BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

I'm fine with a painting-only competition. Many people enjoyed looking at the competition models at Adepticon last year, and imo, it's all about the models. I don't care who painted it or why they painted it. I'm just happy to see the world-class models on display.

If you want a painting competition for hobbyists, there are tons of smaller competitions or tournaments with all-around scores. Most local tournaments around here have a prize for best painted army or best painted model, and it's only hobbyists who enter. For a huge event like Adepticon, it's not surprising that you'd have a lot of people who only paint.

(and impossible to have a surrogate player)
    Actually, I saw a lot of this last year at Adepticon. >.> It's not like people check for photo ID before they play.

The problem here with this kind of competition is that there is MONEY involved and when you introduce a monetary prize it takes away from the spirit of competition and it brings out the win at all costs type of attitude. If you think for a moment that there are all powerful army lists that show up local torneys introduce a money prize and wait and see what happens. the sportsmenship or spirit of gaming goes out the window and it leads to some ummm rather interesting situations.
    I've got two GD trophies on my mantle from '96 and I've not competed since then because there are no guidelines that separate the amateur from the professional. It also IMHO impacts the noobs who come into the hobby because they see these pro painted minis and say to themselves I could never paint like this so why should I even try to. End result is an unpainted army on the tabletop. Painting is just one aspect of the hobby and while we all like looking at nicely painted minis I think that IMHO it sends the wrong message on the painting of minis. Just my twobolter rounds worth tho'.
    Respets, Emperorsaxe
    "Fear not Brothers for without fear death has no meaning."
    Executioner-Chaplain Hartmann

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    big whoop.. sorry man but these types of events only bring out the in it for money painters that dont even play the game the chick that won at gamesday one year painted her dark angel leader in acryllics you couldnt even touch the model she admits she only paints for money

thats not what the game was meant to be just my opinion
    Would there be a difference if someone hosted a wargaming competition with a $10,000 prize and no painting needed? Imagine how the painters would complain about not being at the same level because "they only paint"?

No, not really. They just wouldn't enter.

Also take into account WHO is footing the bill for this part of Adepticon. Cool Mini or Not. It's a miniatures painting site, NOT a wargaming site. There are a lot of miniatures on the site that are used in wargaming but usually they're there because of the quality of the sculpts.

I disagree that seeing well painted miniatures puts people off from even picking up a brush - for me it's what keeps me picking that blasted thing up. If it weren't for places like CMoN, I would most likely never have started painting my armies, it's what inspired me many, many years ago. It's what still keeps me going.
    Last edited by sukigod; 11-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    http://www.bigshoota.com
    http://www.waaaghfest.com/

if you want to view minis only painted by people to pad their pockets be my guest have a great time... id rather talk to a player who painted his own army and didnt buy it from poland or some such nonsense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12