BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rick Priestley leaving GW (?)

[url]http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281473[/url]

If true (seems likely) this is very sad. Not any kind of blow to GW from a business perspective as Mr Priestley wasn't that active with rules making (excluding the new Warhammer Forge thing, which is going ahead still). But for veterans who remember from the 90s (or earlier even) toearly 00s when he was much more active it is very sad.

But, it is not yet confirmed, and we don't know why, so no GW-hissy fits please.

For any newbies who don't know who he is, he created Warhammer 40,000.
    Last edited by eldargal; 11-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Fly Lord

I have heard this from sources as well. Apparently happened 2 weeks ago.

The biggest of the "old guard" to leave to date I'd say. A lot of institutional memory goes with anyone of that stature.

As others have said, no details on the particulars of the separation, just that the 2 have parted ways.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Any rumours as to why? It is quite odd, he was very enthusiastic about WarForge, and it isn't easy or cheap to sack a head of a department with 28 years in the company.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Wow that's big news. I suppose he's been there almost his whole working life. Maybe he's decided to retire or something, he must be getting on a bit.

It makes me feel kind of weird, but I suppose nothing stays the same forever. I mean, he was going to have to go some time right?

Fly Lord

No particulars on the reasons, just that the two have parted ways. Priestley is certainly of an age for retirement to be a consideration...

Still, when people that high up the chain depart, you can often expect institutional change as so much political power and long held views often go with them. Interesting times ahead for GW...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Certainly some change, but I'm not sure how much power he really had for the past five years or so. In fact I did wonder whether he was pushing for WarForge precisely so he could have his own little kingdom and the freedom to do more things than he had as GWs creative figurehead.
    Whatever the truth, it would be nice to know one way or the other simply so all the rabid anti-GW crowd can get it out of their system or shut up if it turns out Mr Priestley just retired to spend more time with his family or some such.

Occuli Imperator

Sad news... Hopefully he is going on to bigger and better things.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

I thought he left ages to ago, well at least to focus on historical wargames.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Brother-Sergeant

I wonder if he has just gone over to forgeworld so that he can concentrate solely on Warhammer Forge. When I spoke to him at gamesday he was really enthusiastic about the project and loiking forward to the possibiltities it could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Uthiliesh View Post
    I thought he left ages to ago, well at least to focus on historical wargames.
    Nope, he was running Warhammer Forge and chatting about it enthusiastically as recently as Games Day UK... Very odd!
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast