BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Ciaphas Novel: $24.99?

Someone tell me that's a typo. I'm not paying a codexs' cost for a novel, no matter how much I like Ciaphas.

amazon is your friend....
    New Dark Eldar Stats:
    Wins: 2 , Draws: 0 , Losses: 0

Chapter-Master

You do realize that $25 isn't an uncommon price for a brand new hardcover, right? Or even for paperbacks, if they're long enough.

Not to say that it's usually a good deal. Unlike the Way of Kings ([url]http://www.amazon.com/Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive/dp/0765326353[/url]). I bought that brand new for $30 and it was worth every penny. Literally. I mean, there had to be like $20 of paper in that book, it's so big. Luckily it's also extremely good, though it starts out a little slow.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Good call. I was thinking that was the paperback price.

The Dark Mechanic

The $24.99 price was an immediate giveaway that the book is hardback. It's the same price point used for other BL hardbacks like Sabbat Worlds, Blood Pact and Titanicus.

Now everyone on this side of the pond say it correctly from now on, Kī-'-ə-fəs, NOT Sī-'-ə-fəs. The alliteration is deliberate.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    The $24.99 price was an immediate giveaway that the book is hardback. It's the same price point used for other BL hardbacks like Sabbat Worlds, Blood Pact and Titanicus.

Now everyone on this side of the pond say it correctly from now on, Kī-'-ə-fəs, NOT Sī-'-ə-fəs. The alliteration is deliberate.
    I take it you got the Hero of the Imperium omnibus also?
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I take it you got the Hero of the Imperium omnibus also?
    Nope, nor have I read hardly any of the BL novels and none of the couple I have read featured Cain. What I have done for all my life is read, period, and I have an English degree. Ciaphas is an ancient name like many names borrowed by GW for their background material and the pronunciation is well established. In ancient languages the letter "C" will always be a hard C anyway. Only in the US do people pronounce Celtic as "Seltic". I'm also still working on getting people in the US to say "ar-bi-ˈtās" instead of "ar- ˈbīt". It's GW faux Latin for "arbiter" or "arbitrator", i.e. judges, and like in Adeptus Astartes you pronounce the e in the last syllable.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Heh no need to edcuate me my friend, im from the limey side of the pond

I only asked the question because sandy mitchel made a point of bringing it up in the commentary of the book, apparently many people kept asking for the correct prounciation.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Veteran-Sergeant

Only in the US do people pronounce Celtic as "Seltic".
    Being from the US, I have only ever heard one person do that when not referring to the basketball team...ironically it was my High School English teacher who taught English Lit. Personally I think anyone who would is a moron.

Abbess Sanctorum

I've only ever heard brits pronounce it "seltic".
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast