BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1.5-2k IG infantry

Ok, I don't actually have an army list but I figured this was the best place for this post (as im hoping it'll grow into a list, or at least the basis for one).

Im looking to my next project (i've already brought everything I need to do my DE and i'll be picking them up next week), i've decided on and Imperial Guard infantry list (no AV).

I do have one small problem however... I am familiar with IG and I used to play them a number of years ago... however the builds im used to for 5th are nothing like the build I want to make.

So im a bit stuck as to what could work and what will fail.

I need your advice peoples, what would you recommend I take in an all infantry IG list of 1500 and 2000 points?
    What tactics would you recommend? Anything else you think I should know?

Thank in advance.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:
    Wins: 2 , Draws: 0 , Losses: 0

What about elites, Fast attacks and Heavy Support?

What is your limit on model types (verse model count)? i.e. Rough Riders models, Psyker Battle squad models, ect.

Also if you want Heavy Support you'll have to take AV, they did away with Heavy Weapons platoons

Brother-Sergeant

The best way to go competitive with an all infantry list is with blob squads. Take big infantry platoons with 3-5 infantry squads and a commissar. Give the sergeants and commissars power weapons and meltabombs, throw in 3-5 lascannons or autocannons, a couple of meltaguns to deal with death or glory, and you're set. Skip conscripts because blob guard just does it better. The above can deal with any threat (aside from maybe 30 charging Ork Boyz). You can go gunline with the heavy weapons or assault with your hidden power weapons and mass of attacks. Don't fear walkers or tank shock, either. Do fear ordnance, though.

Take Company Command Squads as your HQ so you can issue orders to your blob squads. Consider Creed for the four orders a turn and expanded command radius. He'd be good to lead a gunline army and could benefit from a Master of Ordinance for some artillery shots. Remember that Creed can issue "For the Honour of Cadia," as well. If you want to go with an assault-oriented build, consider taking Straken to give your blob squads his buffs. Straken's command squad could be kitted out with bodyguards and priests.

The platoon command squads should be your pinch hitters and could given 4 meltaguns or 4 flamers, but they could also sit back and issue orders. 50 guardsmen being issued "First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire" would be devastating to any foe.

Vets are great, but suffer from lack of mobility if you're going completely without mech. You could take a vet squad with Harker and infiltrate a couple of heavy weapons behind enemy lines.

Most people don't like Stormtroopers, but I've had luck deep striking a min squad (with a reroll, just in case) with meltaguns close to a prime enemy armor target and vaporizing it.

Skip ogryns, skip rough riders.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Flammenwerfer13 View Post
    they did away with Heavy Weapons platoons
    You can take 5 heavy weapon squads per platoon though. That's plenty of fire power.

true lol, just not fluffy. I guess I'm nit picking lol.

The list im building I want to be an all foot army, so no armour what so ever and no rough riders, i'll also want to avoid mutants (I may take psykers but im not sure, without armour to protect them they seem like wasted points).

I'll start playing around with a couple of builds and see what I can come up with, thanks for the input.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Right i've come up with something to work on... its a first draft so it'll be full of weaknesses and glaring holes...

Lord Commisar (carapace armour, power fist, meltabomb, boltgun)

Infantry platoon:
    Platoon command squad (medipack, platoon standard, vox caster, meltagun, krak grenades)
    Platoon commander (power fist, meltabomb, boltgun)
    Infantry squad (meltagun, vox caster)
    Infantry Sergeant (power weapon, meltabomb)
    Heavy weapons team (lascannon)

Infantry platoon:
    Platoon command squad (meltagun x3, krak grenades, vox caster)
    Platoon commander (power fist, boltgun, meltabomb)

Stormtroopers
    Stormtrooper sergeant (power weapon)

Total: 1499 points.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Right i've come up with something to work on... its a first draft so it'll be full of weaknesses and glaring holes...

Infantry platoon:
    Platoon command squad (medipack, platoon standard, vox caster, meltagun, krak grenades)

Infantry platoon:

Stormtroopers

Good list Mal, I too am building a foot regt.

Personally I avoid MG on ordinary Guardsmen and instead stick to Flamer (hit automatically and would wound T4 on a 4+ and if partially over a figure or base counts as a full hit).

I would have 1 Heavy Flamer per Pltn HQ or Comp HQ to take out MEQ on 3+ wound, I would stick my MG in Comp HQ, Vets and Storm simply because they have a higher BS. I would utilise AutoCannons for squad support - good at MEQ killing as well as taking out AV10 to 12.

I would also be looking at taking a Penal squad or 2 for the price and what they get is something serious to consider as well as a chance to do some conversions.

A Psyker battle squad would be good too - to take enemy LD low as well as having a great Large Blast psyhic shooting power.

And how about some Rough Rider squads with the Mogul Kamir giving FC plus Lances = 6 str and 6 I on a charge.
    Last edited by DadExtraordinaire; 10-28-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Im trying to avoid psykers, mutants and generally anything not on foot. The idea is to have an army thats going to be a lot of fun to paint (I don't like painting tanks) and easy to play (its going to replace my friendly list as im selling the army... anyone wanna buy a tonne of imperial fists? fully painted, based with case and book?).

I may switch to flamers to remove a little more luck from the army, the lascannons are long range tank killers... There are only 5 in the army which to be fair is very light for primary AT. I may also drop the meltabombs... I really don't want to charge a whole unit into a tank to plant a single bomb... i'd rather sit back and shoot it with the order for bonus penetration.

The storm troopers all have AP3 lasguns... i'd rather not swap those for a single meltagun... the first command squad is there for fluffy reasons more then an actual need for the upgrades they have (as I said, this will not be a competative list), i'd rather have taken a company command squad and attach the commisar there but then i'd have to drop something else I may need to fit them in...
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Infantry platoon:

Infantry platoon:

Stormtroopers

Try this build: With out adding in Straken this gives you a decent build:

CCS: w/ Regimental Standard, Medi Pack, Carapace Armour, 1x Melta Guns, 1x Flamer Company Commander w/ Power Weapon
    Lord Commissar w/ Power Fist, Carapace Armour\
    Keep the Lord Commissar with the CCS for 'Feel no Pain' and the squad is Leadership 10 now.

Elite:
    Storm Troopers: w/ 2x Meltaguns, Sergeant w/ Power weapon

Troops
    2x Platoons as follows:

PCS: 3x Flamers, 1x Heavy Flamer, Commissar w/ Power fist, Commander w/ Power weapon
    3x Squads w/ Flamers, Sergeant w/ power weapon, one squad w/ a Commissar w/ a Power Weapon. Blob squad these Squads for 30 man leadership 9 stubborn.
    2x heavy Weapons squads with 3x lascannons in each squad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast