BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Imagine a six year cliffhanger like this.

The golden throne has failed, the Emperor has died, the Imperium is fracturing, Chaos is growing bolder. More worlds are falling into darkness. Xenos are expanding their territories. Worlds band together into smaller realms to look after their own. Ultramar has recalled many of their successor chapters to defend and expand their realm in an effort to hold humanity together as much as they can. Cadia and other fortress worlds have annexed many nearby worlds in an effort to do the same. Other Space Marine chapters look to their own regions and sectors in an effort to hold back the darkness. Those without a realm of their own to watch over, such as the Black Templars, Imperial Fists, and Dark Angels, rush to hot spot after hot spot desperately trying to hold back the tide. Like wise the Grey Knights do the same, fighting as never before to hold back ever increasing encroachments of the daemonic. The Imperial Church is struggling to maintain it's grip. Cathedrals and holy sites are like fortresses more so now than ever before, the ranks of of the Adeptus Sororitas dwindling as over time faith in the Emperor slips further and further, time and the lack of new devotees taking their toll. And the Inquisition? Well, the Inquisition War has resumed. Some in the Inqusition still hold true to the Imperial Creed, while others make their moves and seek greater power for themselves.

Still, all is not lost...

Light pushed back the darkness before, and it can do so again...

Edit: This is my idea for 6th edition. 7th edition would be the return/rebirth of the Emperor, second coming of the Primarchs, the Great Crusade all over again.
    Last edited by Galadren; 10-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Galadren View Post
    Still, all is not lost...
    ...for Marneus Calgar has discovered his latent psychic powers, becoming a psyker greater than the galaxy has ever known. Now he sits on the throne, prepared to lead the Imperium back to its former glory.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Adeptus Custodes

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    ...for Marneus Calgar has discovered his latent psychic powers, becoming a psyker greater than the galaxy has ever known. Now he sits on the throne, prepared to lead the Imperium back to its former glory.
    Whilst all the while unaware of the mounting jelousy in his previous pyschic advisor, Is the new imperium ready for the Tigurian heresy?
    More Necromunda please.

Veteran-Sergeant

This. Sounds. AWESOME!!!!!!

GW should totally listen to y'all. The current storyline/setting is getting really boring, and something that doesn't turn army fluff and characters TOTALLY upside-down, while still being a change in scenery, would be a great thing for 40k.

As for my army? Who's to say a fully airmobile elite Guard regiment would have trouble finding an employer...
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Veteran-Sergeant

I have to admit, advancing 40k's armageddon clock from 11:55PM to 11:59PM would be pretty sweet.

That said, I'm having a fair bit of trouble believing the link from the original post, as it reads like a wishlist. The timeline doesn't seem to work with the current rumored timeline:
    Q1: GKs
    Q2-3: Necrons
    Q4: SoBs

Basically, they'd need to shove Chaos out the door before SoBs, which seems decidedly unlikely, or they'd have to release four 40k codexes in a year, which is also unlikely coming off the back of Fantasy 8E. The only real point in its favor is that CSMs would be a valid option to slot in for the yearly marine codex - they sell quite well.

So, yes, much as I think a Damocles Gulf campaign and mini-dex (this is the only sane way to make the AdMech and Tau sublists happen) would be awesome, I have my doubts. Too bad, as it's exactly what 40k needs these days.

Chapter-Master

Honestly, I think they could advance the story even more, while squeezing even more Grimdark out of the setting.

Step 1
    Emperor dies, and the Imperium starts to splinter into various fractions. As various xenos factions grow in strength, they start to pick off parts of the Imperium. Meanwhile, elements of the Imperium have to race to try and ressurect the Emperor and hold the Imperium together.

Step 2
    The Emperor comes back, and starts another war on the scale of the Horus Heresy, only with the various Xenos races on the offensive instead of Horus this time.

Step 3
    Another cliffhanger right before we figure out if the Emperor's Crusade saves humanity or not. Then GW can milk this for another few decades before moving on.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Orannis View Post
    As it stands the Golden Throne is falling. And the tech priest of Mars are unable to repair it.

Personally I'd like to see the throne no longer holding he Emperor's soul in stasis, so he'll be released into the warp. The Light of the Astronomican goes out and the Imperium falls into chaos. Alien races sensing their weakness begin to take human worlds as they flounder in the dark.
    A few remaining loyal Primaches make a return. Before the Emperor's Death Cypher will make it to the Golden Throne, fighting his way past Custode's if needed and kneeling before the Emperor with his broken sword. Something unspoken will happen between them and the sword will be repaired. Far away Lion 'El Johnson will emerge from his self-imposed solitude in The Rock, which he will then direct towards Terra.
    Upon hearing whispers of the Emperor's death Abbadon will lead a 14th Black Crusade heading through the Cadian Gate to do battle with his nemesis. It an apparent pre-emtive strike Abbadon an his retinue of Black Legion Terminators assault a command center while Creed is in the middle of organizing a defense. Abbadon's marines quickly dispatches most of Creed's High Command and Abbadon approaches Creed gloating of his victory to be and that unpronounceable sword strikes a killing blow only to be deflected by none other then Marneus Calgar, who teleports in, taking a mortal wound protecting Creed.
    Black legion and Ultramarines First company terminators duke it out, some crazy stuff happens cos of his chaos forged guantlets of Ultramar and Calgar kills Abbadon. As Abbadon falls he cries out Creed's name.
    The black legion retreats and Calgar dies from his wounds, leaving Sicarius as Chapter Master. We keep Calgars rules in the new SM codex and we replace Abbadon with someone who isn't to be laughed at like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Sometime later a new light will appear in the Warp. This turns out to be the Emperor ascended. As being the focus of all positive human worship for the last 10,000 years has powered him up to be a beacon of light humanity can use to navigate the Warp. Replacing the Astronomicon.
    Perhaps he can stabilize certain area's close to terra for safer warp travel allowing the center of the Imperium to stay together. Though it starts to fray at the edges. Many worlds have stopped paying tithes or levying regiments of guard, instead keeping the resources to defend themselves and neighbouring systems. The Imperium is fractured.
    Dorn will reappear with a bionic arm and marshal the forces of Terra, with the help of the Black Templars and their Legion strength he will try to hold together what he can.
    The Ultramarines return from Cadia victorious and with the help of their successors try to hold their 'Empire' from the encroaching 'nids and other xeno's races.
    Guillimen may return the scars on his neck healed and a pilgrims visiting his shrine report his eyes moving, albeit over days. The chapter apothicaries look into it and deem him to be alive.
    Once reunited with his Chapter and facing rapidly mounting losses and attacks on all sides they become more like the Raptors, a chapter that has faced extinction many times and come back from the brink where other Chapters have been wiped out. They begin to use Codex approved camo schemes (putting their pride aside) guerrilla warfare and other unorthodox tactics to survive. Roboute telling his Chapter that the Codex was meant to be an operational guideline rather then inviolable dogma.

In this time we could have all the xeno races expanding. The Eldar taking back maiden worlds. Chaos and Deldar raiding steps up on worlds now unable to defend themselves properly. Tau begin openly trading with humans near their Empires fringe or worse invade those worlds still loyal. Orks begin to Waaarrgh. 'Nids take advantage of their preys weakness. More necron's begin to awake as the C'tan's timeless machinations come into fruition. And finally many imperial worlds renounce their oaths and try to hold onto what little power they have.
    Sounds like a game i played last week.

Veteran-Sergeant

Step 1: Advance story

Step 2: ?????

Step 3: Profit

Chaplain

GW advancing their fluff? ... pahahahahahahah!! lol that's a good one mate.
    Seriously that sounds like complete garbage, making the ultras go evil? riiiight..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast