BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Ha, those two mock army list posts were hilarious! Venerable Mullet sounds awesome, and now I need to get a dreadnought and give it a huge ol' mullet.

My group has four girls that play, and I've actually often wondered about that question myself, eldargal. One of the women is dating one of the guys in our group, and various people have remarked before how hot it is that she's interested in the game for the game's sake. I've never found a good opportunity to ask whether that's off-putting, because it calls attention to the fact that we care that she's a woman, or whether it falls into the normal category of complimenting a romantic compatibility.

Abbess Sanctorum

That depends on just how creepy the individual in question is (nerds to me aren't that creepy, as I've been one all my life and thus hung around them... but some people just are no matter what group they belong to), and whether it is appropriately timed, and the way they do it...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

My regular group has two women. My girlfriend started playing last year (slowly but surely learning the rules) and has a pretty solid Ork freebooter/pirate-themed Waaagh.
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

One of my group complained the other day about a lack of "new blood" in our group. I pointed at Da Gwen and told him "Give me a few more years", but he didn't think she'd be interested.
    Note: Gwen has stolen 1 old scout sarge and 3 (2nd edition) gretchin from me and painted them (when she was 5) and for Christmas swiped some fantasy warhorses from me, painted them, and gave them to the grand parents. Yep: no interest at all...
    Granted, I think she will need to learn to read better before picking up a 40K rulebook. That and getting female offspring to play probably isn't practical for everyone...
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    As would I, but some people mistake chivalry with douchebaggery-- some women mistake honest chivalry with sexism (making it even harder for those guys), and some men try and disguise their sexism as chivalry (making it harder for women to tell when it's honest)... it's a wonderful world we live in ain't it?

Also, buffo? Stop spamming the damn thread already. We get it, you're padding your post count because apparently for some reason you think it matters... but we're having a serious conversation here.
    douchbaggery...that's a great word, i'm stealing it (schwoop...there it goes into my infinite bag of holding). I think a lot of the awkwardness originates from us (the dudes) making things awkward. just be natural about it, if another player is female, awesome, just help them feel welcome like anyone else. I think there is an element of escapism involved for some men but if they are there to get away from their wives, they need to work on some things in their marriage, and certainly shouldn't be projecting those same issues on any other players of the female gender that are coming in to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Lewis View Post
    True, I would, but pretty much the entirety of the group follows my one friend, who likes to everything by the book and not come up with new and interesting stuff. Pretty much Rules Lawyer meets Obstructive Bereaucrat.

I dunno, man, I think I need a hiatus from playing for a while, at least until I find a new group or something.
    Take a break bro, then come to NY so you can play in our club and kick butt manhattan style...

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    I approve of the last two messages in this thread. If you are offended by either, take two martinis and learn to relax.
    i'm more of a scotch man myself...or a nice Trappist Ale....
    Last edited by therealjohnny5; 03-16-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: to further my geekness by inserting random D&D reference...i'm awesome i know...
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Librarian

Realjohnny, if I had the cash I'd love to go to NY. Michigan, at least the crappy Detroit suburb I live in, sucks hardcore.

I suppose I could frequent the nearest GW store but I kid you not it smells awful in there. I swear it's a biological warfare testing ground.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Lewis View Post
    Venerable Mullet sounds awesome, and now I need to get a dreadnought and give it a huge ol' mullet.
    "Even in death there is a party out back."

Gotthammers gentlemans club comment actually raised an interesting issue, I think, which is how many girls that express an interest in the hobby are discouraged from continuing by boyfriends/partners/etc who want to keep it as a 'boys only' thing for them and their friends? I really have no idea, it may not be many at all.
    I wouldn't put this down to just girls - the other at the Battle Missions release a bunch of 'cool' guys and a couple of girls came into the store and started watching the game and mostly being *****. Two of the guys seemed fairly interested and were asking non-smartass questions, but when the others got bored they were rather reluctant to leave, but still did.

I've also seen 'geeks' discriminate against 'cool' guys and girls, maybe to keep their club exclusive? But it's hard to say.

In my (now previous) gaming club there was definitivly a hate against "cooler" people. The geeks would attack the ones that had girlfriends, chat about how stupid it is to go out drinking and be quite rude towards girls in general.

They had one female member but as they pointed out "She doesn't look like a woman, she barely talks and has a boyfriend so she doesn't count" I brought along my Ex to the store and she was stared at to the point where she felt forced to leave. When she tried to buy me presents in there, half the store rushed to her attention untill she mentioned she was buying it for her boyfriend and they suddenly lost all interest.

The problem is that many nerds doesn't have any social skills worth mentioning. Me and my friends have an interesting theory that if you don't get laid by the age of 20 your resentment against the opposite gender starts taking it's toll and your sanity slowly crumbles.

Chapter-Master

Ignore this post. The post made by Melissa after this one got deleted somehow, so I combined my posts in the one bellow.

Double post be gone!

- edit-

I asked a mod to delete this post to get this thing out of here. Please be patient.
    Last edited by BuFFo; 03-17-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast