BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archon Builds

Battle-Brother

Default Archon Builds

Is there something I'm missing in all the builds for an archon I've seen floating around? With the option of replacing both the CCW and pistol, am I really the first to see taking both huskblade/PW and venom blades? Everyone I've read has been taking huskblade, but without poison it's only S3? For an extra 5 points you can also take venom blades, making wound on 2+ insta-kill PW attacks. It's 40 points with the huskblade, or 20 points with a PW if you feel the need to save points and not get the insta-kill.

I've only been able to see the rulebook once, but unless I missed somewhere that you can't take both together, why would you not take them both (venom with PW/huskblade)?

I'm looking at:
    Archon-60
    Shadowfield-30
    Huskblade-35
    Venom Blades-5
    Phantasm grenade launcher(not for the Archon, but the Incubi who don't have grenades)-25

And to accompany:
    -5x basic Incubi (not a fan of the upgrades)-110
    -raider with flickerfield/nightshield-80

For a total of 345 points for a pretty nasty assault unit. Not something you would want to send at hordes, but will eat smaller elite units alive; or even MC. With WS7, I7, 2+ instakilling attacks, most will fall hard. Granted he can be singled out and insta-killed easily, but vs an MC with a relatively low volume of attacks, his shadowfield should hold a while. VS MEQ with relatively few PW, the Incubi striking at WS5 I5, S4 PW attacks should eat a good number on their own.

Thoughts? Anything I missed from my limited viewing of the current rules?

Chapter-Master

You can take both together. However, you must pick which one you use each turn. So either you get a power weapon that inflicts ID, or you get to wound on a 4+. But you don't get both effects at the same time.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

You only gain the benefit of one type of close combat attack unless otherwise stated. You can't stack the effects of poison and a husk blade.

Chapter-Master

The Archon does not have the variation it once did.

Generally, the Archon will be rolling with this combination in just about all my Kabal based lists;

Husk Blade
    Venom Blade
    Shadowfield
    Drug Dispenser
    Ghostplate Armor

Why?

Husk Blade - At first I was not sold on this, being only Strength 3, but so far in games it has instant killed many multiple wound models just fine. I am still on the fence with this item, but I am leaning on the side of keeping it for now.

Venom Blade - For when you need to kill hordes.

Shadowfield - Obvious here.

Drug Dispenser - Every single choice, except for the +1 Weapon Skill, will benefit the Archon in this configuration somehow. +1 Strength and Reroll Wounds in combat help out the Husk Blade kill more efficiently. Extra Run is always great. Getting Feel No Pain right off the bat is also a great thing.

Ghostplate Armor - Your Shadowfield will fail. A lot. You need back up armor! So far, 4+ Save and 4+ FNP have proven to be so useful I can't stress this enough.

Another configuration I was thinking is a more anti-MEQ build;

Agonizer
    Djinn Blade
    Shadowfield
    Drug Dispenser
    Ghostplate Armor

This is an all around build that allows the Archon to have 7 power weapon attacks on the charge, maybe even 8 if you got the +1 Attack from your Combat Drugs.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Battle-Brother

Good to know, thanks for the info guys. All these crazy options for weapons is kinda new to me since I've mostly been a marine/CSM player since I started about 5 years ago. I always liked the speed/glass hammer aspect of the DE, but I never jumped in, mostly because of the outdated models more so than the rules. I'd have picked them up even if they just released the new models without new rules; the codex is just icing.

With this in mind my mood has changed. I still like this build of Archon, but I'm liking Vect more with his 3+ PW. So many points, but so good as long as you don't blow all the points on the Dais and required bodies to fill it. But I also have more points to play around with sinnce the units are so much cheaper than marines. Have to play around with it some more.
    Last edited by VulkansApprentice; 10-28-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Personally I only ever give my archon a single special ccw as him just carrying 2 different special ccw's means he can't get an extra attack for 2 ccws.

Personal preference, but I find the extra attack is usually enough to balance things out nicely and it costs less.
    New Dark Eldar Stats:
    Wins: 2 , Draws: 0 , Losses: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Agonizer
    Djinn Blade
    Shadowfield
    Drug Dispenser
    Ghostplate Armor
    Then why not take this build? The Djinn Blade does not swap with your pistol/CCW so you still have the +1A and 2 Special CCW.

@BuFFo: Why do you not take the soultrap? It would benefit both of your builds. And having 8 S6 Attacks would even top the old Punisher,Drugs& Animus Vitae build.

First-Captain

Djinn blades also dnt have to be wielded as it doesnt replace ur weapons it seems to be u can use say your huskblade then at end of combat get 2 free Power weapon attacks from djin blade
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Djinn blades also dnt have to be wielded as it doesnt replace ur weapons it seems to be u can use say your huskblade then at end of combat get 2 free Power weapon attacks from djin blade
    Its not an upgrade. It is Listed in the Weapon section AND it clearly stats that it is an energy weapon. It just does not replace a pistol or CCW

First-Captain

Well I just see it as since it doesnt replace your combat weapons its not needed to be weilded to be used,
    and in my opinion the reason It states its a power weapon is to make its bonus attacks power weapon attacks.

Obviously opinions will be divided, But I dnt see any other reason why it doesnt replace CCW or pistol.
    For the Greater good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast