BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

I don't so much mind which direction they take the fluff... If we played warhammer 30k and then the heresy happened I'm sure a lot of people would have cried but life would have moved on... What I don't like is the non-communicative approach gw takesmwithveverything.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Personally, I like the fact that the future is unwritten as it lets us do that if we want. Besides, as soon as GW says what happens post 40k, then some people are bound to become upset. I mean, what if they write that the Imperium collapses, taking with it half the Marine chapters, the Eldar all die, Tyranids eat half the eastern side of the galaxy, etc etc? It's going to make some people mad. I like it the way it is, as I love the imminent collapse theme.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

'Advancing the story' destroyed one of my favourite settings, namely Forgotten Realms Dnd. After tha disgrace that was Spellplague the entire system is dead to me. Never underestimate just how attached the majority of your fanbase will be to the status quo.
    Last edited by eldargal; 11-03-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    'Advancing the story' destroyed one of my favourite settings, named Forgotten Realms Dnd. After tha disgrace that was Spellplague the entire system is dead to me. Never underestimate just how attached the majority of your fanbase will be to the status quo.
    Oh yes, that and Dark Sun's story. The second edition of the setting was awful.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    'Advancing the story' destroyed one of my favourite settings, namely Forgotten Realms Dnd. After tha disgrace that was Spellplague the entire system is dead to me. Never underestimate just how attached the majority of your fanbase will be to the status quo.
    You forget that Forgotten Realms is Ed Greenwood's baby, and that Ed Greenwood is perhaps the worst writer ever. Every time I read one of his (solely-authored) books, I feel like clawing my eyes out by the end. I've never read any 40k book that bad, including Goto's trash.

I've not read any of the novels. I discovered the setting through the pc game Baldurs Gate and got into it that way. Got very into the setting, ran a bunch of campaigns with brothers/friends etc. Then they go and destroy virtually all of what we had grown to love, cities, dramatis personae, even nations. I guess if the author is that bad it explains why.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

All I can say about Greenwood's work is it's nerd masturbation full of strong willed women with sharp tongues and loose attitudes about sex. My kind of women, but he's pretty much one note.

Anyway, the story can be advance without disaterous results. Look at Privateer Press. The story advanced from mk I to mk II in Warmachine and Hordes and the fans ate it up.

That's true but it does depend on the setting and fanbase. GW have a problem in that their settings are so well established and so old that any major change, no matter how good, will invariably anger many people because it will mean the setting they know and love is now a different one. Plus in 40k they have the problem that they can't just rebrand everything 41k. WFB they can push the timeline somewhat, in fact I think it has moved from around 2516 to 2522 over the past, well, however long it has been.
    This was the problem Forgotten Realms had, too, plus the added disadvantage that the changes were simply horrific.

I think the issue is how can you advance the story without invalidating everything that has been, maybe Warmachine managed that, I've not investigated the setting much.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    You forget that Forgotten Realms is Ed Greenwood's baby, and that Ed Greenwood is perhaps the worst writer ever. Every time I read one of his (solely-authored) books, I feel like clawing my eyes out by the end.
    You didnt learn your lesson the first time? Or the second? Or the third?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    You didnt learn your lesson the first time? Or the second? Or the third?
    I am a glutton for punishment. Or maybe I keep hoping he'll improve. He doesn't.

I firmly believe the 40k team is capable of better. As it is, they're getting killed by lack of innovation.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast