BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Veteran-Sergeant

That's the thing about 40k, though. Even if you move the story forward, you still have all of that story behind you to play in. People play chapters like the Celestial Lions who were wiped out, or Pre-Heresy armies before they were Chaos. Hell, the Witch Hunters codex has an IC that is dead. Even if it's a game of the Grim Dark Future, it's a historical game of the Grim Dark Future. Pushing the story forward doesn't invalidate what came before, and it gives people more to work with when building their own armies.

GW just needs to do it carefully. Don't push it to far. Like I said before, maybe the Golden Throne fails and things are starting to get really desperate, but don't wipe anyone off the map.

I'm with Galadren on this. I think a very small but important nudge foward would leave virtually all of the existing fluff intact, but could provide terrific grist for new gaming ideas/novels/etc.

For example, what if the Emp didn't "die" per se, but simply vanished right off the GT? The Custodes turn around one day and he's just not there. Astronomican still works (no one know how, but that's part of the mystery.) Is the Emp dead? Is he alive? Is he on Terra? Is he now leading your renegade IG/SM/SoB army in battle on the tabletop? Absolutely nothing else has to change, except now instead of a withered vegetable on the GT, we have an intriguing mystery that you the gamer can help solve.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by cobra6 View Post
    For example, what if the Emp didn't "die" per se, but simply vanished right off the GT? The Custodes turn around one day and he's just not there. Astronomican still works (no one know how, but that's part of the mystery.) Is the Emp dead? Is he alive? Is he on Terra? Is he now leading your renegade IG/SM/SoB army in battle on the tabletop? Absolutely nothing else has to change, except now instead of a withered vegetable on the GT, we have an intriguing mystery that you the gamer can help solve.
    Aside from the hilarity of the situation (Brother-Custodes: "Captain, I LOST THE EMPEROR! I AM SO SORRY!"), I really think that it needs to be an event with actual repercussions. That's what disappointed so many people about the Eye of Terror campaign - everyone was completely revved up to see how things would change with Chaos finally breaking the Cadian Gate, and THEN NOTHING CHANGED. GW took exactly the wrong lesson from that, and decided "no more even discussing changing the setting".

Yeah, I was one of the ones who was dissapointed in the aftermath of 13th BC, thats for sure!

Be that as it may, change has to come slowly for something as widely known and venerated as the 40K Fluff. At least at first, any changes would have to leave every race, and even every "homeworld" (like Cadia, Baal, Alaitoc, etc.) intact. Then, if all the fans' heads didnt explode, incrementally more significant changes could happen later.

Like the 11th Primarch turns out to be Slaanesh disguised as Marneus Calgar, and allies with Farsight to kill Abbadon, but is thwarted by Leman Russ, who destroys Cadia in the process.

Chaplain

some of it sounds good - new csm dex, croon models, rouge/antihero tau....

rest sounds like bull

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

Chapter-Master

Even slow change is a whole lot more than we're getting now.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really hoping this guy is the real deal. To me, it sounds legit(wishful thinking), possibly aged(I think the guy didn't post this info for a while, thus the reason for some of the inconsistencies), and very very interesting.

Ah well, it probably is fake, but one can dream.

Veteran-Sergeant

No. There's so much in there that is absolute BS and stupid that I can't even take the good parts.

Chapter-Master

Despite the common attitude towards Mark Ward, I really don't believe that he's really the sort of person these rumors would make him out to be. Maybe I'm just not a judgmental person, but I'm not inclined to think that Ward would really turn emo over Marneus Calgar getting killed off, nor that "every single person in the entire GW HQ hates his guts" (I paraphrased a little in that last part).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I think that a change to the 40K universe would be kind of neat. I also feel that we are in the midst of 40K as it is and will be left with nothing new. Advancing the story would be an excellent way to introduce new races and advancements in tech and story. Seeing how techno phobic the Imperium is. Alas, take it as it comes the new generations are taking over and we cannot halt progress....Or can we?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567