BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default What got you into gaming?

I started with 40k in the eighth grade. I had a one friend who got all the rest of us to play and he didnt have to try hard because once we went on the GW site the first time we were hooked. What about you?

Brother-Captain

I got into gaming by picking up the Star Wars RPG 2nd ed book from WEG the month it came out, just on a whim. That was in 1992 (I was 17)

As for Warhammer, I got into 40K by buying an Eldar Falcon in or around 97 to use with Star Wars Miniatures Battles, and picked up a few other pieces here and there, culminating in the 2nd ed Tyranid Army box and trading a GIJOE Killer WHALE for a completed Blood Angels army, for which I had an Ultramarines codex from 2nd ed, so I didn't really under stand how it was to work. I ended up picking up the 3rd ed rules and the BA codex and learned how my army was to play. Then I started stripping it and rebuild it.

I picked up WHFB because I like knights and thought a Bret army would be cool. I now have a huge Blood Angels and Bretonnian collection.

As I mainly collect, Apoc is the preferred format for me to play.

John M.
    Last edited by lobster-overlord; 05-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.

My two middle brothers got into it through a friend at Eton. They got the other two sets of brothers into it. Then I started looking at the interesting pictures and decided I wanted into it as well. I started playing in my own right when I was eight, but they started teaching me how to paint and play a bit before that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Same thing Imperator said (because im one of "the rest of us")

Chaplain

I was at Walmart in 1982 (i was 8) and picked up a cool as hell looking box in the game section. It was bright red, with a big dragon on the front. It even said it came with dice! Yep....the original DnD box set. I was hooked on all things gaming after that.

Veteran-Sergeant

I started playing D&D in 6th grade (1983) and it's been a downward spiral ever since. Now I own more gaming stuff (roleplay and tabletop) than everything else I own put together.

While stationed in Germany in fall '08, a fellow Marine brought me along with him to GW while on liberty. He likes to collect, build and paint elves and dragons. I on the otherhand was captivated by the awesome Chaos Terminator models... Ended up buying the Chaos Terminator Apoc force and well... The rest is history.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Librarian

My best friend bought some while I was in 5th grade so me and my older brother bought the 3rd edition starter set. I got the space marines, black templars pre armageddon rules played initally like DAngels then real BT's when I got the chance, and he got the dark eldar. Eventually some new races came out, I got Tau and he got Necrons, and me and my brother gave each a try. Couldn't get the hang of Tau so I sold them. Demonhunters came out and it was awesome, I tried to strip the paint off the BT's but melted them in brake fluid. Eventually 4th ed rolled around and Demonhunters, Dark Eldar, and Necrons all went without codex updates so we dropped the hobby. I finally got back into it for real this winter with demons after trying Tyranids in 4th ed and giving up on them months later. My brother has yet to take up the hobby again.

Battle-Brother

Had a minor flirtation with D&D back in high school (mid to late 80s). Picked up this strange book called Rogue Trader freshman year of college (88-89) and it's been downhill ever since...

When am I going to get my Squat codex, damnit.

Since I was a little kid I'd tryed to get my friend to play with our plastic army men with set rules (used a 12" ruler for movement and shooting and flipped a coin to wound haha) and then about 12 years later in "06 my roommate told me about 40k. Sounded cool so I went to the gaming store and after deliberating between SW, Orks and IG, picked up the Vostroyan Platoon box off the shelf, brought it home and my girlfriend said "what the hell is that!?!". 4 years on I've still got my beloved mustached guardsmen and the same lady some how.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast