BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Right i've taken the advice given into consideration and I have come up with the first semi-serious list, there is a lot of stuff thats in this list that is simply redundant or just plain bad, but thats there for fluff reasons (and while its not going to be set in stone, i'd like to keep some of these elements).

Ok then... the list...

Lord commisar (ciaphas cain), carapace armour (which is 'forgot to return to the stores'), camo cloak (to represent his always trying to stay alive) and a power weapon (I know he only has a CCW but hes a world class swordsman so I figured a powerweapon was a reasonable upgrade to represent this).
    CCS, carapace amour, krak grenades, medi-pack, vox-caster (not needed, but IG always have them), meltagun (jurgen).
    Colour sergeant kell
    Lord castellan creed (rorkins)
    Bodyguard x2
    Master of ordinance (brasker)
    Master of the fleet (visiter)

Infantry platoon:
    PCS, medi pack, platoon standard, vox-caster, heavy flamer.
    Platoon commander, bolt pistol, power fist.
    Commisar (donal), power fist.

Infantry squad, vox-caster, flamer.
    Sergeant, power weapon.
    Commisar (nels), power weapon.

Infantry squad, grenade launcher.
    Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.
    Commisar (stebbins), power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Heavy weapons team, autocannon x3.
    Heavy weapons team, lascannon x3.

Veteran squad, grenadiers, vox-caster, heavy flamer, flamer x2.
    Sergeant Bastonne.

Total: 1500.

The infantry squads will run as blobs of 20 with a commisar leading each blob.

Let me know what you think, and any areas you think that can be improved, also any ideas for increasing the force to 2k points.

*Edit*

I've gone with the cadian forces as I feel that these represent the majority of the pdf forces well.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:
    Wins: 2 , Draws: 0 , Losses: 0

Veteran-Sergeant

I've never seen Heavy Flamers as worth their points compared to regular flamers when put on infantry. If you used regular flamers in the two places you have them, you'd gain 30 points. Maybe for a Standard in your CCS (maily for fluff, as I tihink you have rerolls everywhere you'd want them).

Against vehicles, which are a big part of the meta, you only have the HWTs. Hopefully they'll do well, but they can be a little vulnerable. Ways to improve on this would be melta-equipped SWS and/or melta bombs in your blobs. Maybe even switch the flamers in the Vet squad to Meltas. I think the melta bombs would be the first step, as it's cheap and doesn't really require much of a change in your strategy with them.

For scaling up, I'd suggest another Infantry Platoon, with more blobs. Not only is it very guar-y, but with four blobs, you're practically guaranteed to have models on the table through the whole game. Your opponent can have fun killing you by the handfull, and you can have fun still having operational units. Luckily food-guard scale pretty easily since Infantry Platoons can be so many guys. More than 80 dudes (I think) in a single Force Org slot is kinda awesome.

I can't add a banner to the CCS as I have kell in there and he has the banner.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I can't add a banner to the CCS as I have kell in there and he has the banner.
    drop the krak grendaes on the ccs

Drop the flamers and heavy flamers and go for 3 meltaguns. Bastonne can issue orders to his squad and 'Bring it down' on three meltaguns with leadership 10 is well epic at times. Plus he can be anywhere and doesn't have to be with in 24" of Creed.

Lord commisar, carapace armour, camo cloak and a power weapon.
    CCS, carapace amour, medi-pack, vox-caster, meltagun.
    Colour sergeant kell
    Lord castellan creed
    Bodyguard x2
    Master of ordinance
    Master of the fleet

Infantry platoon:
    PCS, medi pack, platoon standard, vox-caster, flamer.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Veteran squad, grenadiers, vox-caster, meltagun x3.
    Sergeant Bastonne.

Total: 1480.

Ok, but what should I do with the remaining 20 points?
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Veteran-Sergeant

Meltas for the Sergeants in blobs would be my vote. All they have to threaten armor is grenade launchers, which aren't much.

Colour sergeant kell
    Lord castellan creed
    Bodyguard x2
    Master of ordinance
    Master of the fleet

Infantry platoon:

Sergeant, power weapon, melta bomb.
    Commisar, power weapon.

Commisar, power weapon.

Sergeant Bastonne.

Total: 1500.

Any other ideas? Or do you think this is good enough for me to start work on the 2k list?
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Brother-Sergeant

Colour sergeant kell
    Lord castellan creed
    Bodyguard x2
    Master of ordinance
    Master of the fleet
    Perfectly fluffy and good. From a competitive standpoint Cain would be better off with a powerfist, but I'm not sure that's justifiable. Also I don't think Kell is needed. Cain already gives his leadership for orders to everyone with 6", and the voxes give you a reroll. I would really recommend dropping him for a normal guy with a banner as he doesn't add anything from a fluff or competitive perspective. I also don't think either adviser is particularly helpful, but that is your call.

Infantry platoon:
    I dislike putting a lot of points into PCSs especially if they don't have a chimera. They are simply too fragile. In my blob guard army I have actually modeled the PCS as special weapons teams led by a sergeant and have my big blobs with one sergeant modeled as a lieutenant. I think this unit would be best with a couple of flamers and no Commissar.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.

Sergeant, power weapon.
    I've played with large blobs of Guardsmen and found that 20 is just not enough to matter. 30 is pretty good, but even then I find I start running out of guys towards the end of the game. I would add another platoon command squad (bare bones) and take two platoons with:

3x squads with power weapon, melta-gun, and one squad with a vox and a Commissar with a power weapon.

Normally BS3 melta isn't very good, but with Creed around to reliably give them Bring It Down, they are fairly reliable against vehicles.

I personally dislike lascannon teams, but love autocannon teams. I think your better off with autocannons to pop light vehicles, and then leaving the heavy stuff for your platoon meltas.

Sergeant Bastonne.
    I really don't like Bastonne, especially since the unit doesn't have a transport or any way of getting across the board. It will be hard to find times when Creed won't be in range. I'd recommend Harker if you want to save Creed's Scout ability for another unit, otherwise, these guys are fine with just 3 meltaguns and grenadiers if you really want to protect them.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Vimes View Post
    Perfectly fluffy and good. From a competitive standpoint Cain would be better off with a powerfist, but I'm not sure that's justifiable. Also I don't think Kell is needed. Cain already gives his leadership for orders to everyone with 6", and the voxes give you a reroll. I would really recommend dropping him for a normal guy with a banner as he doesn't add anything from a fluff or competitive perspective. I also don't think either adviser is particularly helpful, but that is your call.
    I disagree with your reasons for taking Kell out. The most important group that needs orders is the HWSs, and they can't take Voxes (but they can take krak grenades and SWS can't. I dare you to try and tell me that isn't backwards). They either need a consistent LD boost, or Kell to help get orders through. While there are leadership auras that can help, they're usually pretty small, and it really llimits your delopoyment and movement ability if you depend on them.

That said, I usually don't see people take Kell, even if they have HWSs. However, playing a fun and fluffy list gives the perfect excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Vimes View Post
    I personally dislike lascannon teams, but love autocannon teams. I think your better off with autocannons to pop light vehicles, and then leaving the heavy stuff for your platoon meltas.
    I also disagree with this. If there was only on HWS, I'd choose Autocannons over LasCannons, for sure. But since there are multiple, going for heavier firepower seems right to me. (warning, quick math ahead, erros are possible) Against AV12, they have the same chance for a damage results in a team of 3, though the AutoCannon skews toward glances. Against higher AV, the LasCannon starts to dominate, and against lower AV, the AutoCannon gains a little. I see where you're going with the Metlas, but I personally favour long range over short most times.

For the 2k list I thought about adding a second infantry platoon kitted out much the same way but with only a single 20 strong blob of troops and 1 less lascannon HWT...

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggesions?
    New Dark Eldar Stats:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast