelligence than the application of power, so you can build a hard as rock list...great, so you play a tactically sound game ...great but don't let your ego get the better of you and tell you this is intelligence. At the end of the day I argue that the aim of any game isn't to win, it is to have fun. If you turn up time and again with power lists then your ego may remain intact but you have missed the point.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast